IGNORED

Altirra 2.60 released

phaeron

Is there a (reasonably) up-to-date listing of the new commands, functions, etc. that have been added to Altirra Basic?

I've looked through the docs (V1.41?) and didn't see anything other than you can spot a new feature here or there. Seems like "New Features" would be a nice addition to the manual when it is updated.

I love this Basic -- if for no other reasons than the addition of the "DIR" command and it can be burned into rom (or an Ultimate slot) so that it behaves like regular 8K Basic -- only improved. How you have managed to free up enough space to add the new features is amazing!

-Larry

• Like 1

It would be this. the last test release still does it. In fact all versions back to like 2.10 do it. I don't recall if 2.0 or less don't do it. But I think they're ok.

Ok I believe I found the bug with the keyboard.

1- Start a standard 400/800 48K OS-B machine in Atari Computer - Memo Pad. In windowed mode.

2- Ensure that you have [key press mode] set to RAW. Input->Keyboard->KeyPressMode->RAW KEYS

3- Hold down any alpha/numeric key.

4- Verify it repeats normally at this time. Release it. It stops.

5- Try it again. When it begins repeating, click & hold the right mouse button while hovering over the emulated machine's blue screen.

6- When Windows bongs at you. Release key AND THEN the right mouse button

7- Tick the mouse to move it a bit to the left.

8- Press the left mouse button while still having the pointer on the blue background of the Memo Pad

9- Now it will endlessly repeat forever!

10- To stop it click on another Windows' window. Or ALT-M to maximize/minimize if you started in windowed mode. If you start in full-screen mode, you have to minimize it, then maximize it again. Then it stops.

I don't think it has anything to do with entering/exiting debug mode. It also messes up the same way if you are using the [Full raw keyboard scan] too. It is very repeatable following those steps exactly. 5 out of 5 tries. Perhaps others can verify and clarify before a bug hunt consumes the developer! If needed I'll post my configuration file - but I don't believe it is anything exotic or funky.

Yes: there appear to be two issues with different causes which both result in runaway keyboard repeat and which might both be described as "keyboard still repeats". I'll see if I can duplicate the issue described above.

EDIT: And I can, at the Altirra BASIC prompt on an emulated XL. Interestingly, tapping another key in the emulated machine while the keyboard is running away does not stop the auto-repeat. The keyboard simply repeats the last struck key endlessly.

Just managed to trigger it in the Ultimate BIOS setup screen as well: hit the left arrow key after Help+Reset and the key just kept auto-repeating. Very hard to duplicate but - as per my prior report - there was no right-click menu involvement on this occasion. Keyboard just decided to endlessly auto-repeat all of a sudden.

Using latest test version.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hi Avery, we know you for Altirra and Virtualdub but any chance of giving us a bit about you, No, I'm not asking for address security alarm number and visa card details, just a bit about how you got into the Atari, what you do full time (not company detials) and just a little background. It would be just nice to know about the guy who writes such a wonderful emulator.

I did have one look around and found an Avery Lee at EA, if that's you then you are a hero to my daughter for working on The Sims (between that and Animal Crossing she's addicted to them) but its most likely not you..

Don't worry I doubt we have an stalkers in the forum, well now that Carmel does not post :) (Just jesting Carmel)

I also have been very interested because Avery is such an emulator whiz and we're very lucky to have him on the Atari side. But, I didn't want to risk asking the questions. I would love to know more about Avery as a person, too!

I respect a persons wish to privacy, now that I think about it he did mention about his Atari roots in one of the threads, as for the other stuff it would be nice but then again the mystery is also good..

All I know is he writes a fantastic emulator and looks after us...

Is there a (reasonably) up-to-date listing of the new commands, functions, etc. that have been added to Altirra Basic?

I've looked through the docs (V1.41?) and didn't see anything other than you can spot a new feature here or there. Seems like "New Features" would be a nice addition to the manual when it is updated.

I love this Basic -- if for no other reasons than the addition of the "DIR" command and it can be burned into rom (or an Ultimate slot) so that it behaves like regular 8K Basic -- only improved. How you have managed to free up enough space to add the new features is amazing!

-Larry

Change log..

post-10165-0-45207900-1443364574_thumb.png

post-10165-0-19799500-1443364546_thumb.png

Also try out the new basic++ by Thor the most recently added to forums has a DIR command..

ROM and XEX

Edited by rdea6

Also try out the new basic++ by Thor the most recently added to forums has a DIR command..

ROM and XEX

Basic++ also doesn't work without Os++ due to non-standard math pack requirements. If you run it under the Atari OS or AltirraOS, it'll break, and probably under Altirra's floating point acceleration as well.

Basic++ also doesn't work without Os++ due to non-standard math pack requirements. If you run it under the Atari OS or AltirraOS, it'll break, and probably under Altirra's floating point acceleration as well.

Strange,

I tested Basic++ V1.02 on a real Atari 800XL with standard XL-OS and approx. ten different Basic programs and all of them worked fine. But maybe none of these programs required the math pack...?!?

Besides, here is Altirra Basic V1.46 with the collected update information (ATASCII text with max. 38 chars. per line) on an ATR image. I used Bill Wilkinson`s Basoff.OBJ here, so Altirra Basic will automatically switch off Atari Basic...

Alt146.zip

• Like 1

I tested Basic++ V1.02 on a real Atari 800XL with standard XL-OS and approx. ten different Basic programs and all of them worked fine. But maybe none of these programs required the math pack...?!?

Try PRINT -0.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242489-asking-for-basic-beta-testing/?p=3317667

It's not a big incompatibility and many programs will probably work fine, but per the author's comments this appears to be an intentional breaking change.

The math pack provides basic floating-point parsing and arithmetic, so it's core to the operation of the BASIC interpreter and can't be avoided. All 8K BASICs on the Atari use the OS math pack, although some extended BASICs swap in their own (TBXL, Basic XE with extensions).

Context menu was a slightly different window message path than the main menu. sigh

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test28.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test28-src.zip

Not a big deal, but need to fix it to avoid confusion with the real bug we're trying to track down here. This build has diagnostics for the keyboard handling -- enter the debugger and in the console type "lfe hostkeys" to enable it. "lfd hostkeys" turns the logging back off. If anyone can reproduce the problem without a menu and with this logging enabled, I'd be interested in the last couple dozen lines. Essentially, this will show whether key up/down messages are matched from the OS and whether keys are getting stuck in the emulated keyboard matrix.

One reason for the weird repeat behavior is that currently the emulator repeats the last key (SKSTAT bit 2 asserted) if it thinks any key is changed. I need to modify this, but I'd like to find out what's causing the stuck keys before attempting a fix for it. It looks like weird things may happen if you manage to map the same physical key both as a virtual key and a typed key to different emulated keys, but I'm pretty sure you folks haven't reconfigured things that way.

Also, this build contains a fix for a minor issue with U1MB where it malfunctions if you have U1MB enabled in XL/XE hardware mode with OS-B kernel enabled, because the MMU thinks it doesn't need to map $C000-CFFF, and a mapping fix for keypad Enter not being hooked up.

I'm sure everyone knows that by now, and I have my reasons. Reasons which are proven more and more correct as time goes by. :)

EDIT: But, that's not the subject of this thread!

Sorry I just couldn't pass it up. ;-) Was just having fun, not trying to criticize. It certainly was actually prudent to mention which OS you were using in the context of debugging.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is helpful at all, but I was just this minute typing at the SDX command prompt in the emulator (using test 27). The keyboard suddenly stopped responding to keystrokes for a couple of seconds, then started up again, endlessly repeating. No special conditions required to trigger this, but it's very difficult to reproduce. Just happens when it feels like happening.