IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

17 hours ago, dudeguy said:

I have a TG16 with the turbo booster plus. i have nothing to play though. im trying to find a game i can save files with to justify my purchase of the booster. Neutopia seems really good but i think all the Turbo games are spendy

Don't feed the greasy sharks who caused that problem, grab an everdrive as they're around the $90-100 mark and you can stuff all the goodies on one little micro sd card and not get ripped off by manipulative scum.  A perk, you can also have the true great library for the system using the PC Engine versions of games and the mass amount we got ignorantly denied (of which some have full translation patches too.)   I had a PCE up until a few years ago, did have around 30 or so games for it, but fed up with the crap I went with the flash kit.  Trust me you'll adore the investment.

18 hours ago, dudeguy said:

I have a TG16 with the turbo booster plus. i have nothing to play though. im trying to find a game i can save files with to justify my purchase of the booster. Neutopia seems really good but i think all the Turbo games are spendy

Hey it'll still save files for roms on a everdrive, as Tanooki recommended. As he says....turbob is an expensive project to undertake. I just watched a Pat the Nes Punk vid on a fire/smoke damaged huey and cd w/ instructions lot on ebay--granted it was like 90+% of the library, including one of the bigs ones (Terraforming)--but it went for 7K! Some of the manuals had smolder marks for gods sake! And who knows if the hueys...you know...work!

I believe there is even an attempt to make an everdrive type thing that will handle CD games. That''d be the ultimate as then the need to get a duo (which are SWEET) goes away.

I'm close but I'd need to spend like 10k+ to finish off a complete set....and that's like 4 BIG games mostly (Magical Chase, Syd Mead's Terraforming, Legend of Hero Tonma, Bonk 3 huey). I'm never getting there and that's ok.

Unlike tanooki, I still find PC-E fun to collect for though. Still kinda crazy but you have the advantage of learning about the library and crafting your searches etc. JP stuff is just more easily lost in the marketplaces and that lends a LITTLE more to your knowledge/ability helping you find stuff. A little.

What @GoldenWheels said is fact.  If you want the everdrive hold off.  It had been worked on by krikzz up until Presintator (president-dictator) Putin started is illegal war based on lies earlier this year when the attack put a hamper on that until krikzz could pack up safely and get out of the country.  He's back at it, and it is in development, as to what point, far enough but not ready for release or probably other than internal test.  The Turbo Everdrive Pro will run CD games as ISOs through the HuCard slot alone, the only downgrade, due to limits of the pinouts on the card slot, MONO audio, no rich stereo CD audio.

But given the costs of the games, which that $7K purchase for the burnout literal fire sale collection of the TG library, was utterly cheap all things considered -- it really makes you re-evaluate wanting a flash kit because of the stupid money idiots will throw at the system it's just not worth competing.  And that greedy toxic stupidity a few years ago (1yr before virus) finally hit Japan so hard, the locals got pissed off they were being taken advantage of and raised all their prices to compete with the west so that now prices of loose games are what complete ones were just 3 years ago and rising.  It's truly a loss, a don't bother unless you're loaded situation sadly.

I did like and find PCE buying fun, but the prices made my sanity limits push to where I couldn't afford any level of mental gymnastics to keep up with it.

I traded out for a PCE Mini, and then when I found a cheap local spare SNES CE console, I gutted it and loaded everything of the PCE/TG library I could to it, a copy of my old Turbo Everdrive memory card loadout.  I don't like it, but I do, had the JP prices not gone to shit I'd have kept it.

PC Engine is stupidly expensive. Don't even bother with TurboGrafx-16, as that's even worse. Get a ROM-loading device and then... uh, well don't go illegally download games online because that's illegal and illegal things are bad, but see if you can... you know, borrow them from a friend and dump them using your convenient HuCARD dumping device. Or something like that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have the Turbo Everdrive mostly for games like Magical Chase which I am never going to be able to afford. Still however, Im willing to drop $400-500 on a game I really like, but that's about the upper threshold of what I deem "sane" to spend on a game. I try to play everything on original, unmodded consoles with the original disc and cartridge. But its cost prohibitive obviously. Little Samson Id like to get eventually but I cant justify spending that kind of money right now. Game prices are what they are. supply and demand

If you're willing to spend that much, for about that much money you can get a cheap CoreGrafx and the SHDS3 Pro, which is RGB mod + jailbar fix + analog RGB out + HDMI out + HuCARD dumper + HuCARD ROM loader + ODE + Arcade Card emulation + SuperGrafx component emulator and probably some more things all in one, giving you everything you'd ever want and every single game all on mostly real hardware and with both analog and HDMI output.

I've heard that the original SSDS3 does not officially support the Turbo, just the PC Engine, and that it seems to be a tight fit on the Turbo, so while I do not know about the SHDS3 Pro, if you don't want to risk scratching your Turbo, get a cheap discolored PC Engine since those are easy to find and put it on there instead.

Or just get a MiSTer and get all of that stuff (except the HuCARD dumping feature) and everything else you'd ever want up to and including Saturn and even a few post-Saturn arcade systems all in one tiny little HDMI + potentially analog RGB or even JAMMA capable box the size of your fist, because that's about the same price now as well, I believe. Great little system. It's at least doubled in price over the last 2 years, though, and is fairly annoying to source parts for from what I understand, unfortunately.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Game prices aren't what they are, they're utterly manipulated and seeing the wonky VGPC line graph shows that enough.  Clearly spikes of bullshit scamming well out of inflation or the rest around the virus, hard spikes in interest due to coin baiting losers on youtube, etc.  There are some games that have been resistant to this and are well lower than others, it's very hive mind pick and choose abuse.

$500 isn't sane in the slightest on an old game, I had trouble even splitting funds from 2 places to justify $200 on Rescue Rangers 2, but that one is genuinely rare to find local anywhere and is usually rolls north of $300.  PCE stuff gets utterly whacko well beyond either of those figures.  There's a reason I got out, got a PCE Mini, then when I found a cheap spare SNES Classic hakchi'd that thing and turned it into basically a turbo everdrive HDMI style setup.  I'm not going to pay some despicable shark those rates, not like NEC is getting a dime out of it, and if they were then I'd reconsider because THEY wouldn't shark them at that price from historical evidence.

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Soldier Blade is expensive complete. You can expect 30000 yen or more. Never seen just the HuCARD by itself.

Somehow I managed to nab a solo HuCard (Edit: US, not JP) all by itself years ago. I wish I did have it complete, but I think I missed the boat on that one.

Edited by Rhomaios

8 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

Somehow I managed to nab a solo HuCard (Edit: US, not JP) all by itself years ago. I wish I did have it complete, but I think I missed the boat on that one.

I don't even want to know how much the US version costs now. It could be worse, though; the PC Engine version of Tatsujin is actually more expensive than the arcade PCB for some reason. At least, it used to be. I think the prices for the PCB went up recently.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I kinda fell into PC-E collecting...about 5 years ago some guy, right before xmas, listed all his games at $20-25 on ebay, in Turbo Zone Direct cases. I think I bought almost 30 games, maybe more. It was such a great deal, even than, I printed the completed auctions out and still have the paperwork at home. I got most of the Blades, Metal Stoker, Mr. Heli, Armed F, Atomic Robo Kid, Barunba, Xevious, St. Dragon, Tiger Heli, etc etc etc. All shooters and action games, no junk. Hell that lot kept me busy playing for almost a year or two. And then it was like....well you already started....now I am at like 150+.

There is still some COOL gear out there around PC-E. Korean clones, Playchoice style arcade boards (the Tour Vision), Taiwanese pay-arcade-conversion boards, special Summer Caravan prizes, etc etc etc. I was just able to grab a vintage Momotaru Densetsu plushie on ebay for $25, I believe it was either a Summer Caravan prize or a Hudson vending machine prize. It had been mis-categorized (IMO, was under stuffed dolls or something, not a video game related category) and I believe that was hiding it from most people who would be interested. So for me, there is still some "thrill of the hunt" (though it seems the really crazy stuff gets sold in facebook groups etc, and I'm not tapped into those nearly as much).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I recently got Bloody Wolf for $60 during a retrogaming convention, while it usually costs around $200 on eBay.

What?? Geeze.. maybe I should sell mine lol. Same for any of my other TG16 games. I never touch any of them at this point once I got the Everdrive in there. It's the same ROM contents, so why bother with the swapping hucards in and out when you can just turn on the machine and boom.. they're all already there. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Fortunately for me, my favorite in the series is also the cheapest, Final Soldier. 😎

That one is my second favorite. 

And I'm not too crazy for Super Star Soldier... there's a huge difficulty spike in stage 2 compared to 1... for me to beat stage 2 I have to make sure I keep all of my power ups from stage 1, or I get stuck in a death loop.

• Like 2