IGNORED

Sega Dreamcast

A few things Jez San 'forgot' to mention whilst blaming Sega for failure of DC Red Dog at retail...

1)It was originally intended as a launch title, by time it had been reviewed, mauled, taken back in, re-reviewed..maybe the market had simply moved on and it would of fared better as a launch title?

2)Sega did at least ensure readers of the Official DC magazine got to try it for themselves, it was a playable demo on the cover disc of Issue 5, March 2000.The same issue it was originally reviewed (4/10) so even if you were'nt convinced by review, you had chance to exp.hands on...

So what else was Sega really meant to do with a title the DC specific press were'nt that keen on?.

• 2 weeks later...

bump. The Dreamcast deserves one.

I've noticed that some Dreamcast games I own have a white spine and some have a black spine. Why is that? Did they all start with a white spine and then they decided to go with a black spine later on? That's what it seems like since the 1999 releases have white spines and the 2001 ones have black. When did the change take place? And why? Or do I just have too much time on my hands?

I was watching a Portland Blazers NBA ad and they were talking about things they got for Christmas. One thing a player mentioned was an N64. Another player mentioned a Dreamcast. And then it occurred to me, I'm older than these guys, but not much. I got my N64 for my 14th birthday.

• Like 1

I had been playing Star Wars Ep1: Jedi Power battles, and also Episode 1: Pod Racer , on Dreamcast, up until I watched the new SW VII. I like the run-n-slash platforming of Jedi Power Battles, but the game kept making my DC reset in the middle of a Coruscant level (which is level 5 or 6 into the game), so I put it away. Ep1 Pod Racer is showing its age a bit but still a fun racer for a while. The voices have the Episode I stink on them. Little Anakin yells out "yeah!" and "arghhhh" and other off-putting clips; and the announcer is annoying. "Its a new track REC-ORD!!" , it almost makes me want to slow down and not get a new track record. I think its fun though, upgrading your pod racer and learning the techniques and tracks. But I'm done with DC for a while now, I put it away and set up my Saturn for while. :)

Slowly but surely I have grown to love the Dreamcast, it's a great little system. I have been playing Maximum Pool on it the last few mornings. It has become one of my favorite Dreamcast games. I had a Saturn once, but I hardly ever used it, so I got rid of it, but I don't think I could ever get rid of my DC.

Does anyone know when the homebrew Slave will come out? On the Goat Store's website it mentions the game being in 2014, but you can only pre-order it. ???

Got an email a while back saying they're still working on fixing a bug. My guess will be mid 2016 since they won't give out a date. It's the first homebrew I've ever bought so I'm real anxious.

Edited by xenomorpher

• 2 weeks later...

I just made my account so bare with me, on some advice from friends who are members of this site I joined to ask this; Are there any collectors of dreamcast stuff that would know the value of a Half-life for dreamcast promotional poster?

As far as I can tell from google searching there isn't much in the way of advertising for this game available since it was never released. I have had this poster stored away for a long time, back when I used to help run a local lan-party. This was given to us by valve to use as either a prize or just gaming content to put up at the event.

post-44980-0-86667700-1452385381_thumb.jpgpost-44980-0-38535600-1452385389_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows the only rip the poster has, also there are pin holes on the top and bottom from it being hung at the lan-party.

Id love to hear anything from the community on this, I'm not sure if i'm going to sell it as of yet but there is always that possibility.

• Like 1

I bought mine new (white) for $50 bucks after it flopped. That's one failed system that didn't deserve its fate. I even bought the keyboard and used the dial up modem to browse the web back then.

The controllers are my favorite for any modern system and the VMU modules are the coolest.

Favorite game would probably be Jet Grind Radio...I racked up a lot of hours on that one.

When the Dreamcast was over and everyone was clearing their stock I remember walking into our local Best Buy and they had about a hundred Dreamcasts on the floor at 50 bucks a pop. Should have picked up a few. I should have picked one up when ThinkGeek.com had a bunch of new old stock DCs a few years back for cheap as well. I did own the Shenmue 2 import for Dreamcast which required a boot loader and I could barely stand playing it. It was loading every 15 seconds it seemed. Move, load, load, move, load, move, load, repeat. I am guessing the DC just didn't have the memory muscle to handle 2 and I am glad they ported it to the original Xbox. I got out of Dreamcast around the time of the bullet hell game Ikaruga which I hear pushes the Dreamcast hardware and is rather good on the DC.

Edited by LiqMat

I picked up one toward the very end, around 2001 or 2002 at a Gamestop for $20 used. I remember seeing them in Toys R Us around the launch date and being blown away, but I still had my hands full with my N64 and PSone. After I picked one up, I stocked up on cheap games while you could still get them! I picked up some great games like Giga Wing 2 and Grandia 2 (still have it sealed, already had the PS2 version by that point) for next to nothing. I picked up a second $20 bargain bin Dreamcast, a Sega Sports console, but it later got stolen. Fast forward to around 2009, and a coworker offered to sell me his entire game collection for really cheap. In that collection was a minty boxed Dreamcast with a ton of great games that I didn't have yet.

As of right now, I have 3 Dreamcasts and a pretty good library of games. The shooters and fighting games on the DC are excellent, and Shenmue was a ton of fun back then too. And then there's the DC Emulation scene... :grin:

• Like 1

... the bullet hell game Ikaruga which I hear pushes the Dreamcast hardware and is rather good on the DC.

The beauty of play that game today is using the VGA cable and plugging it into a 16:9 flat panel, and then propping that up rotated 90°

They always recommended against doing that with CRTs so I never tried it, plus all the CRT did was make it 3:4 rather than 4:3 and still composite blurry... the VGA cable does wonders for Ikaruga.

Side note... what IS the problem with rotating a CRT?

I imagine it COULD do something to mess with how it operates,.. except that a GOOD chunk of arcade games were DESIGNED to be played on a rotated CRT!

Side note... what IS the problem with rotating a CRT?

I imagine it COULD do something to mess with how it operates,.. except that a GOOD chunk of arcade games were DESIGNED to be played on a rotated CRT!

Magnetic field. Arcade with rotated CRT is designed to be mounted that way and not be rotated to horizontal. TV are designed to be horizontal and doesn't take kindly to being flipped. You risk having trippy RGB lava lamp effect on some CRT.

They used to make CRT's that were meant to be flipped. They were used for graphic artists.

There were indeed CRT monitors that were meant to be rotated. I remember selling one particular model when I worked at Computer City for a brief time in the mid-1990s. I loved the fact that you could rotate it to portrait orientation and have a nice recreation of how a full printed page would look. While I would have loved to have owned that, it was beyond my means at the time, and probably something I wouldn't have used much. In fact, of all the monitors that I had that either were rotatable or I put on arms that you could rotate, I rarely bothered to do it. It's one of those things I think that's nice in concept, but not really necessary in practice.

• Like 1

There were indeed CRT monitors that were meant to be rotated. I remember selling one particular model when I worked at Computer City for a brief time in the mid-1990s. I loved the fact that you could rotate it to portrait orientation and have a nice recreation of how a full printed page would look. While I would have loved to have owned that, it was beyond my means at the time, and probably something I wouldn't have used much. In fact, of all the monitors that I had that either were rotatable or I put on arms that you could rotate, I rarely bothered to do it. It's one of those things I think that's nice in concept, but not really necessary in practice.

Except people with phones and tablets do it all the time for photos...

Except people with phones and tablets do it all the time for photos...

Usage is obviously quite different on a mobile device versus a desktop-bound device, where switching between either orientation is more or less instantaneous on the former (with an operating system designed around doing exactly that) and a bit more of a process on the latter.

LCD doesn't suffer from any issue when changing orientation, they aren't sensitive t magnet. And I have not seen a smart phone with CRT display. :P

I do remember computer CRT that can be rotated, Radius Pivot were one example. I wanted one of those but they were expensive back then and when they became cheap in the used market, they were also small and low res compared to newer monitors so I never got one.

I knew there had to be SOME reason.

But as has also been stated, rotating and LCD has NO negative effect so...

Rotate that LCD ndn play Ikaruga in classic oldschool shooter "tall" screen!!!

*edit: I also like rotating the screen and playing MAME... the DK trilogy never looked so great!.. except for maybe in the actual cabinets!

Edited by Torr

• 7 months later...