IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

One reason that the prices have gone insane is people are discovering the system for the first time, so the demand is high. I've seen lose commons go for $40 or even more.

People seem to have more money than sense these days.

• Like 2

Well, this is annoying. I never found my old resistor kit and recently paid $55 for a new SMD assortment because I didn't want to wait for the old one to turn up. I wanted to hurry up and try the 47K-ohm resistor fix for the Old Skool PGS controllers before the revised version arrives so I could see if it solved the TurboTap incompatibility. It did, but not 100% (turbo speed issues).

It turns out that the two SMD resistors I needed to remove for installing DCHDMI are both 47K-ohm and I've installed two DCHDMI kits during the same period that I was looking for my kit. That was enough to do two Old Skool PGS controllers for my TG16, which is exactly the number I've already done with the $55 kit. Doh! Well, it's not going to remove the sting of that $55 kit but I'll still salvage this last set of 47k-ohm resistors for my third Old Skool PGS controller. While I'm at it, I'll look for any other component differences that might explain the new turbo speed issue.

Success! I got the Old Skool PC Engine/Duo/TurboGrafx-16 controller working perfectly with the TurboTap!

In addition to replacing the 330-ohm resistors at R1 and R2 with 47k resistors, it needed a 0.1uF bypass capacitor on the 74HC157. It didn't take too long to realize that the routing and component layout is atrocious. Ground is a hair-thin trace that passes under the 74HC157 on it's way to the 74HC163, and all the footprints for the bypass caps are pointlessly hanging out over there by the 163. At least they realized it was pointless to put all the bypass caps in the same place so they left a couple footprints unpopulated.

The only nearby ground for the 74HC157 was pin 8 on the same chip, so I slapped a 1206-sized 0.1uF cap on top of the 74HC157 and jumpered it to pin 16 (+5v) and pin 8 (GND). That's all it took to fix the turbo issues with the TurboTap/DuoTap. Of course, it needed 0805-sized 47K-ohm resistors on R1 and R2 to get it working on the TurboTap at all, with or without the bypass cap to fix wonky turbo.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Konami just announced a TurboGrafx mini! Games listed so far are Adventure Island, Alien Crush, Ys Book 1 and 2, Dungeon Explorer, R-Type, and Ninja Spirit. There will be mini PC Engine versions, too.

This is the first mini console I want.

Well, Kanye will be happy. :)

Wondering if the controller will be full-size and board-swap with an original or Old Skool replica. On that note, I should probably see if the Old Skool replica swaps with the original (I think it will).

I’ve actually agreed to look at two sample controllers tonight to evaluate two different fixes for the factory (resistors on one; bypass cap or resistors+bypass cap on the other). I don’t get to keep them or anything and I’m not even supposed to look inside but I think it’s really cool that they’re involving a random Joe-blow user like me.

Great! I couldn’t get through the age gate even when I disabled content blockers. Had to add it to my ad-blocker white list. :)

Yeah, it was giving me fits, too. Finally found a different link (to the PC Engine/Japanese site) then changed the language.

Noticed it mentioned 5-player, too... so internal TurboTap? Some external device? Wonder how they'll work it. Looks like two USB plugs in front, I think...

Oh... see it now... multitap sold separately. Some things never change. LOL

Edited by Eltigro

Yeah, it was giving me fits, too. Finally found a different link (to the PC Engine/Japanese site) then changed the language.

Noticed it mentioned 5-player, too... so internal TurboTap? Some external device? Wonder how they'll work it. Looks like two USB plugs in front, I think...

Oh... see it now... multitap sold separately. Some things never change. LOL

Probably optional if you already have a USB hub. ;) Edited by CZroe

I dunno... if it looks like a mini TurboTap... I'd want it. =)

Same. You’re talking to the guy who bought the sold-separately Family Computer Mini USB adapter on his trip to Japan a couple years ago...

laamdpe.jpg

At least it was cheap! Way overpaid on the Fami though.

• Like 1

Thinking about it... I want one of the USB TurboGrafx controllers to use with emulators on my computer. The turbo switch being right there is very helpful. As it is, in the emulator I'm using, you have to go into a menu to switch the turbo setting on or off. That is, as long as it will work like I'm hoping...

• Like 1

I want and don't want this, and it's because of how they're doing things from the early look of it. They're pulling a SNK here (Neo Geo Mini) and it's not cool. I get having some stuff specific to a region, but usually have it be something that's just popular there or only readable there like the FC mini had with the mystery reading tantei club title.

Konami though (kind of like they did on the SFC with Mystical Ninja in Japan but not elsewhere) they're keeping a super popular title seemingly out of the US (Castlevania Dracula X.)

This is going to probably be fine with some of the hardcore of buyers, but beyond that it's going to get people angry. Much like the Neo Geo Mini and Playstation Classic I think you'll see this thing get more hacked than it already would have been so it can get a fair list of games added to the device than it would have already been. Sega so far with their upcoming box like Nintendo seem to have a fair good selection so more copies will likely go untampered with.

At this rate if I grabbed one, I have to admit the TG still looks ugly (I had a duo) I'd get the Core Grafx and if they force me from bad game selection, I'd hack it. Since the aftermarket seems not to care to make a HDMI device for the old NEC systems like Nintendo, Sega, etc have had happen I'd be more on board with it.