IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

I really like games with demos. I tend to leave them running as background stimulation while I do other things or to watch game mechanics. TI Invaders, Munch Man, and Car Wars are part of a handful of TI console games with real demos which I enjoy just letting run, especially since in the case of the two former they will set the high score based upon demo scores.

I also like to see how high the demo can get its score. Last night I decided to leave TI Invaders running over-night to see how high its demo high score would go. I am disappointed to find that after 12 hours its high score is only 1003.

TI Invaders demo high score after 12 hours

• Like 4

That would be less helpful, because we still have to search for the past games. If we had threads with their own title, we could more easily find them. It would suffice if the current gaming thread would be pinned.

Well, nobody said that a past game could not be up for grabs one more time. I think your scheme could very well have us searching even more (not one thread but multiple threads with no naming conventions yet suggested).

One could make a list of past games in post #1.

With your scheme there would be confusion about what to post in one or the other pinned thread. Eg. the price, suggestions for next game and the winner.

Well, but could it really help to see the current month's game in the title? Wouldn't I just find it in one of the most recent posts?

The scheme I'd propose would be "High Score Competition <month> <year>: <title>", tagged with "Competition". When you search the forum for "Competition", this should give us a nice list of past competitions.

It took me 15 minutes to browse through the complete competition thread with 40 pages to find out what games we already had. It's OK to pick a game a second time, but better on purpose, not by accident.

Edited by mizapf

Well, but could it really help to see the current month's game in the title?

I hope so.

Wouldn't I just find it in one of the most recent posts?

You could. And nothing prevents you from continuing to find the current game be looking in the most recent posts (or threads as it would be).

The scheme I'd propose would be "High Score Competition <month> <year>: <title>", tagged with "Competition". When you search the forum for "Competition", this should give us a nice list of past competitions.

There has been other threads with the word "competition" and nothing prevents future unrelated threads with that word. "High Score Competition" seems like a better choice.

It took me 15 minutes to browse through the complete competition thread with 40 pages to find out what games we already had. It's OK to pick a game a second time, but better on purpose, not by accident.

Okay. Would you then suggest that we open new threads for all the old games ?

Edited by sometimes99er

What about updating the original first thread with a link to the current game thread? Then we get an index of all past games starting from now and if someone wants to go through and do that for all already past games then all the better. And by "do that" I mean just add links in the original first topic to what ever page the next finished game from the past is on.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

What about updating the original first thread with a link to the current game thread? Then we get an index of all past games starting from now and if someone wants to go through and do that for all already past games then all the better. And by "do that" I mean just add links in the original first topic to what ever page the next finished game from the past is on.

There's already a list there, but it's missing a lot. I would move it to the top, and reverse the order. And link to posts (and threads).

• Like 1

... it extracts the points and there is a way to publish it in a high-score list to a central website or list for every month?) Sorted with the highest number and possibility for someone to enter his name?

Nice idea about some sort of database.

The photo or screenshot is perhaps a way to make sure that one does not accidentally record a score of eg. 111190 instead of 11190. Se 1) in post #1 in this thread.

;)

Phew. ;)

This has unfortunately become a bit confusing. And it seems silly to start a poll on how to continue. It used to be one thread and now it's multithreaded. I'm not saying it's bad, but some level of double-posting could be ... Who won, is the topic pinned or unpinned, should the topic be closed, where do you discuss the game, and where does the scores have to go ...

One standpoint is that it's all very easy. No sweat. Let the good vibes roll. - The other is ... I'll take this discussion off site. ;)

Edited by sometimes99er

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, we should go back to this forum...

Glad to see this thread going back in business. I suck compared to you guys at games, but I still enjoy watching you guys go at it. Having everything in one pinned thread sure made life easier.

BTW - Where in the heck is Opry99er who started this thread? It appears he's been AWOL since early September of last year.

Glad to see this thread going back in business. I suck compared to you guys at games, but I still enjoy watching you guys go at it. Having everything in one pinned thread sure made life easier.

BTW - Where in the heck is Opry99er who started this thread? It appears he's been AWOL since early September of last year.

Last I heard his TI died and he was a bit depressed about it and kinda lost interest :(

Last I heard his TI died and he was a bit depressed about it and kinda lost interest icon_sad.gif

At the risk of sounding nosy, would have to be more than that. There are enough of us here who would gladly send him equipment that it is highly impossible for a dead TI to be the end of the world. Thus stipulated, I hope things get better for him and he makes his way back.

• Like 1