IGNORED

Sega Dreamcast

I have 2 white/grey? Dreamcasts. I'd like to get a Sports Edition or another color but I just haven't wanted to spend the money on yet another Dreamcast.

As far as games, I liked a lot of the common ports like Tony Hawk, Rush 2049 etc. Jet Grind Radio and Power Stone 2 are among my favorites, though. Chu Chu Rocket is also a blast. I have loads of good feelings thinking back about the online gaming with this thing. PSO, Alien Front and Quake 3 were a joy. It remains one of my favorite consoles to this day.

Edited by omegadot
  • Like 1

I'll never forget the day Sega Dreamcast came out,my older brother who happened to be a game tester for Sony during the PS1 era bought one and brought it home.

Never how forget how mindblowing it was to play Soul Caliber in our living room,it was literally like having the arcade at home!

Then my brother got sick of the Dreamcast somehow and around 2002 I inherited the Dreamcast when I moved to my first apartment. I'll never forget playing Crazy Taxi in my first apartment lol. Then I let my cousin borrow the Dreamcast and never got it back to this day. Looks like I'm gonna have to hunt for a new one. Also thought the Dreamcast controllers were highly innovative for those times.

• Like 2

I bought mine new (white) for $50 bucks after it flopped. That's one failed system that didn't deserve its fate. I even bought the keyboard and used the dial up modem to browse the web back then.

The controllers are my favorite for any modern system and the VMU modules are the coolest.

Favorite game would probably be Jet Grind Radio...I racked up a lot of hours on that one.

• Like 1

I'd much rather have a black Dreamcast but I've only got a grey one at the moment. It was free from a friend who was moving and liquidating his possessions, though, so I really can't complain.

My hands down favorite title is the Japanese-only release "Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1", which contains arcade perfect versions of After Burner II, Hang On, Space Harrier, Outrun, and Power Drift. Power drift is my favorite Sega game ever. I think that the "Last Blade 2" port is pretty darned good as well. The discs that spend the greatest amount of time in my console, however, are the Dreamcast Master System and Atari 800 emulators.

• Like 1

My Dreamcast is white and has a yellowed top. I bet that thing's been through a lot, since I hought it used. When it first came out, i was still having Nintendo consoles (the N64), but now that I have one, there aren't that many games I am interested in for it. So unfortunately my favorite games are the arcade compilations (Midway 1, 2, Namco Museum). I like the idea of ChuChu Rocket, but only 25 mazes kind of kills the idea of it.

• Like 1

I love my white one (these things don't really look gray to me). I would have bought a black one, but I don't like the sports logo on them. Kind of tacky, imo. Maybe racist, too.

Here are some recommendations:

Crazy Taxi

Crazy Taxi 2

Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000 Pro

Grandia II

Hydro Thunder

Last Blade 2

Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes

Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Rayman 2

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing

SoulCalibur

Sturmwind

Tokyo Xtreme Racer

Trizeal

Virtua Tennis

Zero Gunner 2

• Like 1

A fantastic system, went through 3 or 4 at the time (dreaded resetting issue) still have 2 now.

It (sadly) could'nt compete again'st imagined power of PS2, but games like:

MSR, JSR, Ecco, Powerstone, Incoming, Expendable, Record Of Lodoss, R2R and R2R:R2, Rayman 2, Starlancer, HOTD2, Unreal T, Quake 3, Phantasy Star Online etc etc made it very special back then...

The homebrew makes it essential for myself today....

It was the 1st time i ever went online (and i miss the Dreamarena days)...

I could just eat it up, i love it that much.

I still actively look into it's Lost games these days.

Unseen 64 has the findings so far.

• Like 1

I remember playing Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast at a high-end local video game store that specialized in import gaming in like the spring of 1999 and remember being blown away. I got the Dreamcast on 9/9/99, along with Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur and Blue Stinger. I loved the system.

Some of my favs:

Shenmue, SoulCalibur, Blue Stinger, Resident Evil: CV, Metropolis Street Racer, Phantasy Star Online, Dead or Alive 2, Sega GT, Maken X, Starlancer, Grandia 2, Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, SF Rush: 2049, Test Drive: 24 Hour Le Mans, Rainbow Six and Skies of Arcadia. That is off the top of my head, so I'm probably missing a few.

The online functionality of games like Shenmue, Sega GT, Metropolis Street Racer, etc., was really cool and the online multiplayer in games like Phantasy Star Online and Starlancer was amazing. Putting 4-8 hours in a single day into PSO was common back then...lol

• Like 1

Dreamcast will probably always be my favorite game system. I got mine on 9/9/99 too.

My favorite games, weird though some of them are:

Ooga Booga, Plasma Sword, Toy Commander, Power Stone, Confidential Mission, Typing of the Dead, Space Channel 5, Speed Devils, Phantasy Star Online (it was so awesome to play online with friends for free!), Ready 2 Rumble, Hydro Thunder, Rush 2049, Jet Grind Radio, Cannon Spike, Armada, Dynamite Cop, Demolition Racer, Capcom Vs SNK, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves.

It was an arcade lover's dream. Why didn't it sell? Well, not enough licensed big name sports games for that huge market, and not enough RPG's for the opposite kind of player / market. And ridiculously awful commercials / marketing. And the name Dreamcast. And the idiotic VMU's with batteries that died every five minutes :P.

It needed a lot of things it never got in order to sell well; the much maligned never released Streets of Rage 4, a new Golden Axe, a Panzer Dragoon Saga sequel (or a shooter, but preferably an RPG, even a remake of the first), EA sports games (I don't like them, but they are a huge market, even if all their games were getting worse reviews than the 2k series), a Shining Force game, a Dragon Force game, a new Virtua Cop game, the never released Castlevania game ("Cancelvania") that development had begun on... All kinds of stuff could have happened to turn its fortunes for the better.

But all that said, I still love it to absolute pieces. :)

• Like 1

I like that startup screen also ... but does anyone agree with me that the original playstation had the best startup .

Totally agree! And I remember back in '95 being blown away at that startup. Damn, 20 years this September!! I was starting 9th grade and bought it in 1997. Crash Bandicoot was my first game. Still have my original console to this date and works flawless.

• Like 4

That brings memories too. I got my PSX probably a year after the original release, late '98 I think. The first 2 games I got were King's Field (long box) and Suikoden. I still have the very same PSX 18 years later but I can't remember which PSX anymore. It's been mixed in with about 30 other PSX and PSOne consoles I've picked up over the last 10 years mostly under $10.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Love the Dreamcast and an avid Shenmue I and II fan. Shenmue is what I got me more involved with the console though. Which is why these two games are on my top list for the DC!

I just purchased all three Shenmue OST on vinyl that will be available in August.

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Besides playing Crazy Taxi alot on the DC,I also really loved Bust A Move 4!!!!!

Speaking of PS1 nostalgia,again my older brother was a game tester for Sony during those days. We literally had every PS1 game that was produced from 1995 - 2000. My brother always came home with a brand new game from his work,and I agree that PS1 startup screen is rad. We had every PS1 game,even Tail of the Sun lol. Also I'll never forget getting baked with my friends in the backyard while our parents were away and then going back inside the house for a good game of Twisted Metal or Jumping Flash. Ahh the 90's lol.

Anyways I remember the Dreamcast being popular amongst the college/raver crowd in those days as well. I totally forgot about the keyboard and modem though. Getting on the internet using a regular television seems rather strange these days.

Edited by lushgirl_80

Anyways I remember the Dreamcast being popular amongst the college/raver crowd in those days as well. I totally forgot about the keyboard and modem though. Getting on the internet using a regular television seems rather strange these days.

regular as in common, or regular as in "Standard Definition" because I feel like on the other handit's getting more and more comon, with 1080p displays and PS3/4 XBox360/Bone hooked up on Internet.

• Like 1