IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Developing for hucard and cd are completely different - it would be a minor porting job to move it from hucard to cd, but to move from cd down to hucard would be very involved.

Also, the ROM limits on hucards are insane, so you will see much more simplistic homebrews for that unless it's coming from a master level programmer.

• Like 4

So... I'm thinking of getting back in the NEC game getting region-modded Duo-R or -RX, to at least play my old U.S. Hucards and possibly start collecting some of the more interesting cd games, etc. However current ebay listings show them in the $400-$500 range. e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-Duo-R-RGB-Turbo-Duo-R-JP-US-Region-free-TG-16-TGX-PCE-SCART-HDMI-A2-/122076757523?hash=item1c6c577e13:g:5LMAAOSwT5tWLRZk

Should I just go ahead and bite the bullet? Just trying to get a feel here for what is realistic vs. outrageous. :P

So... I'm thinking of getting back in the NEC game getting region-modded Duo-R or -RX, to at least play my old U.S. Hucards and possibly start collecting some of the more interesting cd games, etc. However current ebay listings show them in the $400-$500 range. e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-Duo-R-RGB-Turbo-Duo-R-JP-US-Region-free-TG-16-TGX-PCE-SCART-HDMI-A2-/122076757523?hash=item1c6c577e13:g:5LMAAOSwT5tWLRZk

Should I just go ahead and bite the bullet? Just trying to get a feel here for what is realistic vs. outrageous. :P

I would go get yourself a membership on http://pcenginefx.com/main/. (Approval takes some time it seems). Go to the marketplace, and talk to Keith Courage. He sells modded systems. I believe I paid about $330 for a recapped, region free, s-vid modded ( he also does component) PCE Duo. He's got tons of feedback and it all seems pretty positive.

• Like 2

Funnily enough, I just registered there earlier today and approval happened in minutes. I will definitely give it a shot! Thanks :)]

So is the consensus that a recapped Duo is the way to go vs. a Duo-R/Rx? I'm guess I was leaning towards the better internals of the Duo-R after getting scared off by the tales of Duo reliability issues. But that might be moot if it's as fixed as it sounds like..

Funnily enough, I just registered there earlier today and approval happened in minutes. I will definitely give it a shot! Thanks :)]

So is the consensus that a recapped Duo is the way to go vs. a Duo-R/Rx? I'm guess I was leaning towards the better internals of the Duo-R after getting scared off by the tales of Duo reliability issues. But that might be moot if it's as fixed as it sounds like..

Beyond my knowledge base there, I don't know a lot about the R's or RXs or if they have similar capacitor or laser issues. But from what I could see a recapped PCE Duo was the cheapest way to play everything so that was the way I went. But somebody over there I am sure has an answer.

A word of advice about that board - they do not respond well to new users making WTB threads, I would suggest hitting up Keith Kourage directly with a PM or reading the trading threads and PMing one of the other system modders on there. MNKYdeth, Turbokon, and a few others are alternatives to Kieth but it sounds like he's the best (I got my Duo-R from Turbokon)

I would go get yourself a membership on http://pcenginefx.com/main/. (Approval takes some time it seems). Go to the marketplace, and talk to Keith Courage. He sells modded systems. I believe I paid about $330 for a recapped, region free, s-vid modded ( he also does component) PCE Duo. He's got tons of feedback and it all seems pretty positive.

Glad to see you registered an account there. Don't pay hyper-inflated eBay prices for something that may break tomorrow.

Also for hucard only n00bs like myself, Aetherbyte have the Atlantean homebrew and there is a new dualcard homebrew (F-Zero clone and a puzzle game) that turbokon is selling. I haven't had a chance to play my copy yet, as I am too hyped up for the AVS (720p FPGA NES/Famicom) coming out! :lust:

Beyond my knowledge base there, I don't know a lot about the R's or RXs or if they have similar capacitor or laser issues. But from what I could see a recapped PCE Duo was the cheapest way to play everything so that was the way I went. But somebody over there I am sure has an answer.

To play everything, the cheapest is the Pc-engine white+ CD Rom² unit+Super System card, which can cost you under 200$ if you get them in Japan and are ready to bid on a dead CD-ROM² unit hoping it's a case of rotten gear and not a dead laser.

Of course you might need to throw a bit more cash if "everything" include US titles and Arcade Card games, but you can get tham from the savings made on the system.

Duo-R and RX are made later and uses fewer parts and presently needs less work. Right now they generally don't need recapping but sooner or later they may need to be recapped. Don't pick R or RX over black Duo just because it seems "better built", get whatever works and cheap. RX costs more because it came with 6 button controller but the RX controller isn't comfortable compared to other 6 button controller and IMO not worth the extra money if you're not collecting system variations.

R and RX are later made and generally they are fine but sooner or later they may need recapping anyway. If the cost is an issue and the space is not an issue, PCE or CoreGrafx + CD system is much cheaper than Duo. You do need to make sure the laser is working and the gear is fixed or replaced. Duo usually don't have gear problem.

To play everything, the cheapest is the Pc-engine white+ CD Rom² unit+Super System card, which can cost you under 200$ if you get them in Japan and are ready to bid on a dead CD-ROM² unit hoping it's a case of rotten gear and not a dead laser.

Of course you might need to throw a bit more cash if "everything" include US titles and Arcade Card games, but you can get tham from the savings made on the system.

A few drawbacks of getting PCE and CD system is that it takes up more space, more caps to replace if it hasn't be recapped, and requires separate System 3.0 card to play most games, around $30 shipped. If you're planning to get Turbo Everdrive and it is version 2.x you can get modified System 3.0 ROM to play correctly and not need actual System 3.0 card. Duo has 3.0 built in.

I got my Duo-R very cheap almost 2 years ago, under $150 shipped. It had issue playing certain game, the CD games that required System 3.0 with the extra 64k RAM and not the older CD-ROM^2 games. I found the cause, a bad trace to 64K RAM. A short piece of kynar wire and it works 100%. It has been modded with extra BRAM giving me 16x more save game spaces so I don't need to shuffle save games with Tennokoe Bank Card to make room.

Just an update.. it looks like I'll be buying a recapped Duo thanks to the forums you guys linked me to :) My goal was to have it all.. US & JAP Hucard compatibility, and an Everdrive of course. It looks like the Duo would work fine with the region switch.

I just ordered a NES EverDrive N8 last week, and am still waiting for it to get here (been spending a lot of money as of late).. and once that gets here then I'll probably pull the trigger on the Turbo Everdrive. :lol:

Really looking forward to firing up the NEC catalog again ~25 years after storing all my games. Yeah I've dinked with and played games using Magic Engine and others to an extent (including the excellent Xbox port of Mednefen).. but we all know it's never really the same. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

A few drawbacks of getting PCE and CD system is that it takes up more space, more caps to replace if it hasn't be recapped, and requires separate System 3.0 card to play most games, around $30 shipped. If you're planning to get Turbo Everdrive and it is version 2.x you can get modified System 3.0 ROM to play correctly and not need actual System 3.0 card. Duo has 3.0 built in.

I got my Duo-R very cheap almost 2 years ago, under $150 shipped. It had issue playing certain game, the CD games that required System 3.0 with the extra 64k RAM and not the older CD-ROM^2 games. I found the cause, a bad trace to 64K RAM. A short piece of kynar wire and it works 100%. It has been modded with extra BRAM giving me 16x more save game spaces so I don't need to shuffle save games with Tennokoe Bank Card to make room.

More room? I have seen both and the footprint is quite identical, give or take some centimeters. Admittedly, you do have an unexpected lost of space beacuse the outputs on the IFU-30 are on the side, not on the back.

But it's not quite as huge of a difference as there can be between a PlayStation and a PS1.

For the caps, does it really need to be recapped? I never heard of an original Pc-Engine needing recapping, and so far I got two CD-ROM² units and the caps were fine enough. I'd be surprised that the Cd-ROM² contain more caps than the Duo, but I could be wrong. I opened them for replacign the rotten gear and I don't recall seeing lots of electrolytic caps.

For the System card, I mentionned it, and if you order the system and cars in the same bulk you save on shipping.

Of course if you get such as deal as you do, it's better.

But those days on eBay Japan I see Duo and Duo R being sold for 350$/400$, with about 70$ of shipping.

The IFU 30 set still floats around 60 to 90$ to be obtained, add the 70$ for shipping and that's 160$ VS 420$. Of course that's a matter of choice buuuuttt... The saving is real, here.

For what it's worth, I think the "briefcase" units are awesome looking.

I believe the capacitor issue is a Duo and Turbo/PC-E Express problem. I don't think it is a problem with Core/PCE/Supergrafx/Shuttles.

That plus the CD units also needs recapping. PCE, Coregrafx, and TG-16 core system all are better and rarely needs recap.

Welp.. thanks to mickcris on the pcenginefx forums, I got my Turbo duo with a region switch yesterday, and couldn't be happier. It's really nice playing these games on an SDTV again with its real control pad.

FQAK4QGr.jpg

Right off the bat a number of hucards I tried did not work and would only give a blank screen,. but taking a polymer eraser to them fixed it for the most part. I suspect there are more to come.. these cards have been sitting in various dusty places for decades after all. :lol: However I've played most TG16 games I'd be interested in to death already.. what I'm really excited for are what I ignored back in the day.. the Turbo cd games. :) I've played Rondo on and off in emulators (pc & xbox 1, etc.) and on the PSP.. but could never really bring myself to get very far. Playing it on the real hardware though just feels totally right.. think I'll give it a good run this time. Ditto for Gates of Thunder and the other cd shmups.

• Like 2

Welp.. thanks to mickcris on the pcenginefx forums, I got my Turbo duo with a region switch yesterday, and couldn't be happier. It's really nice playing these games on an SDTV again with its real control pad.

Right off the bat a number of hucards I tried did not work and would only give a blank screen,. but taking a polymer eraser to them fixed it for the most part. I suspect there are more to come.. these cards have been sitting in various dusty places for decades after all. :lol: However I've played most TG16 games I'd be interested in to death already.. what I'm really excited for are what I ignored back in the day.. the Turbo cd games. :) I've played Rondo on and off in emulators (pc & xbox 1, etc.) and on the PSP.. but could never really bring myself to get very far. Playing it on the real hardware though just feels totally right.. think I'll give it a good run this time. Ditto for Gates of Thunder and the other cd shmups.

Don't sleep on the PC-E library hueys either! Some really fun games in there, and they're fairly affordable (compared to TG stuff nowadays anyway...my gosh). PCE Space Invaders has an awesome remix mode with better graphics, power ups, etc. It's almost more like a full sequel imo.

Don't sleep on the PC-E library hueys either! Some really fun games in there, and fairly they're affordable (compared to TG stuff nowadays anyway...my gosh)

Definitely :) but for the most part I've already played through a good number of PCE games as well, although I tended to rent them only for the most part. I do own a handful though, like SF2. Playing through a rented PCE Ninja Gaiden is one of my more vivid memories. :lol:

Matter o' fact I still have my adapter that I used to play them on the TG16, but I guess I won't be needing it from this point. :) Not my picture.. but this is the adapter I have.

pc+engine+converter.png

• Like 2

If you have Everdrive, you won't need the converter. I'd sell it on eBay or something while it's still work a good chunk of cash. The only reason to keep the converter is if you don't have region modded system and regularly come across imported games cheap that you can pick up and flip for profit.

What's a good chuck of cash? Just curious what they go for...

This one went for 160 (with the box) on a BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Grafx-16-Hu-Card-International-Game-Converter-WH-301-/311665173099?hash=item4890b1226b:g:p5UAAOSweXhXmRmF

This one went for 133 (with the box) in an auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Converter-WH-301-for-Turbografx-16-Turbo-Express-w-original-box-/162140732945?hash=item25c0573e11:g:mwIAAOSwaB5XjTQF

And JMO, but I think those prices are actually largely for the converter, NOT the CIB status. But I can't find a "loosie" price.

Interesting point indeed.

It might just that Hudson, as far as I can recall, never made any light gun game since they developped first on computers, and most computer of the 8 bits era lacked in light guns as well.

It's possible that the video architecture of the PC-Engine made hard/impossible to make a decently working light gun so no third party company bothered to do one.

• Like 1

Hypothetical scenario time here: If I were to get a region converter along with a handful of games and a Turbo booster for my TG16, which one should I get according to you folks: Barney converter, orange Kisado converter, or the DB electronics converter?

Edited by Prosystemsearch