IGNORED

JAGUAR, 3DO, AND THE CDI

AtariORdead

There really aren't any truly 'shit' fighters on the NeoGeo. Like you have stated about Double Dragon, almost all the Neo's fighters has its own unique flavour to offer. If anything, it's the original fathers of certain series' (i.e. Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting) that haven't aged too well, but everything from Fatal Fury 2, Art of Fighting 2, Samurai Shodown I onwards are all great.

FWIW though, Double Dragon is definitely nearer to the bottom of the pile of a great library of fighters...

Yes, what I ment is that you need to check them up so that you like it youself, ofc there is no bad game in a "true" science or idea-world sense. It's what you like, and they all have their own twist that you may like.

There are a couple of often hated but great and cheap fighters as Doubler dragon (great game for beginners, tought me the much importand basics how to fight), also Galaxy fight is alot fo fun for the low price you have to pay for it.

The more popular games are more rare, and by that expensive or they don't even exist on the Neo CD. I know all of that. I just happen to love Double Dragon and it has a connection to Atari since it is... Double Dragon. It is only a recommendation for a low price but fun, with well balanced characters, a over all decent fighter which isn't hard to master. IF you tend to get into it, which some poster above seemed to ponder to do.

I'd say Fatal fury 1 is good, since it has the twit of you and a freind together can fight one computer in a 2-vs-1 fight, and the ending if Geese falling from the roof is fantastic (hint: only use "C" to throw him and you will win on all difficult levels.) But Fatal fury 2 and special, real bout, I think stink. Art of fighting 1 and 2 are great but not part 3, and so on. But is is allways a personal taste... what do you like, or not.

The NGCD does not take frustratingly long time to load anything .... except the fighters you can time that it's 30 sec and then the vast majority never loads again .... for fighters it is really too much as they load at every interlude, at every round and at every ending ..... it's not 30sec each time but still King of Fighters quickly becomes King of Loaders etc...

I was frustrated by it.

ROM carts are measurable in RAM. If you got a NEO GEO MVS or AES cartridge without RAM (I mean the Read Only Memory, measurable in RAM) then there was no game in it! The systems have a little bit different RAM, and this effects the number of sprites occasionally displayed on screen. When you've played a Neo-Geo in the arcade and then bought the CD system it could have been frustrating to have to wait minutes for the game to load. It's darn near impossible to tell the difference between an MVS game and an AES one.

Also, on the note of 'back ups'. The 3DO games are pretty easy to back up. Usually you just rip 'em. Sega CD's sometimes have to have the tracks added, as do PC-Engine games. It's a bit like having to add Security Sectors to a 360 disk. It also can be frustrating (meaning, I, personally, was frustrated by it.). I would recommend backing up everything you buy and never playing the original, though (Amiga rules, as I call them).

Not sure what ROM measureable in RAM even means.

Yeap RAM and ROM are both measured in bytes and multiples wrt size. And yes ROMs are mapped into the address space of the processor (either directly or via banking) so you do not need to copy their content first.

MVS games and AES games are the same: with the exception of a few charset that are MVS only, the game IS the exact same, that is why you can play an MVS game (the same exact cart) on an AES via an adaptor and save some money (AES carts being rare are quite expensive)

Anyway peace!!

ROM carts are measurable in RAM. If you got a NEO GEO MVS or AES cartridge without RAM (I mean the Read Only Memory, measurable in RAM) then there was no game in it! The systems have a little bit different RAM, and this effects the number of sprites occasionally displayed on screen. When you've played a Neo-Geo in the arcade and then bought the CD system it could have been frustrating to have to wait minutes for the game to load. It's darn near impossible to tell the difference between an MVS game and an AES one.

"ROM carts are measurable in RAM" is the most nonsense statement I've read on here, which is saying quite a bit. There is NO difference between an MVS game and an AES one, they are the exact same mask ROMs, only the AES cart has an additional logic chip.

Actually the Japanese system is different from the U.S. and the Euro. Also, the home systems have a diffent kind of RAM which sometimes displays a tad less sprites in things like explosions or repetitious effects, like fire from a flamethrower, energy waves..etc. The home version displays a different screen rate and has slightly cheaper components than the MVS board. The MVS is easily fixed and can even be slightly upgraded with higher quality caps and bios. The Japanese systems have blood and some extra animations, too. The differences are very minor, but they are there! They are not absolutely identical. You will find that most of the different variations of the games are on the AES cart, whereas it is just one variant on an MVS cart. You can often choose what version you want with a unibios or button codes,and this makes the AES a nice choice. I have an MVS multicart that is very good and sports most of the best games.

OH, you've never heard that this or that game was, say, a 4 gig game. That means the ROM (I.E. DVD Read Only Memory) is 4 GIGs of RAM (measured).

If I move a ROM to my computer, it takes up RAM space on my hard disk. I can measure it and say.. "HEY, this game is such and such ammount of RAM on my computer!"

Edited by Papa

For all 3 systems [3DO, CDi, JagCD] you can find "backups" CD that you can burn yourself so take that one out of the equation.

True, but in the case of the Jaguar you'd still need a working Jaguar CD. So even if you take the backup issue out of the equation, you're still left with the issue of unattractively expensive hardware and the issue that the 3DO still has a better library. :P

Actually the Japanese system is different from the U.S. and the Euro. Also, the home systems have a diffent kind of RAM which sometimes displays a tad less sprites in things like explosions or repetitious effects, like fire from a flamethrower, energy waves..etc. The home version displays a different screen rate and has slightly cheaper components than the MVS board. The MVS is easily fixed and can even be slightly upgraded with higher quality caps and bios. The Japanese systems have blood and some extra animations, too. The differences are very minor, but they are there! They are not absolutely identical. You will find that most of the different variations of the games are on the AES cart, whereas it is just one variant on an MVS cart. You can often choose what version you want with a unibios or button codes,and this makes the AES a nice choice. I have an MVS multicart that is very good and sports most of the best games.

The differences you speak of pertain to the BIOS, not the actual cart/system. And yes, the MVS systems are not 100% the same as the AES systems, that's just common sense.

OH, you've never heard that this or that game was, say, a 4 gig game. That means the ROM (I.E. DVD Read Only Memory) is 4 GIGs of RAM (measured).

If I move a ROM to my computer, it takes up RAM space on my hard disk. I can measure it and say.. "HEY, this game is such and such ammount of RAM on my computer!"

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here.

• Like 1

You seem to like to insult people, don't you? Like I haven't worked on computers for most of my life. Both are measured in bytes, that's all I'm saying. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

I have repaired computers, built computers, programmed computers and loved computers since my early teens. I've worked as a computer repair technition and fixed peoples computers as side work. I've spoken to computer programmers and builders and that's the lingo that we use. This takes up that much RAM or that takes up this much RAM. I have programmed games in several languages.

Edited by Papa
  • Like 1

Eh...nevermind. Abandon logic all ye who enter the Jaguar forum.

I'll leave the techno magic rom ram to you guys to battle...

back to logic. If I, as honest as I can be, tell (not debating) you that I actually do enjoy, and find Jaguar games good/entertaining, you say that such a thing to think is not logic? And that you appreciate Jaguar for "what it is"... ??? You enjoy it for what it is: having a bad game library, or what... ??? And that is logic? You spend time one bad games because that is important and logic to you?

When I say I like the games i honestly do! It is the truth to me and I'm telling you among others about it as a fact, and you have to believe me there. I'm not protecting stuff I don't believe in, why would I? There are good games on the Jag, and good games are enjoyable and that is logic.

Now, how does your logic work? What are you up to? Tell me, I am curious, really.

Edited by Atlantis

WTF?

• Like 2

All this talk about the Neo Geo CD is making me want to venture out and try one, even though I'm not much of a 2D fighter person outside of your typical 90s offerings like MK3 and such... I remember seeing the ads and being intrigued but just felt that it was mostly weird Japanese titles and as far as I could tell, would have had to import the machine and games, which just wasn't appealing to me at the time.

WTF?

..again, someone who's never moved data to a hard disk from a read only source.

Amiga Basic Inside and Out..

"ROM

This stands for Real Only Memory. IN contrast to RAM, ROM isn't erased when the computer is turned off. You can't write your own data to ROM, and it's

hard to get rid of what is there. This characteristic makes it good for the operating system and similar things...

..There is very little true ROM (how can that be?) in the Amiga 1000. The ROMSs only contain the loader program for the Kickstart diskette and the "hand holding disk" icons. The RAM section where the operating systemis can be locked up electronically so that it acts almost like ROM...

TRS-80 Assembly Language Programming

"The term RAM stands for Random Access Memory and simply means a memory that we can both read from and write into. ROM memory, on the other hand, is Read-Only Memory..

.. each can hold one byte, or 8 bits, of data.."

GW-BASIC

"random-access memory

The system's high speed work area that provides access to memory storage locations by using a system of vertical and horizontal coordinates. The computer can write information into or read information from random-access memory. Random-access memory is often called RAM.

ROM

Acronym for read-only memory."

Microsoft MS-DOS

"Attrib

+r sets the read-only attribute of a file.

-r disables the read-only mode."

Like I said before..

Both are measured in bytes. My phraseology may be old-school, but I know what I'm talking about. I'm using it as a universal term for the space that memory takes up. You people are all on a quest to prove or disprove each other to a degree where if everyone followed all common definition there would be about five members on this forum and about ten posts.

It's perfectly acceptable to refer to the amount of space a program takes up as RAM, and I've heard it used many times. I understand that it is commonly used to refer to a systems memory, whereas, ROM would be control chips, etc.

Edited by Papa

..again, someone who's never moved data to a hard disk from a read only source.

Most of the technical gubbins and ptogramming jargon goes way over my head, but, Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought one of the defining features of ram was that it needed a constant power supply to maintain what it had in memory and as soon as you shut off the power it loses whatever was stored.

I realise that that is probably an oversimplification, its just thats the way I always understood it.

With the exception of NVRAM you are correct.

It is just I've never heard that once I copy a file of 4GB onto by HDD, I used 4 GB of RAM, I used 4GB of storage but not of RAM.

HDD used to be magnetic in nature, no RAM, SSD changed a little because of the usage of Flash Memory but for the sake of this conversation they are not RAM, not even close.

Usually RAM is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory

HDDs (or even SSDs) are not considered RAM, not even NVRAM.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

With the exception of NVRAM you are correct.

It is just I've never heard that once I copy a file of 4GB onto by HDD, I used 4 GB of RAM, I used 4GB of storage but not of RAM.

HDD used to be magnetic in nature, no RAM, SSD changed a little because of the usage of Flash Memory but for the sake of this conversation they are not RAM, not even close.

Usually RAM is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory

HDDs (or even SSDs) are not considered RAM, not even NVRAM.

I have never heard of hardrive space being reffered to as RAM either. I jsut thought it sounded a bit weird because Like I said above I always understood ram dumped everything when power was cut. Which I was having a hard time equating to hard drives. I was reluctant to mention anything in case I came across as a bit stupid and maybe I was just unaware of something else regarding hard drives.

So am I also right in thinking traditional Ram is Volatile and hard drives are non volatile. ( I have no bloody clue about shit like this )

Edited by AtariORdead

It's hardly a warranted usage.

We could guess you meant space, but assuming that everyone agree to such a loose definition is a little pushing.

The fact that they use the same unit (the byte) means really little, example: height, width and depth are all measured in meters but are not interchangeable words and even if they all are a measure of "length" you'll never mix and match the way you want just because.

So RAM/ROM/HDD/SSD/NVRAM/DVDR/CDR/DVDRW/BluRay etc... all have a space associated with them but you don't say an HDD is 2TB of RAM, or a ROM is 6GB of DVD-RW do you?

Anyway moot point, peace out.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1