IGNORED

Altirra 2.60 released

phaeron

Tracked down the Rescue at Fractalus issue with 65C816 -- it's probably a bug in the emulators 65C816 core, namely that IRQs can't occur after a CLI/SEI pair. Yes, on the 6502 you can actually land in the IRQ handler with the I flag set on the stack. I'll have to do some research on this one though because I don't know whether this behavior actually occurs with a 65C816. The only way I currently have to test 65C816 behavior is the Veronica cartridge, and Veronica doesn't have interrupts. So if anyone of you out there have a 65816-equipped Atari or an Apple IIgs lying around and can test whether the IRQ occurs between CLI/SEI or after SEI, I'd appreciate it.

If you post (or send me via PM) a test program, I can run it and post the results back.

Tracked down the issue with Ballblazer -- it is a bug in the Homesoft version of the game. Ballblazer runs four display list interrupts in a cycle, where each DLI handler is responsible for hooking the next one up. There's nothing that resets this, so if any DLIs are missed, it throws the loop off and the DLIs all execute in the wrong places on screen. It turns out that this version of the game temporarily disables DLIs with NMIEN when switching screens, and this causes a chance for the screen to glitch out when the screens are switched (scoring). The other versions of the game that I have don't do this. The glitchy field is because the field rendering relies on HSCROL being stepped in sync with the per-line LMS offsets in the display list, and the desynced DLIs cause the LMS offsets from one player's field to be combined with the HSCROL offsets of the other. When it occurs, you can fix it by restoring the correct DLI handler at the beginning of vertical blank ($599B):

gv
e vdslst 9b 59
g

Obviously, it's preferred to run a fixed version of the game instead....

Tracked down the Rescue at Fractalus issue with 65C816 -- it's probably a bug in the emulators 65C816 core, namely that IRQs can't occur after a CLI/SEI pair. Yes, on the 6502 you can actually land in the IRQ handler with the I flag set on the stack. I'll have to do some research on this one though because I don't know whether this behavior actually occurs with a 65C816. The only way I currently have to test 65C816 behavior is the Veronica cartridge, and Veronica doesn't have interrupts. So if anyone of you out there have a 65816-equipped Atari or an Apple IIgs lying around and can test whether the IRQ occurs between CLI/SEI or after SEI, I'd appreciate it.

Menus weren't intended to pause the simulation, but that just happened to be a side effect of the way that menus are implemented in Windows using a modal loop. For that reason, the simulation isn't cleanly paused and one of the effects is that sound buffering temporarily gets out of whack. Dialogs are also modal but do disable the main window temporarily, so they're cleaner in that respect. Modeless dialogs, ones that don't disable the parent window, are harder to write and also have reentrancy issues since things can happen in the background while the dialog's up, i.e. a disk gets unmounted while the disk dialog is up. For this reason, only a few special dialogs in Altirra are modeless. I'll think about making the menu behavior an option.

Thanks, Phaeron! You have found a bug with Rescue at Fractalus game and 65C816! I will wait for you or others to implement possible fix for 65C816 bug! I am very excited if a fix could be implemented on 65C816 emulation!

Thanks, Phaeron! You have found a bug with Rescue at Fractalus game and 65C816! I will wait for you or others to implement possible fix for 65C816 bug! I am very excited if a fix could be implemented on 65C816 emulation!

I just want to say, that the way you are strangely stressing words is a bit suspicious to me. I think I may not be alone in that.

• Like 1

Additional Information... the break at exe start adress works when Test38 is launched via Explorer... but when started via Eclipse/Wudsn not?

interesting... works now again.... started few times Altirra standalone and now it works with WUDSN launcher again...

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Daniel has stated he is in the Autistic spectrum and I'd suspect OCD is coming in to play here, myself and my daughter also suffer from OCD, with me its counting a certain number of times ie checking the front door 4 times, always in 4's with others it can be how they do things like writing etc etc...Very varied...

But now we know we can stop thinking he's devil worshipping or suchlike :)

Anyway, a bit of colour always spices stuff up :)

So he likes to emphasize words with font effects...why is this a problem for anyone?

It wasn't an issue, it just looked slightly odd as there seemed no need to add the effects, certainly there's no right or wrong here, Daniel can write how he likes (although I don't suggest posts with a size 70 font), if its Atari and makes some sort of sense then that's good enough for me :)

So he likes to emphasize words with font effects...why is this a problem for anyone?

Because it appeared ill-tempered and abrasive. It's disingenuous to to suggest this shouldn't provoke a reaction, at least until the cause is explained. The member's posts in this topic are the only ones I can find which display this odd punctuation, so it was also without precedent. I have no issue with someone suffering from a condition, but we can't assume that this is the default explanation for red-letter posts and tactfully avoid passing comment when we have no prior knowledge of what's going on.

• Like 2

Does anyone run Altirra on OSX in a wrapper (is there a OSX port or one planned)?

I run Altirra on OS X using WINE, and most things work just fine. Problems include the emulated display being displaced when opening and closing the debugger (rectified by resizing the main window), and file system change notifications not coming through on virtual drives, resulting in new files not showing up. The latter is a show-stopper for me, but appears to be the fault of WINE not translating OS file system change events into a format the application can react to. Everything else works remarkably well.

As for a port, I recall Avery being somewhat repulsed by XCode, so I doubt an OS X version is on the cards any time soon.

Do you have your wineskin setup you can share?

Happily, but I don't even have one set up on the current test install. I used to use WineBottler but the WINE build therein was heavily outdated the last time I looked, so more recently I've been installing WINE using HomeBrew, which in itself is fraught with dependency issues if you're using anything older than Mavericks (I'm using 10.10.5 ATM and everything goes without a hitch). I'm just firing up terminal and typing "wine altirra" at the moment. I tried setting up some scripts a while ago to simulate an application icon in the Dock, but they were a bit awkward.

In any case: if there's likely to be something of use I can share with you, let me know where to find it and I'll happily send it across.

I've also tried CrossOver, and while functionality was pretty much identical to WINE, CrossOver makes the whole app icon thing that much easier. It's not free, though, and apps appear to run faster on pure WINE.

Anyway: this is the guide I'm following verbatim, and at the end of it I'm able to run Altirra from the terminal.

http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Edited by flashjazzcat

Absolutely none at all. I'm just going what I recalled from this post.

Ahh. Not having a Mac and not liking C++ IDE selection for Macs are what is cited. I have no idea if there are any C++ IDEs for Linux that he would be happy with or not, but at least it isn't hard to get yourself a Linux machine (or virtual one).

checking the front door 4 times, always in 4's

If you've had a few to drink (or in the past if you don't drink now) and you got double vision, would you only need to check the door twice :)

I remember I got lucky with a girl and when going back to her flat, she kept me out in the corridor for 10 minutes. She'd explained beforehand that she wouldn't be able to let me in until she'd sorted out her line of shoes 10 times, messed them up again and then sorted them again. I was patient, I needed some nookie and a bed for the night.

Because it appeared ill-tempered and abrasive. It's disingenuous to to suggest this shouldn't provoke a reaction, at least until the cause is explained. The member's posts in this topic are the only ones I can find which display this odd punctuation, so it was also without precedent. I have no issue with someone suffering from a condition, but we can't assume that this is the default explanation for red-letter posts and tactfully avoid passing comment when we have no prior knowledge of what's going on.

Perhaps the default should not be to assume something weird and offensive is going on unless there is evidence of bad behaviour.