IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

Unless the one you have has something wrong with it I'd just IPS that, trust me I had a bivert, it's not good.  It was copium basically for the masses tired of worm lights and desk lamps a decade ago.  The biverted system will be a hard sell against the IPS stuff too.  I'd just not bother, but it's your call.

It's one of the first games I got (as a bootleg mind you) when I got my Analogue Pocket. Definitely one of Treasure's best but also one of the best GBA games. It's not a mainstream classic for sure but I wouldn't say it's forgotten since it's well known and liked among GBA enthusiasts.

• Like 1

Astroboy on GBA was their best GBA and handheld game, one of their best overall really given how much they're overly puffed up by people gaslighting anyone with criticisms.  I'm not big on many of their games, overrated, yeah I said it, but the stuff that is genuinely good and usually is known but spoke of a bit less like this and Bangaioh are well worth owning.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My brother had a gameboy.. i would buy him the games based on all the latest movies,,,,, then he'd say,,,,, "WHERE'S THE COLOR????" didn't take till like 99 for a gameboy to have color.. even then in 98 and 99 people still made og game boy games.. haha..

• Confused 1

I still hate that ad, hated it then, still do now.   Originally just being pro-Nintendo and another reason, the another still stands... they used deceit and misdirection, Sega marketing of the 90s based their house of cards on lies and manipulation to sell product because they largely knew they had lacking hardware and if not that alone, lacking games.  GB was no color, but the games were far better, battery life was insane compared, easier to pocket, etc... so they just stuck to color.  But were they smart about it being uplifting?  No, they called Gameboy users slow witted fat retards basically that needed to be beat with vermin to get what you could from a game gear.  Right in line with them calling the SNES slow, trashy, and unworthy by having Mario Kart putter along against Sonic which are not even the same genre, but not even the same perspective, and laughably showcasing Mode7 which Sega couldn't do. :D  Sega's rotten ads put me off every paying them for shit until around 1997 when I was in college as I refused to fund deceits.  Id' buy stuff second hand off friends, use things at other places/homes, but pay Sega... hell no.

Perhaps we should ask Sega, can your GG do 3D basic wireframe or flat unshaded polygons like GB did?  Can your GG do little FMV clips like GB could?  Hmm... I'll take more ability over more whooooa color.

• Like 1

Ahhh gotcha, forgot about Faceball.  When I made that snappy comment I was directly thinking of: Race Drivin (shaded polys and moves faster than 16bit console releases which is amusing), Days of Thunder and X (for the wire frame stuff.)  That really doesn't happen on GG.

As far as Aleste goes, yeah that's impressive, but Gameboy did something similar, and it's nauseatingly expensive (like Aleste) as it's a japan only shooter.  That game, ZAS:

• Like 1

Yeah no doubt, you got that right about FB2000.  It really makes the game pop, feels more like the other versions in a way, a little over its pay grade.  Shame how slow it is, I mean Race Drivin is doing more on screen but it has a better level of smoothness in movement, better strangely than the SNES and Genesis which is mindblowing for a no color 8bit handheld from the late 80s.

Currently I got this on Saturday, so I'm working on it using my GB Operator device on my computer just for fun.  I've been wanting to re-do this for a very very long time.  Haters hate, but the game is intact and lot of fun, just none of the FMV and most the vocals(singing) clearly are gone again both to lack of mass storage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I still hate that ad, hated it then, still do now.   Originally just being pro-Nintendo and another reason, the another still stands... they used deceit and misdirection, Sega marketing of the 90s based their house of cards on lies and manipulation to sell product because they largely knew they had lacking hardware and if not that alone, lacking games.  GB was no color, but the games were far better, battery life was insane compared, easier to pocket, etc... so they just stuck to color.  But were they smart about it being uplifting?  No, they called Gameboy users slow witted fat retards basically that needed to be beat with vermin to get what you could from a game gear.  Right in line with them calling the SNES slow, trashy, and unworthy by having Mario Kart putter along against Sonic which are not even the same genre, but not even the same perspective, and laughably showcasing Mode7 which Sega couldn't do. :D  Sega's rotten ads put me off every paying them for shit until around 1997 when I was in college as I refused to fund deceits.  Id' buy stuff second hand off friends, use things at other places/homes, but pay Sega... hell no.

I totally agree, and yet I was a SEGA gamer at the time. To be fair, SEGA ads in France were better; their marketing team even came up with an awesome catchphrase ("SEGA, c'est plus fort que toi" which means both "SEGA is stronger than you" and "you can't resist to SEGA") but even at the time, and even though I really didn't enjoy "Nintendo-like" games as much (I preferred arcade-style games in which you respawned where you died), I was aware Nintendo systems offered many more games of better quality overall. But I precisely loved SEGA for being an outsider, because I was already aware as a kid that third party publishers favored Nintendo. So ads that tried to dismiss Nintendo games as slow or for kids annoyed me, because I knew it was just bullshit, like when someone can't acknowledge someone else is better and come up with stupid insults.

• Like 1

I'm not sure, but since the Game Gear is based on the Master System it should be even more powerful than a GBC, but the Gameboy hardware stayed almost 15 years on the market, while the GG turned into a secondary product in it's first few years.

But that's not what I want to talk about, here's an FPGA Game Boy Color that's not the one you know:

The price is going to be around 50/60 U$, it's going to cost way less than the idea I had, unless that Chinese company makes more GBBC products.

Also, @Tanooki, apparently there's a way to mod any SNES clone with a specific chipset to use that GB adapter, maybe it could work with a SupaBoy, could also add a multiplayer port to it, but the shell isn't big enough.

• Like 1

@roots.genoa I remember seeing pieces in later years when the net took off towards the end of the 90s.  The US just had hired the most despicable rotten cretins to run their marketing campaign and decided slander, libel, basically fraud was needed to sell product while being as rude and obnoxious as possible at the same time.  It not only was a turn off, it put me off giving Sega money at all, console, handheld, even coin-op for a number of years.  It's rare a product puts me into that mood, but when it does sometimes it's years, sometimes it's for good.  I still don't like the taste of Pepsi, but more so, I larely just won't drink their crap for their decade long lie of their pepsi challenge who wants us to believe every plant they used were suckered into enjoying their chemical swill better.  I go to a place that serves their stuff, almost always, it's going to be an iced tea or water.  Like you said, you can have a preference, and you knew what Nintendo-like was and knew they had more variety, better product, but if it doesn't line up with your tastes you're fine with that.  But they played the immature pre-teen/teen/college age group well for suckers using the edge lord style campaign of lies and brutal behavior to win, when they could have taken the Nintendo road of just actually show the product, explains the product, maybe have some goofy stuff around it, but focus on the core strengths, not make up crap about the other guy to hide your own problems.

On 9/11/2023 at 9:54 PM, jgkspsx said:

Is this your brother?

AH YES i remember that ad.. i used to make fun of my brother saying he was like that.. eventually we got a game gear in like 1996.. he hated it because it plowed through batteries like whoa..

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

The demo is fine; some aspects of the gameplay could be tightened up but it's OK. I'm still cautiously optimistic about it though, because the developers are quite inexperienced and releasing a Castlevania clone is not as easy as people would think. Making it an official Dracula game is amusing in a full circle way but, in the end, it's just Bram Stoker's descendant keeping on making money off of his name. The game starts with two lines written by Stoker and then it's just Castlevania (except you start in the castle, logically).

Well given the other game they did was pretty solid, yet is also using Gameboy maker style tools, it means they have a strong basis on using a tool suite to do the heavy lifting while creating solid visuals and audio along with core gameplay design and mapping.  The tool will have a limit short of then coding on the side to massage it more like NES Maker does.

I for one am and am not surprised to see this, it's a popular genre, and Nintendo did it really REALLY well already years earlier (decades) with Metroid 2, minus the asinine oversight of not having the in game map.  That aside there's plenty of stops, goes, dead ends, bosses, mini bosses, power ups, etc.  All the core background of what a Metroid3/Symphony clone would get, so yeah, it's early, but it needs time to see how it ends up.  I don't like paying up on after market games to that level, but damn that is quite tempting if it ends up coming to a solid well done end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm not sure there's a map here either, actually. Anyway, I was tempted as well, but Incube8 Games cost quite a lot for me, especially since they come from Canada.

Uhh it has one, it's even captured in the videos thumbnail.  Not sure how detailed or helpful it would be in use, but it's something.