IGNORED

Should I buy a Jaguar CD?

retrogamer73

Hey, guys you all know that the one insulting another first is always right!

That is why you need to as fast as possible insult someone else, "to fill your jacket" with Arnold upper body.

If any of you have a stick in a hole to pull or not, is hard for me to tell. I can't see you.

Oh it's a saying... = The rest is, yes, good or bad arguments, and/or opinions.

I think that anyone that asks, just needs that little gentle push to buy. I haven't seen, including me, anyone saying: oh, shit, I might pass this one since you said that!

Carry on, brave Atari solders.

If you're a collector who simply has to catch 'em all, then there's no question, you'll buy a Jaguar CD, something like a skunkboard isn't going to be all that well suited.

If you're into things that are going on now with the Jaguar, both offer advantages and disadvantages. Skunkboard let's you try a lot of games out, but JagCD lets you buy and collect some as well as burning your own.

With skunkboards difficult to obtain right now, if Jaguar is the main thing you're in to, a Jaguar CD for around $200 isn't a bad idea as you'll always get the bulk of that back if you get bored with it (or maybe more the way things seem to be going).

Personally I like to see more people using Jaguars to do more things, especially more than just shelving as trophies and boxes ticked. The last few years have been busy days for new developments and the more people able to experience them, along with whatever old beta / unfinished / unreleased stuff they can uncover, the better.

If any of you have a stick in a hole to pull or not, is hard for me to tell. I can't see you.

So what you're saying is you require photographic evidence, amirite? :lolblue:

• Like 3

With skunkboards difficult to obtain right now, if Jaguar is the main thing you're in to, a Jaguar CD for around $200 isn't a bad idea as you'll always get the bulk of that back if you get bored with it (or maybe more the way things seem to be going).

Are they? I thought the SillyVenture edition was still available for $150 or so.

Sorry, I'm not massively up on these things these days. That might well be the better option for the non-collector.

Apparently neither am I. I checked the thread and as of August it seems the guy isn't responding to requests any longer. My guess is they are sold out for the time being. Oh well. Glad I got my Skunk when I did then.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230666-skunkboard-sillyventure-edition-how-to-buy/page-1

• Like 1

I hope you weren't stupid enough to spend $150 on it like the rest of us who spend that on a Jag cd. At least I don't need a pc everytime I want to load a new game.

Edited by Gunstar

Thanks to all for the suggestions with my RR CD. I will definitely revisit the idea of being able to play it. I still think my JagCD needs some attention though; while it fires up other CDs with no issues 99% of the time, once in a while the laser mechanism will just attempt to move a tiny bit when it is fired up and then stop, as though it is stuck somehow (position is towards the center), but so far, after a few on/off resets it always seems to correct itself and work just fine (with everything but RR).

I'm on the fence about a recommend if your an atari jaguar collector it is cool and the most of the. 9 or so Gamez are on the cheaper end of the spectrum....but at 300+ and basically every other syst out you can get in that price range with much better games.

On the other hand if you got friends into gaming it's cool...ffew 2 player Gamez other than primal rage.

why is everyone who thinks the jag cd isn't worth it say it's because of its small commetcial library when the vast majority of homebrews can be played on it? I have more than 50 games to play on mine. And the skunkboard is "all that" and there are only a few homebrews and hacks that require more than 2MB of ram? Just because cart roms and cart rom betas can be used? It sucks for that when you can't even save your progress on those rom games. and all the trouble of using a pc to change rom images? I like the skunkboard, but until someone actually offers drivers and what not to use it for more than om images it's not "all that" as far as I am conconcerned. the PSX "emulator" shows a glimpse of the possibilities, but besides that what is there? I see two products that have huge possibilities in both, but neither has been used to their full potential and until that changes neither is better than the other. and both fall short for the price you pay.

• Like 1

why is everyone who thinks the jag cd isn't worth it say it's because of its small commetcial library when the vast majority of homebrews can be played on it?

Because the vast majority of homebrews can be played via a Skunkboard. That, or, some of them are available on cart to purchase. Also, when you consider the vast majority of the "official" games, 80% are redundant (i.e., better versions can be had on other platforms).

I like Commetcial games too, btw.

If you are super hardcore about homebrew and you can't find a Skunk, then the Jaguar CD add-on is fine. For any other uses, it's, well, nearly useless, at least for the price it costs. I mean, sure, if you've got the money and can't care to lose it, then fine. Buy the add-on. For the rest of us that can't spend $100 a night on the town (assuming many on this forum), then no, it's not worth the price of purchase.. unless you like hanging out with people. Then, maybe the $100 on the town is worth it.

There are *far* better systems to be had for the same price (or less) if you're just looking to play "official" games. Just my opinion, and that's it.

• Like 2

Because the vast majority of homebrews can be played via a Skunkboard. That, or, some of them are available on cart to purchase. Also, when you consider the vast majority of the "official" games, 80% are redundant (i.e., better versions can be had on other platforms).

I like Commetcial games too, btw.b

If you are super hardcore about homebrew and you can't find a Skunk, then the Jaguar CD add-on is fine. For any other uses, it's, well, nearly useless, at least for the price it costs. I mean, sure, if you've got the money and can't care to lose it, then fine. Buy the add-on. For the rest of us that can't spend $100 a night on the town (assuming many on this forum), then no, it's not worth the price of purchase.. unless you like hanging out with people. Then, maybe the $100 on the town is worth it.

There are *far* better systems to be had for the same price (or less) if you're just looking to play "official" games. Just my opinion, and that's it.

Once again the fact that both the skunkboard and Jag cd cost about the sam is ignored or overlooked. MY ENTIRE POINT.

why is everyone who thinks the jag cd isn't worth it say it's because of its small commetcial library when the vast majority of homebrews can be played on it? I have more than 50 games to play on mine. And the skunkboard is "all that" and there are only a few homebrews and hacks that require more than 2MB of ram? Just because cart roms and cart rom betas can be used?

Because the skunkboard loads them 100% of the time 100% first time, without any violence or obscene language involved.

• Like 1

Because the skunkboard loads them 100% of the time 100% first time, without any violence or obscene language involved.

I am glad it works 100% of the time for you just like I am glad I my Jag cd loads the first time 90% of the time which is true of my skunkboard too. Not 100%. And of course, once again, the hassle of needing a 100% functionng PC to do it is overlooked or ignored in your argument. Or do you mean once you go through the hassle of getting a game or two loaded onto the skunk, then the skunk loads on the Jag 100%? For me its as cosistant as any cart, which isn't 100% either...but close... Edited by Gunstar

I currently own a Jag cd, panasonic 3do, segacd, dreamcast and xbox 360 and I have about the same % of issues with discs sometimes not loading on everyone of them. which I chaulk up to the age of the machines. All loaded games the first time, virtually, when they were new. I also own a psx, ps2 and xbox, non of which currently work. they wont load anything any more.I didnt include them at first because they are in storage and not with me now.

Edited by Gunstar

my Jag cd loads the first time 90% of the time which is true of my skunkboard too. Not 100%. And of course, once again, the hassle of needing a 100% functionng PC to do it is overlooked or ignored in your argument. Or do you mean once you go through the hassle of getting a game or two loaded onto the skunk, then the skunk loads on the Jag 100%? For me its as cosistant as any cart, which isn't 100% either...but close...

If your skunk only works 90% of the time for uploads then you're doing something wrong.

As for the problem of needing a PC, well my laptop is sat right next to my Jag. That problem doesn't exist.

• Like 1

I am currently awaiting my boxed Jaguar CD, very well kept... The potential for homebrew games (if they're good) as well as some fun looking games made me want to buy it... But an American Jaguar will work on a PAL Jaguar, right?

I think it will as long as you have the proper power pack.The American Jag cd power pack wont work for you...you did know its uses its own, right? Jag+Jagcd=x2 power packs.

If you're going to get one, now's the time. They're becoming more expensive every year and they have durability issues, so I'd expect the number of operational models to dwindle with time.

Plenty of threads here on this. The durability stuff is largely BS. The only parts in the Jag CD that could possibly wear out weren't even made by Atari, they use a laser mech that was used in other CD players as well. However, the cheap plastic is indeed Atari's doing.

In 20 years I have owned 2 jag cd units. The first for 9 years and used it daily for games and music. I sold it still in perfect working order. The second for 10 years so far, bought used (traded for it actually) and it still works fine today and use it on nearly a daily basis too. In that same 20 years I have worn out 3 PS1'S, 2 PS2'S, 2 Xboxes, 2 Segacd's, 1 Saturn, 2 3DO's and one 360. And none were nearly used as much as my Jag cd. So yeah, Jag cd's last if taken care of properly(as I do with all my systems). I wish those other systems had been as reliable as my Jag cd.

Edited by Gunstar