IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I want him to make a Uwe Boll-esque self recorded rant where he blames everyone. I'd give money to Kickstart that.

I had no idea who Uwe Boll is. Of course, I had to Google. Here's the first rant that came up. I've been schooled on Uwe Boll LOL.

I wouldn't give money to watch a Uwe Boll-esque rant, but I must admit this was kind of funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT1J65KHX8E

No, I didn't design that.

I can design a fake board with squares that do nothing.

Hmmm... put big chips here, those will be the FPGAs.

Put some RAM chips over here next to the FPGA

Put a row of small chips here and here for buss isolation from the connectors.

Put connectors here, here, here and here.

We need a power LED at the front and a couple heat syncs for power circuitry

I don't even have to run a single trace to render something like that.

Just saying.

• Like 1

I can design a fake board with squares that do nothing.

Hmmm... put big chips here, those will be the FPGAs.

Put some RAM chips over here next to the FPGA

Put a row of small chips here and here for buss isolation from the connectors.

Put connectors here, here, here and here.

We need a power LED at the front and a couple heat syncs for power circuitry

Congratulations! When can we expect your IGG campaign to start? ;)

I am really disappointed this console isn't going to come to fruition, but I realized about 3 months ago it was doomed when I started thinking about it and how it makes no sense to not just buy these games on Steam that requires no hardware at a fraction of the cost. I'm not even so upset that they'd be pseudo-retro games as in better graphics in the old style gameplay because I expected that, but if you're going to make a system like this, at least have an SD slot to work magic on and make it all it can be so that even if it failed miserably, you still could play emulated games on the device. Obviously those involved in this must be very passionate towards gaming, but you'd think with that passion and experience, even just from the perspective as a mere fan like myself, that this concept is just utterly delusional because who wants to pay more money for the same product? And while I hate patches and update annoyances, why would you choose to market your device as being un-updatable when being updatable is a positive to anyone with any rational thinking. I can not think of one reason aside from just blind nostalgia to bring back a cartridge based system knowing the dramatic price increase. You'd be better off just supporting the real homebrew community of all the real retro consoles.

People like to rag on the Ouya (which is ridiculous), but I wish more concepts like this would go the Ouya route and at least try to be the most efficient device possible. It is the best way to emulate games I've ever seen and while I know zero on how to put a unit like this together, I can't fathom how a device would cost $300 to play retro games, physical or not, when the Ouya emulates everything for $100 and the Raspberry Pi for even less. I know this system wouldn't be emulation, but Jesus, how does it cost that much to run small games? And if it does, who in their right mind thinks anyone would ever pay that for Steam ports?

• Like 2

Well they knocked up that price tag from feature bloat. I've no doubt the quoted price is based on at least some degree of research because if they were pulling it out of their ass, they'd still be telling everyone it was $150-$180. That's the problem with something like this, you've got to have a real good, specific, vision in order to bring it to market at a price that most people are going to bite on.

If my retro console is going to cost as much as a mini-PC that could do all the same things, it better be able to replicate beer as well.

"We have confirmed, according to our IGG rep that Paypal is canceling some pledges for no reason(having to do with something triggering their fraud dept), and we are discussing with them now."

Nice story bro'.

I'm skeptical myself. They've been losing backers for days, so if it was really a PayPal issue, shouldn't they have heard about it before this afternoon?

• Like 1

Their campaign peddles an off-line console. And that's motivated by wanting to eliminate accounts, servers, logins, and microtransactions. Instant on. Instant play. Permanence. I like that. However, good engineering sense says you should be able to update (something) if needed. This has been a desire even in the first aerospace computers in the 1960's - when you could not do updates. Could not re-weave core memory during a mission.

But it has been shown time and time again if you allow for patching for bugs in a consumer system.. Somehow, someway, the system will be perverted into allowing for microtransactions and online verifications from temporary servers.

For a while in the 1990's the PC gaming environment was ideal and balanced all those points. Everything "online" was optional. And you could get patches v1.0 -to- v1.1. You could update when you wanted. And could keep multiple versions of a game. And you could get DLC on your own terms, for free, made by other gamers. Think Quake, Doom, Raptor, Descent, and all other games of that era. And you got physical media to install on as many systems as you wanted as many times as you wanted. And you could go online for a little multiplayer activity. And it's great to see I can still load those games today on new hardware I picked up this summer.

I also think the whole idea of cartridges is lost on the younger generation of today. As it was on us back in the 1970's. I just don't observe the preservation mentality in young kids toward things like videogames. And they're not thinking about handing the stuff down to their kids when they themselves haven't even dated.

I'm willing to bet most of us didn't actively collect and think about preservation when were teens or pre-teens. Those of us lucky enough to still have our original hardware from childhood seemed to have kept it by happenstance.

At least it was that way for me. I was hesitant to throw out and let go of all the Apple II paraphernalia because I worked so hard to get it. Mowing lawns and running errands for the seniors. Sweeping the sidewalks, hauling trash.. And somewhere between those days and today this stuff became important keepsakes. But I sure as hell didn't keep the stuff because I thought I could sell it and make bux deluxe or be a savior to some poor sap looking for a bit of technical knowledge from a manuals. Or even for future nostalgic purposes. No - that stuff just sort of creeps up on you.

• Like 2

I'm skeptical myself. They've been losing backers for days, so if it was really a PayPal issue, shouldn't they have heard about it before this afternoon?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/?p=3327972

Maybe one of their backers found out the console doesn't exist and the videos are computer generated and reported them for fraud.

I don't think they are committing fraud but a disappointed backer who didn't do some research before backing might consider it fraud and report them.

• Like 2

Maybe one of their backers found out the console doesn't exist and the videos are computer generated and reported them for fraud. I don't think they are committing fraud but a disappointed backer who didn't do some research before backing might consider it fraud and report them.

Or someone who genuinely hates them or their project would have done that on purpose.. :evil: I've seen it before.

Maybe one of their backers found out the console doesn't exist and the videos are computer generated and reported them for fraud.

I don't think they are committing fraud but a disappointed backer who didn't do some research before backing might consider it fraud and report them.

I was thinking more along the lines of the PayPal story being an effort to save face; since Mike's post, I haven't seen a cavalcade of disenfranchised backers coming forward to say "yeah, my payment was canceled too, what's up with that?!". But you're right, it's also possible that someone could have reported them to PayPal. If so, they've got bigger problems because, as I've said before, the line between "well-intentioned but hopelessly misguided" and "deliberately dishonest" can be difficult to distinguish in cases like this, especially for outside observers who don't know the principals involved.

• Like 1

I'm willing to bet most of us didn't actively collect and think about preservation when were teens or pre-teens. Those of us lucky enough to still have our original hardware from childhood seemed to have kept it by happenstance.

But I sure as hell didn't keep the stuff because I thought I could sell it and make bux deluxe or be a savior to some poor sap looking for a bit of technical knowledge from a manuals. Or even for future nostalgic purposes. No - that stuff just sort of creeps up on you.

This. Pushing 50 here; never occurred to me in the slightest that I would ever want to use my old computer stuff again, let alone someone else.

There's another factor at play though, I think. I look around me at the last- and current-gen consoles and wonder if they'll ever be "collectible". Even the NGC doesn't seem to be anywhere near as desirable as earlier consoles like the N64, nor the PS1 for that matter. Is it because of the sheer amount of shovelware available for them? Or the sheer volume of each title produced? Or is it more to do with the attitudes of the modern (younger) gamer? Do modern games generate anywhere near the level of excitement it did when we opened our consoles on Xmas day in the 70's & 80's in the youth of today?

I pretty much stopped collecting at the NGC & PS2. I own a PS3 because it was bundled for free with the TV and it got used as a media client. And I recently picked up a Wii because it was bundled for 'free' with a used TV and I thought my kids would get a kick out of it. But I have zero interest in collecting for these systems - in fact I'm really only interested in retro compilations for the PS2. I guess for me cartridge systems are really where it's at, hence my (initial) interest in the RVGS.

• Like 1

If my retro console is going to cost as much as a mini-PC that could do all the same things, it better be able to replicate beer as well.

Build one up. You might spend 2x-3x RVGS' cost. But you'll have tons of fun. Or do like this kickstarter did on the cheap!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sumbodesign/mini-emu-all-in-one-retro-game-console-raspberry-p/description

..had I known about that I'd have backed them. They brought commonly-available elements together nicely. Pair that with whatever else you game on for win-win.

But this winter I'm building up several of these:

http://www.amazon.com/SHUTTLE-Barebone-System-Components-DS87/dp/B00OXLMDAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443090600&sr=8-1&keywords=ds87

..or something from the cube PC lineup.

http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/products.html

They're stylish enough and look good in a home theater environment. Pack it full of emulators and you have the best of both worlds. Permanence and safekeeping for the old genuine retro material. Capability for doing Steam and GOG. And the new neo-retro if that's your cup of tea.

Oh sure it's just crappy boring emulation, but it's here today. Right now. As opposed to some pie-in-the-sky specialty solution. You gotta go with what works.

I wonder if this RVGS controversy will be the inspiration for an entertaining homebrew videogame...

..classic text adventure played on a Sol-20 or TRS-80 Model III?

Or a modern-day strategy game where you have to run the kickstarter correctly. The advanced level would be salvaging the existing trainwreck. Packed with DRM and DLC for parody.

• Like 1

Perhaps when a really large (>$1000) pledge is refunded it trips something automated at Paypal?

Mr Kitchen's refund may have started an avalanche, both of automated Paypal refunds and of people who see the messages about mass Paypal refunds and attempt to pull out before their money disappears.