IGNORED

How's Ax doing?

Reminds you of Curt and the XM, don't it? | :)

I can only vouch for myself. I've had one transaction with Ax and it was nothing but positive.

Not overly but I do see what you mean. The XM on the other hand will be delivered soon enough I think and Curt has at least had broken contact over the last couple years. More open and positive contact with the buyers\public as of late due to the XM closing in on actually shipping I assume.

Ax on the other hand is not to be found and has done nothing to make good aside from offer to send unfinished junk to those that paid for a shinny working product, he has not been around openly for a good 2 years as mentioned above and has pretty much ran off with the thousands of dollars in total he took from a couple dozen people.

While the XM is disgustingly years late, it is getting done and I believe will ship. Those 25th consoles and whatever other stuff from Ax I don't ever see making it to those that bought them cause if he offered to send out unfinished work years later that tells it all right there.

It sucks what happened, but really, Ax is in no position to pay anyone back. Sure, you could take him to small claims court, but as the old saying, you can't get blood from a stone. I feel bad for everyone involved, and it's a mess, but I don't see anything that can be done. All I know is that he was always very nice and helpful to me and I wish him the best.

It sucks what happened, but really, Ax is in no position to pay anyone back. Sure, you could take him to small claims court, but as the old saying, you can't get blood from a stone. I feel bad for everyone involved, and it's a mess, but I don't see anything that can be done. All I know is that he was always very nice and helpful to me and I wish him the best.

Personal situations are not the concern of all of those who sent him money in good faith. That might sound a little cold but it's how it is. You can't use anything as an excuse to rip people off cause no matter what it's 100 percent wrong to do so.

• Like 10

I had many great transactions with Ax back many years ago, and got along with him great at a MGC once.

As to the 25th anniversary thing (and separately but similarly the XM), those two situations have made me completely gun shy about funding anything of the like. I don't do kickstarters, I don't send money for stuff that hasn't been made, and I don't expect people I don't know to come through on a promise. Even a monetary one.

Shit happens in life. Complete bullshit happens (and it sounds like that happened repeatedly to Ax). It would suck to be out the money if you invested, most def. But it would suck worse to be in poor health / have been flooded a couple of times.

Not overly but I do see what you mean. The XM on the other hand will be delivered soon enough I think and Curt has at least had broken contact over the last couple years. More open and positive contact with the buyers\public as of late due to the XM closing in on actually shipping I assume.

Ax on the other hand is not to be found and has done nothing to make good aside from offer to send unfinished junk to those that paid for a shinny working product, he has not been around openly for a good 2 years as mentioned above and has pretty much ran off with the thousands of dollars in total he took from a couple dozen people.

While the XM is disgustingly years late, it is getting done and I believe will ship. Those 25th consoles and whatever other stuff from Ax I don't ever see making it to those that bought them cause if he offered to send out unfinished work years later that tells it all right there.

Shawn, I know people are owed product that was not delivered, but can't you show a bit of empathy here?

Yes, it sucks that Ax is gone, but it was not by choice. Others have left by choice (most recently PMP) and I respect that. If some asshat showed up one day and scammed a bunch of forum members, then left town like a bandit, they I would agree, throw the gavel down. Ax is not one of those types. In fact he probably feels very bad about the ordeal but sometimes when life deals you a bad deck of cards, you have to accept that.

Ax has severe health problems, mouths to feed, lost stock due to flood damage, can't work, and possibly is in debt up to his nose with medical bills. Have a little bit of empathy for your fellow man, just saying...

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2

That's fair enough then. When I read someone was hanging out for their AV cable - I was wondering

For the record, I just posted for the sake of information. I'm not expecting to ever get the item I mentioned, and I'm OK with that (which doesn't mean I expect other people to be OK with any money they may have lost, especially if it's into three digits).

There's another forum member who owes me a much, much larger sum, but that's another story...

I lost money buying from Chickybaby here a few years ago, didn't even get to witness any of the fiasco that resulted in that disappearance, since it was all deleted. Also I didn't throw a fit. It's just gone, man. But everything I heard made it sound like actual scamming or just general personal craziness happened.

Never had a single problem with Ax, and I am also a witness to his unfortunate situation.

• Like 1

I think this needs to be locked. I haven't dealt with Ax before but it does sound like unfortunate case of someone falling off the Earth after taking the money. We will never know what happened to him or why he hasn't responded or repaid what he still owed.

I've lost my share of money in the past. People on forums have complained about "that someone who took money and left" but complaining usually won't get anywhere. Filing police report can help if the person lives in the same country and you are sure it's a scam.

Whether you want to file complaint with Ax is up to you. But complaining won't get him to come back for update or to offer refund or anything.

• Like 1

Whether you want to file complaint with Ax is up to you. But complaining won't get him to come back for update or to offer refund or anything.

Honestly filing a complaint on Ax would IMO be a dick move at this point. He's been through so much suffering, physically, emotionally, and financially, to add legal threats to his burden would only make things worse for him. Let bygones be bygones.

I think this needs to be locked.

Seconded. This thread is going nowhere.

Edited by stardust4ever

I think this needs to be locked.

Why? People have the right to voice their unhappiness with the situation. Nothing in the discussion so far has violated any rules. If the thread has outlived it purpose it will die off eventually.

No. What's wrong is wrong, everything else is just excuses.

A complete lack of empathy is one of the signs of being a sociopath. :ponder:

• Like 2

Curious question: for the "This thread needs to be locked" crowd.....

WHY does this thread "need" to be locked? Usually, a thread is locked due to blatant disregard for AtariAge behavioral standards, etc...etc... So far, what we have here is a civil discussion about a real situation, and differing opinions - all stated in a civil manner - about it.

So, what's the alleged reason for the proposed lock? YOU, PERSONALLY, don't want to read others discussing the topic in a civil manner? Please, disclose the reason and add to the the discussion. Or don't. Don't click on the topic. Whether you merely read the topic - or if you replied - you voluntarily clicked on it. Why? If the topic is distasteful to you, why do you click on it?

Asking for the topic to be locked because you don't like it (yet somehow can't resist the mouse clicks to bring you to read it, and additional mouse clicks to reply in objection) is ridiculous. What are you doing here (voluntarily reading in the first place, and voluntarily replying in the second place) anyway? Locking threads on any forum are usually because of misbehavior, not because you don't like the topic, yet elected to click on it. Cite the alleged misbehavior that "should" result in this thread being locked. Or cite yourself for voluntarily clicking on something that you shouldn't have if you can't handle the discussion, yet want to shut others up who are behaving themselves while they discuss something in a civil manner that YOU don't want them to, and somehow can't resist but click on.

• Like 5

It's possible to feel bad about a person's situation, while not allowing that same situation to be an excuse for not delivering a product or refunding money.

• Like 3

All I can say is that I'm thankful a few years back I was able to sell my pre-paid slot on the 25th Anniversary 7800 because it was painfully clear even then no forward progress was going to be made. While I sincerely hope his incredible run of bad luck is behind him, I also feel for the people who put their faith in him (meaning buying up others' slots) despite increasingly clear evidence that, for whatever reason, he was not going to be able to deliver.

Certainly I'm as active purchaser of homebrew stuff as anyone, and exceedingly patient with delivery, but even I get frustrated after a few years, which several high (and low) profile projects have fallen behind (and then some) over the years. I think it's reasonable to be understanding for a long stretch of time, but after a while, particularly with money changing hands, it's time to deliver the goods or refund the money.

I've called for it before in other topics, but it really would be nice to have some type of rules/arbitration in place for homebrew stuff that isn't ready for delivery within a three month period. Something that protects both the creators AND the buyers and avoids situations exactly like this one.

• Like 2

I'm just giving Shawn a hard time. :)

I figured that might have been the case.

To add to the original discussion .... My dealings with Ax always ended well, but it usually took 3+ months to get stuff I bought from him. That was even well before he started mentioning any health issues. It always seemed like he was taking on way too many commitments at a time.

Why? People have the right to voice their unhappiness with the situation. Nothing in the discussion so far has violated any rules. If the thread has outlived it purpose it will die off eventually.

One thing to remember here though is it's hard to feel "empathy" towards a faceless internet seller. Me and you have met Ax so it's different...

*edit, just read above you were kidding :)

Edited by Crazy Climber

To add to the original discussion .... My dealings with Ax always ended well, but it usually took 3+ months to get stuff I bought from him. That was even well before he started mentioning any health issues. It always seemed like he was taking on way too many commitments at a time.

I think it's human nature to think you can do more than you really can at particular times. I know I'm certainly guilty of that. From a personal standpoint there was only one significant time I was not able to deliver on something commercial and, fortunately, it was not so bad because no money changed hands. If money changed hands, it would have been quite the mess. Again, though, it's quite different when we're essentially talking unlimited time as we are with these pre-order situations that go on for years and years. Even if it requires some type of financial loss, the right thing to do is to eventually make good, even if it's paying off each person one at a time when practical (or whatever else makes the situation reasonably whole).

With all of the above in mind, with Kickstarter and other similar services there are no ramifications for failure to deliver, i.e., either run off with or squander the money, so maybe it's unreasonable to think there should be any ramifications or recourse for something that's even less structured.

• Like 2