IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Don't do emulation on my MacBook; prefer real hardware. Didn't have this cart, but I just this minute purchased one on eBay, so it's on the way. I don't normally buy TI cartridges that aren't complete in box, but I really want to join this competition so I bit the bullet and got a loose cart cheap, especially since the only CIB copy was $50.

I used to be pretty good at this game (at least on the Atari 2600), so I'll have to see how I well I do on the TI port. I'll post a high score pic if I get close (unlikely).

A lot of strategies from the 2600 version do not work on the TI version, so you have to pretty much forget anything you know about Centipede on the 2600. One particularly annoying thing is that the damned spiders appear a LOT more frequently.

Guess it's even less likely that I'll be hitting anywhere near a high score on the TI version. But that's okay...I still enjoy playing the game. Thanks for the heads-up, OLD CS1. :-)

• Like 1

Guess it's even less likely that I'll be hitting anywhere near a high score on the TI version. But that's okay...I still enjoy playing the game. Thanks for the heads-up, OLD CS1. :-)

You eventually get into the TI groove. I played for about an hour the other night and my score got progressively better. I still have not come near the current high score, but this month I just might be a contender (finally.) I am already thinking ahead to what game I want to challenge and what crap I have to slough special reward I have to send out.

A lot of strategies from the 2600 version do not work on the TI version, so you have to pretty much forget anything you know about Centipede on the 2600. One particularly annoying thing is that the damned spiders appear a LOT more frequently.

Actually I'm used to a lot of spiders (2 or more at a time) coming at me from my sessions playing Millipede on the Atari 2600. I agree that they are VERY annoying, and they're usually the thing that kills my "elf" more than anything else.

What will trip me up will probably be the awful TI "remote control" joysticks. I don't have an Atari joystick adapter, so it'll be interesting to see how high I can get using them. Uggghhh.

• Like 1

I grew up in the Air Force. I was so excited to turn 10 because you got your ID card and you could officially be left on your own. Right before I turned 10 the age was raised to 12 for staying on your own. I got my ID card but still needed a baby sitter.

These high score compos are rather reminiscent for me heheheheheh

• Like 1