IGNORED

JAGUAR, 3DO, AND THE CDI

AtariORdead

As long as this thread is already off the rails, I think Nintendo systems had at least 8 versions of Double Dragon games, including a version of DDV. I seem to remember Battletoads/DD games too, but other than the NES I can't recall which systems had versions. Probably the GameBoy too. (Edit: And SNES). I forgot how popular that franchise was.

Absolutely off the rails btw.

From personal experience/collection (I really dislike the hipster connotations tied to that word nowadays vs collecting for 20+ years)...

DD, DD2, DD3 & BTvsDD - all on NES... and Super DD, DDV and BTvsDD - all on SNES.

FWIW, DD, DD2, DD3, DDV and BTvsDD also all came out on the MegaDrive... with DD1 being released on MasterSystem.

If anything, Nintendo and SEGA have 'more' entitlement covering a wider range of DD titles > Atari :P

Regardless...

Double Dragon is a Technos Japan game... Street Fighter is a Capcom game... and Shinobi is a SEGA game, irrespective of which platforms they were ported to,

All arcade games, essentially.

• Like 2

No ones disputing that, but to see its a game series thats strongly connected to atari is a bit much.

Its not like a magaman = Nintendo, or a Thunderforce = Sega type of strong link like he was suggesting.

I never said that Double Dragon is like Mario Bros to Nintendo nor implied it. No one did say that. You may want it to be that way, but no one did.

And, everybody knows that E.T. is the Atari mascot ;) DD? Stupid it's even up for discussion.

Well I DO love Atari overall though sadly my personal experience with Jaguar was pretty much seeing some commercial's, reading articles, seeing in person a boxed system in a store on Yonge St. back in the day in downtown Toronto, I looked at the box and read everything, looked at the boxed carts, I certainly would have dropped the money on it even though it was already going down in price (I don't recall specifics but know it had already dropped) however it was not even an option for me at the time. So I never played anything on the Jaguar compare in that area. I know when I seen a 3DO display I played several games and was pretty impressed, I knew it had pretty damned good visuals and though many games were FMV or PC ports I didn't have that type of multimedia PC with fancy sound and graphics cards nor did I know anyone that did, I liked the 3DO and the concept but OUCH that price lol. As for CDi....yeah not that impressed with it ever really.

Today, I my experience with Jaguar has not improved other than reading and discussing online and emulating. I do own a 3D) FZ-10 and a CDi console. I have several games for both. I like that the 3DO seems to do better overall video / FMV then the CDi (from what I can tell) even if the CDi has a FMV / Mpeg cart (mine does) I don't have the Mpeg add-on for the 3DO but for that system it is strictly to add the capability to play movie discs / VCD's, the 3DO does not require the addon to play any games but the CDi absolutely requires FMV / Mpeg cart to play several games!

So in my limited experience, sticking to the original topic I would no question pick 3DO, I love Road Rash, Street Fighter II, Dragon's Lair but here is the kicker, I actually LIKE FMV games, no really, and if I am going to play something like Sewar Shark I prefer the 3DO for the excellent video quality overall. Maybe someday if my situation improves I might own a Jaguar then I can get in on all the fun lol.

Oh yeah.. Sewer Shark was fun (Ratagators!!) Also the 32XCD FMV games can be pretty neat, considering the much higher color. Some of the light gun shooters with FMV weren't that bad in my opinion. I just think the idea that FMV was the new future of games went Hindenburg pretty fast. Also, there are variants of Dragons Lair that don't have the flashing that indicate where and when to move the joystick or push the button, and that was a bit frustrating for me (actually, I don't even see how people could play it without the indicators).

I enjoy converting DVDs to VCD and playing them on a CDi, or my 3-disk JVC VCD player. I have a huge stack of VCD movies and they virtually never skip and sound great. When DVD movies skip I get frustrated and think about making a double decker DVD/VHS player copying station to watch them dubbed on VHS, so I know they won't skip. I've done it with a couple of movies and that's one way to stop that ever failing DVD from ruining movie night with the old lady.

• Like 1

I enjoy converting DVDs to VCD and playing them on a CDi, or my 3-disk JVC VCD player. I have a huge stack of VCD movies and they virtually never skip and sound great. When DVD movies skip I get frustrated and think about making a double decker DVD/VHS player copying station to watch them dubbed on VHS, so I know they won't skip. I've done it with a couple of movies and that's one way to stop that ever failing DVD from ruining movie night with the old lady.

Maybe instead it's time for a new DVD (or better yet, BluRay) player and for you to stop scratching your discs? ;-)

• Like 3

I enjoy converting DVDs to VCD and playing them on a CDi, or my 3-disk JVC VCD player. I have a huge stack of VCD movies and they virtually never skip and sound great.

It's fantastic that they sound great, because they'll look like shit. Do you also hang produce out the window in a bag because you don't have a fridge?

• Like 1

I'm trying to analyse my fascination of the Jaguar, since it is a new one. Some here might consider a fascination un-logic, probably driven by "wordless emotions" and I can buy that.

For an example: I'm dead tired of Doom, and don't own it, but I actually consider to buy Jaglink, an extra console and two Doom carts just to try out the death-match option in that game, just based on that it is on the Jaguar - not the game itself! That is, even to me, kind of fanatic = fan.

I don't think I will find an answer to this, or that there actually is an answer. Maybe some people just, by nature, has a stronger interest in the hunter-gather style and project it to a "platform", whatever that platform is, for the fun of the hunt and the joy of getting your prey. I don't get that kick in my profession. Maybe the interest will cool down after a while... but for me the interest is a mix of: the luxury of expensive carts; the myth of Atari's sad destiny; the small by easy to overview library; the deep analysis by this forum of the small library (which creates a large group of experts talking about small nuances); the progress with home-brews, Virtual-Jag, and new cd:s and carts coming out, on an open system in the spirit of "by gamers for gamers".

Also, if you like cartridges Jaguar is the second last one, just before the very last N64. So, in the cart-loving world it is a system of the quality just below the very top of the cartridge development. And, since I'm done on both Neo AES and N64, I guess the energy has moved on the Jaguar -- a much logic step, if you have this interest. (To keep the interest up, I got a 2600 as well, as a back up.)

Take this with a grain of salt, I just trying to have fun -- even though I'm actually kind of honest here. For me 3DO (among other systems) just lacks that strong aura, which Jag got lots of.

I never said that Double Dragon is like Mario Bros to Nintendo nor implied it. No one did say that. You may want it to be that way, but no one did.

And, everybody knows that E.T. is the Atari mascot ;) DD? Stupid it's even up for discussion.

Sorry but no.

what you said was Double dragon has that connection to Atari.....well because its double dragon

You phrased it in a way as if it needed no explanation and it was just a given. the reason I mentioned Mario as an example was because in that context Mario would have worked.

Mario has a connection to Nintendo,,,,because well its mario.

Its like its being implied that there needs to be no explanation because it just simply is. Double dragon does not have that tie in to Atari.

Its like me saying

Fifa has that connection to Xbox...well because its Fifa. Despite the fact its been on every system alive. Its bloody nonsense is what it is.

Maybe instead it's time for a new DVD (or better yet, BluRay) player and for you to stop scratching your discs? ;-)

I NEVER scratch my disks. I always make sure to leave the data side finger print free! My disks have aged rather well, although I have been through quite a few DVD players. I have so far refused to move up to Bue Ray, as I just don't think it's worth it, although eventually I may depending on what comes out and when. I find VHS superior to DVD in nearly every way. Just because it requires a little more patience and there are no menus does not make it inferior. My VHS movies all still work very well and play without skipping (obviously) and very few have problems. The ones that do are usually recorded tapes from television or dubs. Digital (in my opinion) just means 'Things left out..'.

I NEVER scratch my disks. I always make sure to leave the data side finger print free! My disks have aged rather well, although I have been through quite a few DVD players. I have so far refused to move up to Bue Ray, as I just don't think it's worth it, although eventually I may depending on what comes out and when. I find VHS superior to DVD in nearly every way. Just because it requires a little more patience and there are no menus does not make it inferior. My VHS movies all still work very well and play without skipping (obviously) and very few have problems. The ones that do are usually recorded tapes from television or dubs. Digital (in my opinion) just means 'Things left out..'.

Superior in every way? what about picture quality.

"This is Sparta!!!!"

..the country of lovely women..

..while..

..in 387 BC the Peace of Antalcidas was established, according to which all Greek cities of Ionia would return to Persian control, and Persia's Asian border would be free of the Spartan threat. .

Superior in every way? what about picture quality.

Digital is what they think you need to see, decoded and GRAINY!! VHS is NO missing color and therefor, in my opinion, looks better! I've watched a movie like, say..Conan the Barbarian and it has no grainy missing colors that decoding causes or skipping or stuttering that DVD's, etc. can have. If you look at the sky or backgrounds in a VHS movie you can see ALL of the color, not little lego bricks of digitization or missing color. And I said "Superior in NEARLY every way." , like there are menus and you can usually go where you want at any time on a disk.

Digital is what they think you need to see, decoded and GRAINY!! VHS is NO missing color and therefor, in my opinion, looks better! I've watched a movie like, say..Conan the Barbarian and it has no grainy missing colors that decoding causes or skipping or stuttering that DVD's, etc. can have. If you look at the sky or backgrounds in a VHS movie you can see ALL of the color, not little lego bricks of digitization or missing color. And I said "Superior in NEARLY every way." , like there are menus and you can usually go where you want at any time on a disk.

The picture is only like that because its been transferred over from an inferior source.

What you really mean is that digital highlights the flwas whereas the original hides them better.

a source that was designed for DVD from the start will always look better than a VHS tape.

I agree there are times when an analog video signal looks better than digital. One only needs to point to the blocky digital artifact-ing you see during darker scenes (that even depends on how well or not the transfer was mastered), BUT… I rather like the fact you don't have to rewind a DVD in order to watch it again. :rolling:

A source that was designed for DVD from the start should have been filmed in analog, in my opinion, possibly Super 8, so there would be NO missing colors. I think digital film always has looked worse. I also think that tube TV sets look better than digital TV. I think that LCD screens are too blury and Plasma screens are too digital and seperate color too much. I really haven't seen much technical advancement that was worth the change, only drawing out of the consumers money.

I also think that records and cassettes sound better, last longer, never skip while driving (in the case of cassettes, of course), are usually more durable, and are all around better than disks.

Edited by Papa

A source that was designed for DVD from the start should have been filmed in analog, in my opinion, possibly Super 8, so there would be NO missing colors. I think digital film always has looked worse. I also think that tube TV sets look better than digital TV. I think that LCD screens are too blury and Plasma screens are too digital and seperate color too much. I really haven't seen much technical advancement that was worth the change, only drawing out of the consumers money.

Sorry but I have Digital HD TV. no way anyone is going to tell me the old analog tv broadcasts look better.

• Like 1

Sorry but no.

what you said was Double dragon has that connection to Atari.....well because its double dragon

You phrased it in a way as if it needed no explanation and it was just a given. the reason I mentioned Mario as an example was because in that context Mario would have worked.

Mario has a connection to Nintendo,,,,because well its mario.

Its like its being implied that there needs to be no explanation because it just simply is. Double dragon does not have that tie in to Atari.

Its like me saying

Fifa has that connection to Xbox...well because its Fifa. Despite the fact its been on every system alive. Its bloody nonsense is what it is.

Maybe, since English isn't my first language I might, out of bizarre, evil ignorance, have stretched the use of that word "connection". I am so sorry, language-cop.

Next time speak non-english and I'll go bananas on you. Chill.

Maybe, since English isn't my first language I might, out of bizarre, evil ignorance, have stretched the use of that word "connection". I am so sorry, language-cop.

Next time speak non-english and I'll go bananas on you. Chill.

al menos admites que estabas equivocado

Sorry but I have Digital HD TV. no way anyone is going to tell me the old analog tv broadcasts look better.

..and, nowhere did I say that. I wasn't talking about broadcasts at all. I've actually had Digital TV owners come to my house and see cable on my old school TV and say.."WOW, That looks GREAT!!" I will tell you that my TV will outlast yours and use less power and satisfy ME!

..and here we are on AtariAge. Arguing over whether old school is better or not..

Edited by Papa