IGNORED

Altirra 2.60 released

phaeron

Additional Information... the break at exe start adress works when Test38 is launched via Explorer... but when started via Eclipse/Wudsn not?

interesting... works now again.... started few times Altirra standalone and now it works with WUDSN launcher again...

Are you seeing the "EXE run address hit" message when it doesn't stop? Any relation to whether breakpoints are set in WUDSN?

Set File Associations appears to be broken, select then save but no association made..

Can't reproduce -- checked on Windows XP x86, 7 x64, 8.1 x64, and 10 x64. I assume you're running on Windows 7 x64? Do you have User Account Control (UAC) enabled or disabled (UAC causes the elevation prompts)? Does it work with 2.60?

There are two dialogs that can appear when you select the Set File Associations option. If you are running Windows XP, you should see the built-in file association dialog. If you are running Vista or higher, you should see the Set Program Associations control panel pop up, with an elevation prompt if UAC is enabled. In the latter case, once you've set up file associations, you should see Altirra showing up in the Set Program Associations control panel when you go to it directly through Control Panel. If you can't get to it from the emulator, see if going through Control Panel works.

Currently, you must have administrator access for the set/remove file association options to function. This is the default on Windows XP. If you are on Vista or above with UAC on, Altirra will automatically attempt to elevate and relaunch itself to set things up (this is why the buttons have the colored shields). If your account is not a local administrator, then this will fail -- but that is uncommon in a home environment.

If you see the built-in dialog on Vista or up, that's bad -- it means that the OS is running Altirra in XP compatibility mode, which will break this function. This can happen if Altirra is started from another program that has XP compatibility mode enabled, and that will screw up the works.

You might encounter a little bit of goofiness if you manage to try to set associations for both the 32-bit and 64-bit builds. Do Remove File Associations on both builds first before trying to reapply. Also, under Windows XP, removing the associations might not show up in Explorer windows that are already open until you reopen them.

Ahh. Not having a Mac and not liking C++ IDE selection for Macs are what is cited. I have no idea if there are any C++ IDEs for Linux that he would be happy with or not, but at least it isn't hard to get yourself a Linux machine (or virtual one).

Choice of IDE aside, I simply don't have time to maintain additional ports, particularly for platforms that I don't actively use. Maintaining a port is a lot of work.

Command-line tools are a bit different, since they're smaller and have minimal UI. a8rawconv, for instance, was pretty easy to get working on Linux in a VM, and I have no problem maintaining portability for something like that.

re: Break at EXE message

yes, everything looks like it should instead emulation is being started in debugger. Source code window is in focus (below debugger but running), cursor stands at run adress in source code window. no breakpoints.

will show you screen shot later at lunch break. It appeared again yesterday but as with the breakpoints with too nested folders I suspect WUDSN at the moment. but will try to replicate more in detail.

why do I need that function? because I want to save memory dump to exomize that code.

Hi Avery,

Associations are working again, I can only think Zone Alarm was doing a security scan at the time and it decided to ignore altirra's request to adjust the system yet I received no pop up messages (I've set it to ask me for all system requests).

My UAC is always off (and I just checked it was) so it wasn't that oh and yes, Win 7 X64.

All odd, scanned the system for any nasties and was clear.

All the associations were set but I ran the crap-cleaner registry check and it found loads of 'issues' which I let it fix so I wonder if it was that which removed the associations?

Anyway, its all going normally now, sorry for the report, it seemed the right thing to do at the time.

Edited by Mclaneinc

I've found that a lot of times so called registry cleaners actually do more harm than good. FYI.

Yes, and most of us learn this the hard way! The marketing hype on the tin always claim, "Repair and speed up your computer...".

Over the years, I've had computers that were so messed up by these darn registry cleaners that I had to reinstall Windows. The problem is that you may not know right away that the computer got wrecked until you try to do something on the computer some months down the road after the registry contents had been cleaned out and it's too late to recover.

There are valid reasons to keep your registry clean to improve boot up time and save RAM (and processor utilization) from numerous auto-start programs. But, don't mess with it unless you know what you're doing and avoid the "one click will fix all" registry cleaners.

Edited by atx4us
  • Like 3

hmmm... it definitly appears again...

option for breaking at run adress is enabled in the debugger options.

I'd need more details to diagnose this, such as configuration details or which version last didn't have this problem. I believe WUDSN uses an .atdbg file to drive the debugger -- send that to me by PM if you have it.

Phaeron... As I discovered today files by running perfect in Altirra but not on real metal plus loading from sio2sd.... Any way I can simulate & test that in Altirra?

There are too many ways that you could be failing for me to say. Try enabling Accurate Sector Timing on the disk emulation options -- a lot of hand-rolled loaders fail at first because they don't accommodate actual disk timings and assume that requests are serviced faster than they should be.

I'd need more details to diagnose this, such as configuration details or which version last didn't have this problem. I believe WUDSN uses an .atdbg file to drive the debugger -- send that to me by PM if you have it.

There are too many ways that you could be failing for me to say. Try enabling Accurate Sector Timing on the disk emulation options -- a lot of hand-rolled loaders fail at first because they don't accommodate actual disk timings and assume that requests are serviced faster than they should be.

its a simple .xex file without my IRQ loader yet...

will try to nail it down... what I mean...how can I use the "sio2sd" device support in Altirra?

its a simple .xex file without my IRQ loader yet...

will try to nail it down... what I mean...how can I use the "sio2sd" device support in Altirra?

Took a look at the SIO2SD loader source that I was able to find (http://sourceforge.net/p/sio2sd/code/ci/master/tree/xex_loader/xex_loader.asm#l39), and it loads unusually high -- you will have problems if your EXE has an ORG below $0880. Typically direct loaders accommodate $0700. Check your segments.

As for SIO2SD emulation, no. Altirra doesn't currently emulate the disk or loader features of SIO2SD, and if it did, it probably wouldn't be close enough to reproduce the same problems.

thanks. now its clear with the source... that it should support $2e2,$2e0... sio2sd lets you configure while booting where to load the loader $0100,$0500,$0600,$0700

btw. thanks for the source... now I got a compact dos loader, too. :

Unfortunately no description in dokumentation if sio2sd regarding ram usage of the loader.

Edited by Heaven/TQA

I've also tried CrossOver, and while functionality was pretty much identical to WINE, CrossOver makes the whole app icon thing that much easier. It's not free, though, and apps appear to run faster on pure WINE.

I have CrossOver I realise!

Currently I have Altirra running under Parallels as it is super easy, just not very seamless and uses a TON of system resources to boot, hence wondering if there is a better way :-)

I'll look a that link and see what I can make of it - thanks!

If anyone is running Altirra on OSX using CrossOver I'd love to hear your experiences!

sTeVE

I've also tried CrossOver, and while functionality was pretty much identical to WINE, CrossOver makes the whole app icon thing that much easier. It's not free, though, and apps appear to run faster on pure WINE.

That's mildly interesting if it's too much faster since both WINE and Crossover do essentially the same thing (add a Windows translation layer on top of OS-X or Linux). And both are maintained by the same organization (Code Weavers).

I've used Crossover to run Altirra on Mac but the latest 2.60 version does not seem to work... I can get Altirra to load but it just freezes with none of the menu's accessible (this is on El Capitan).

Shame as it's preferable to launching a VM :)

Wonder how hard it would be to make a native Mac version?

I've used Crossover to run Altirra on Mac but the latest 2.60 version does not seem to work... I can get Altirra to load but it just freezes with none of the menu's accessible (this is on El Capitan).

I'm using Crossover with 2.60 on El Capitan. I think I had to nuke Altirra's settings somehow (regedit?), but I did get it to work.

anyone can see that with this file?

Dump this cartridge is not correctly displayed.

This is an executable, not a cartridge. It appears to be a version of Atari BASIC that's been relocated down to $2D00 and possibly modified for remote use over a BBS, because it prints LFs instead of EOLs. It requires OS-B due to direct OS jumps, but it's not terribly stable even with that.

• Like 1

I'm using Crossover with 2.60 on El Capitan. I think I had to nuke Altirra's settings somehow (regedit?), but I did get it to work.

That seems to be an issue sometimes with Altirra even on Windows. I use .INI files so simply starting over with a fresh .INI is all I have to do to nuke the settings. But yeah, some problems need a settings nuking to get past. Besides, it's fun to rebuild, tweak, and configure all your many custom settings! Almost as much fun as skulking around in the Windows registry. LOL.

Thankfully, nuking isn't option I need to use very often.

Wow: that's something I've never once run into in four years or more of extremely heavy use (a non-start in Windows requiring a registry purge) and regular upgrades. The only time I had to resort to a registry edit, IIRC, is when I scrambled the Ultimate 1MB NVRAM while developing the new BIOS and didn't have a recovery method built into the firmware.

Wow: that's something I've never once run into in four years or more of extremely heavy use (a non-start in Windows requiring a registry purge) and regular upgrades. The only time I had to resort to a registry edit, IIRC, is when I scrambled the Ultimate 1MB NVRAM while developing the new BIOS and didn't have a recovery method built into the firmware.

I should clarify, at least as far as what I wrote about my experiences. None of the times that I had to nuke settings was to fix a non start problem. I have had to do it maybe a few times to clear up some other problem that wouldn't solve any other way, but it wasn't that the emulator did not start at all.

I tried again... And got it to work (I don't know how or what I did differently) anyway the steps that worked for me are:

Download Altirra and decompress the archive.

Open Crossover.

Create a new Windows XP Bottle called "Altirra".

Open the C Drive of the Bottle.(right click on the Altirra bottle and select "Open C Drive").

Make a folder called "Atirra" inside the "Program Files" folder.

Copy the contents of the the Altirra archive into the "Program" Files folder.

Select "Run Command" in the Altirra bottle then find "Altirra.exe" inside the Altirra folder.

Select "Save Command as a Launcher" option.

Altirra icon now appears in the "Programs" Window and can be run.

Such a great emulator!

• Like 2