IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

So,

Everybody ready to get up Way Too Early tomorrow? 

(9AM for me...Damn!!)

Ready for...

ANALOGUE DUO PRE-ORDERS?!

Analogue Duo

Analogue, the master's of FOMO.  That being said, I do think that this is (potentially) a good option for those with a dedicated PCE / TG-16.  Hopefully they won't make this another fiasco like the Pocket was as their products are (for the most part) really worth it for fans of the various platforms they have produced products for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

So,

Everybody ready to get up Way Too Early tomorrow? 

(9AM for me...Damn!!)

Ready for...

ANALOGUE DUO PRE-ORDERS?!

Analogue Duo

Hmm...I wonder if I should sell my modded PC Engine Duo for one of these bad boys? I'd be using it on a CRT, but I suppose an HDMI to Component adapter could get the job done. Decisions, decisions...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Hmm...I wonder if I should sell my modded PC Engine Duo for one of these bad boys? I'd be using it on a CRT, but I suppose an HDMI to Component adapter could get the job done. Decisions, decisions...

I too have a modded PC Engine DUO-R...I'm keeping both!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Analogue, the master's of FOMO.  That being said, I do think that this is (potentially) a good option for those with a dedicated PCE / TG-16.  Hopefully they won't make this another fiasco like the Pocket was as their products are (for the most part) really worth it for fans of the various platforms they have produced products for.

Hey stop confusing roots and I!  ;)

When you say "fiasco",  my assumption is that you're referring to the wait,...The rollout.  Is that it?  The Pocket is Awesome!   Personally,  I think Analogue makes products worth waiting for.  For me,  the wait is part of the experience.  Not saying I enjoy it,  per se...Anyway,  there is no FOMO,  though I do get why you'd say that.  I looked at the product specs,  decided I wanted one,  and began slowly saving.  I'll have to see how much I've squirreled away because I haven't checked lately...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Hey stop confusing roots and I!  ;)

When you say "fiasco",  my assumption is that you're referring to the wait,...The rollout.  Is that it?  The Pocket is Awesome!   Personally,  I think Analogue makes products worth waiting for.  For me,  the wait is part of the experience.  Not saying I enjoy it,  per se...Anyway,  there is no FOMO,  though I do get why you'd say that.  I looked at the product specs,  decided I wanted one,  and began slowly saving.  I'll have to see how much I've squirreled away because I haven't checked lately...

I promise to stop confusing you with others going forward.

Also, to clarify some things.  For me the fiasco with the Pocket was the ordering and the rollout (to some degree).  Granted, not all of that was their fault, but they could have done a lot better.  As far as FOMO, I don't think that they intentionally try to do it.  My comment was more tongue in cheek.  But, I do believe there is some truth to it.  Not that Analogue is the Lone Ranger.  Plenty of others do it.  Hell, Razer did it with the Edge when that was rolling out and now they are trying to give the 5G models away for free with a promo on Verizon.

However, I will say Analogue products are really, really good and for fans of the products of the platforms they have made things for you really can't go wrong if one wants something that will last and won't have to fear of it not working properly.

Obviously, there are just my own thoughts.  Anyone can feel free to disagree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got a white one (Japan colorway) ordered.  I guess I wanted it to match my PC Engine DUO-R instead of my black TG16s (I have 3 of those)...

Tax and shipping were $43 for me, Wyoming, in the U. S.

Their shipping is Always high,  though I do believe they do a very good job at packing/shipping etc. 

Also I ordered a couple of controllers off Amazon...

You know,  I used to think the Turbografx 16 kind of nickel and dimed you...You had to buy an extension cable for the controller,  then a multi tap, and an A/V Booster...Hell I guess Analogue's just continuing the tradition haha...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

You know,  I used to think the Turbografx 16 kind of nickel and dimed you...You had to buy an extension cable for the controller,  then a multi tap, and an A/V Booster...Hell I guess Analogue's just continuing the tradition haha...

This is so frustrating to me when I look back. They already had Core Grafx/PC Engine with AV outs. Though I am unsure how early on they had them in Japan, they also had single control pads with built in dongles to expand to 2 player functionality (not five, no, but who actually ever used five a lot?)

Soooooooooo.... maybe don't spend time redesigning a beautiful, elegant little console to be bigger based on 'Americans like big things' while LOSING functionality (the AV out), and maybe DO INCLUDE a pack in pad which has a 2p port. Goddamn, do those two things, and find a better pack in game (the toughest nut of all actually, there was not a lot of great early software that could have BEEN the pack in) and I think the Turbo gets to market way earlier, potentially even beating the Genesis to market, and I feel it would have been WAY more successful.

Hot take: Pack in should have been China Warrior. Lame game but as a tech showcase? GTFOH Kung Fu.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Hot take: Pack in should have been China Warrior. Lame game but as a tech showcase? GTFOH Kung Fu.

As somebody who likes Keith Courage in Alpha Zones and does not like China Warrior, I could not disagree more with this "hot" take. Now, The Legendary Axe as the pack-in, I can get behind that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

As somebody who likes Keith Courage in Alpha Zones and does not like China Warrior, I could not disagree more with this "hot" take. Now, The Legendary Axe as the pack-in, I can get behind that.

Hey, I don't mind Keith Courage. It's OK. I also think China Warrior is just as OK.

Though Legendary Axe was out early with the Turbo release, my whole idea is that not redesigning the PC-E (and wasting so much time doing so) would have allowed it to get out much earlier in the US, at which point, the library would have been way more limited--no Legendary Axe most likely as that was late 88 in Japan. I'm guessing but I think the Turbo likely could have been released in mid 88 if they don't waste time removing the AV feature, only to put the system into a bigger case. SO stupid.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

What no Keith Courage?!  No Mashin Hero Wataru?!  Heathen.

LOL I don't hate it, I really don't. But with half the game not being much fun, and with the rename JUST to kiss butt to Keith Schaefer....I just don't love it.

Now, I've seen people say R-Type should have been the pack in....and  I love that game, but I think Keith makes way more sense as a pack in game then R-type! I can't imagine getting a BALLS hard shooter when I'm like 10 and having mom see all the weird bio-organism type designs of the game...

• Like 2

I've seen that and never for decades felt R-TYpe ever deserved to be a pack-in, other than some graphical fluff.  The difficulty edge on that, and the fact it's 1/2 the game so it's very short (once you can suffer through it) would be a huge turn off that would not appeal to players and maybe make them second guess their purchase.  IF this is the pack in, is the rest this cruel?

It's the Nintendo Mario paradox.  Do you put out the FDS SUper Mario Bros 2 knowing most will never see the end of it which just had decent but rapidly outdating graphics, or do you take the old mario alpha that was converted by the same mario team into Doki Doki Panic and peddle that, switch back to...Super Mario as Super Mario Bros 2?  Clearly Gamemaster Howard had an oh shit moment of history making proportions, and we got SMB2 which made the best sales of a non-pack-in title on the console and helped move many more people to buy the system.  NEC probably saw the same thing, Keith is more colorful, far more fair/easy, very approachable by arcade kids and new gamers of various ages...play it safe.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I've seen that and never for decades felt R-TYpe ever deserved to be a pack-in, other than some graphical fluff.  The difficulty edge on that, and the fact it's 1/2 the game so it's very short (once you can suffer through it) would be a huge turn off that would not appeal to players and maybe make them second guess their purchase. 

I agree with you it would not have been a good pack-in, but the US release has the whole entire game - it just drops the high resolution mode that the Japanese half releases had. The CD version has the whole game and the high resolution mode but I think it has something wrong with it too. I think there’s no perfect version of the game (though also no bad version of the game).

That said, I don’t know if there’s any Turbografx game I’ve played more.

A lot of the decisions in the TG16 packaging and launch were misguided in retrospect.. but it was still early in the post-Atari video game market, where the NES taking the US by storm was still a current thing.  So there wasn't a lot of precedent or history for marketing decisions and they had to try to guess what would make sense. Seems silly now but also at the time the common wisdom was that nearly everything had to be americanized (e.g. "bigger" for one) for US consumers, etc. 

I don't know though.. as one of the few, the proud, launch-buyers of the TG16, it DID feel fully next gen, especially once you started playing the games. Once you saw something like Blazing Lazers light up your TV, the NES just couldn't compare. :) And yeah that would have been a good pack-in game. BUT.. Keith Courage was decent for the time as well. Although that didn't last long. 

Edited by NE146
  • Like 3