IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2015 Championship

DZ-Jay

Finally some play time this year :)

And a starter score to throw into the ring:

post-26050-0-57504400-1450381297_thumb.gif

Hopefully my 2 sons will get some scores in soon too :D

We are also totally confused how the new leaderboard works :) but I guess I will see where my score lands on it haha

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

• Like 2

Here is what I do on Candy Cove:

Go left

Go to upper right area collect all candy and presents.

Go to upper left area - pick up all but a few candy in the spot right before entering upper left area. Once in upper left clear out all candy and presents.

Move down to the lower half of the screen, picking up the last couple of candies on the way out.

This part I make up depending on how the snowman / ghost move. It is very much as Pimp has in his video, he just picks up a few more candies before clearing the two top rooms, where I do that after.

I don't have a youtube account, but perhaps there are other sites to post to?

youtube account is free. If you have a google account you just sign in with that.

Finally some play time this year :)

And a starter score to throw into the ring:

attachicon.gifshot0003.gif

Hopefully my 2 sons will get some scores in soon too :D

We are also totally confused how the new leaderboard works :) but I guess I will see where my score lands on it haha

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Welcome back stupus!

I am so sorry about the leaderboard confusion. It's not too hard, really. Let me see if I can explain it better. There are three new rules:

First, there are two "tracks": rookies and veterans. "Veterans" are those players who have participated before with a score of 2,000 points or more. "Rookies" are everyone else. Based on this, Canonitis would be a "veteran," Milinea and you would be "Rookies."

Second, there is a special rule that says that a "veteran" must get a higher score than before in order to qualify for prices.

Thirdly, anybody who has won an award in the past, is not qualified to win the same award again. That means that if you won, say, "Top Helper Elf" in the past, you cannot win it again. This is to give a chance to new players.

On to the leaderboard...

The leaderboard is arranged like this:

• At the very top of the list is the "Top Ranking Elf," just like before. The Grand Prize winner. This is the guy with the highest points. It can be a "rookie" or a "veteran." The top prize is open to everyone (except whoever won it before, as per the third new rule).
  • Then follow the "Rank" winners. For each rank we have three places:
    • Top Elite Elf - This is the rookie with the highest points on this rank. It's the same as before, except only for rookies.
    • Runners Up - These are the following five rookies with the highest points on this rank. It's the same as before, except only for rookies.
    • Top Knight Elf - This is the veteran with the highest points on this rank. This is new, and separates the rookies from the veterans. It gives more chances to rookies, with the intention that they become veterans next year. ;)
  • After all "Rank" winners, we have "Santa's Helpers." These are all the rest of the rookies. It's the same as before, except only for rookies.
  • After that are the "Elite Knight Elves." This is where all the rest of the veterans go. This includes veterans who may have gotten a really high score in a rank, but were not qualified to earn it because: a.) they didn't surpass their previous score; or b.) they already won that award in the past.
  • Lastly, there's the "Special Mentioned Spectators." Just like in the past, this is the place to showcase the judges, their families, past winners, and anybody else who is not qualified to win any prizes, but still likes to show off their score.

I really apologize for the confusion. The main intent was to separate rookies from veterans so that veterans rookies do not feel intimidated playing against really good players; and also to elevate all those people who have played really well in the past. Being nominated an "Elite Knight Elf" by Santa Claus is a very high honour indeed. :)

I hope this helps. Please, feel free to ask me any questions, post any concerns, or provide any feedback.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info on the new leader board rules dz!

It's starting to make sense now to us confused elves :)

So if I understand correctly veterans can't win any of the patch awards aka the runners up levels on any rank, correct?

Only the top level they have not won before or a top knight if they have won that rank previously?

Thanks and looking forward to more playing as I just FINALLY got my 2012 version upci running correctly! :D

• Like 1

I need to stop using the stinking arrow keys. Yikes...

yes the controllers are better. Last year i played with an nes advantage and made master last year but only did that in one game. This year i have been using an intellivision controller. I like it better. Last week i thought i would give the ole nes advantage a whirl for the heck of it and couldnt get past the 3,000's playing 3 games with it so i went back to the intellivision controller and enjoy using it.
  • Like 1

Looks like this elf benefits from finally playing with a real controller and no more keyboard! :D haha

shot0017.gif

got a bunch of perfects to add too shortly :)

the stickler + sears controller + UPCI = awesome!

if you update the upci with latest firmware you can use the sears controller in the auto sense mode. Also makes the coleco controllers, coleco rollerball, coleco steering wheel, intellivision flashback, coleco flashback, ti-99, commodore 64, atari, 2600, atari 7800, sega master system and genesis controllers work in auto sense mode. I had to manually choose to delete firmware and then install new firmware for it to work for me. Edited by pimpmaul69

if you update the upci with latest firmware you can use the sears controller in the auto sense mode. Also makes the coleco controllers, intellivision flashback, coleco flashback and genesis controllers work in auto sense mode.

Yeah its awesome they have made so many updates that it basically works with all db9 controllers now :)

I just don't feel comfortable doing the soldering myself....probably not that hard, but my luck I would f it up.

Maybe I will send it to David next year to have him do it...

Until today I have never even been able to use the upci even though I've had it like 4 years :P

I still can't get it to work right with the provided hack file...I tried messing with that forever to no avail.

I finally just made a profile for the inty contoller in joypadder and mapped the entire controller to the default keyboard keys in jzintv and now it works wonderfully...finally :) and I just don't use a hackfile

I don't think the 2012 model even had autosense mode.

I wonder though what would happen if I just plugged a colecovision controller in though and mapped it in joypadder???

• Like 1

Yeah its awesome they have made so many updates that it basically works with all db9 controllers now :)

I just don't feel comfortable doing the soldering myself....probably not that hard, but my luck I would f it up.

Maybe I will send it to David next year to have him do it...

Until today I have never even been able to use the upci even though I've had it like 4 years :P

I still can't get it to work right with the provided hack file...I tried messing with that forever to no avail.

I finally just made a profile for the inty contoller in joypadder and mapped the entire controller to the default keyboard keys in jzintv and now it works wonderfully...finally :) and I just don't use a hackfile

I don't think the 2012 model even had autosense mode.

I wonder though what would happen if I just plugged a colecovision controller in though and mapped it in joypadder???

2012 model just had less stuff in auto sense mode from new firmware. I too can solder for you and update if you like. Dont do anything until after the christmas carol competition. No i take that back. Ship it now so i have less competition! :grin: :grin:
  • Like 1

So close that it's almost painful.

attachicon.gifThrowawayScore3 12.16.15.png

Score - 1797

You'll get there. At least you saved Christmas once! Santa and the children of the world thank you for that. :)

Actually my goal is to get a half order of a christmas supreme with sour cream

That would truly be a sight! Go for it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A new personal best.. 2,479. Yes!!! :)

attachicon.gif20151217_112803.jpg

Congratulations! Now, can you save Christmas once more by December 25th? That would be awesome!! My favourite rank to be is "Ranger." That's my personal best (from back when I first released the game). I haven't managed to get there again since 2012, but this year I have a feeling... I will get there... I invite you to join me in my quest as well. ;)

im not sure which candy cove you are talking about. I do this in the first four candy coves. Then on ranger and up i do the same but only go for presents and grab whatever candies are in my way to the presents. I grab more candies in the bottom than the top cause i have a little more control at that point.

I meant the second of the two levels within the stage. I thought you may have had different patterns for each, but if the same one works for the first four, then that's cool. :thumbsup:

1581- Game froze up

Sorry again. Darn programmers. Should hang the lot of 'em!!! :mad:

I hope I can get to the 'kill screen' someday, that's pretty neat looking.

You can do it! It's only 64 levels. You have 37 to go! :grin:

The mystique is gone by now, but when it was still a secret, I heard some players had a conniption when they first saw it!! :lol: :rolling: :rolling:

P.S. stupus has just de-throned you as the Top Elite Helper Elf! :o What are you going to do about that?

Apollo's Bow today.

We actually did the practice board after level 11 proved to be too much.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Then it was time for some Shark Shark.

That's the spirit! Play together and have fun. Don't forget to bake some cookies and make some hot cocoa! :)

So if I understand correctly veterans can't win any of the patch awards aka the runners up levels on any rank, correct?

Only the top level they have not won before or a top knight if they have won that rank previously?

Yes, that is how it works this year. Personally, I did not know the patches were such a hot item!!! I mean, I knew there were some hard-core collectors trying to get them all, but I thought they were just the cheesiest of the prizes. To the the mug was much cooler.

Plus they are very sturdy and last long. For instance, my wife and I make ourselves one every year (she's an Honorary Elf in Santa's list), and we use them every day for coffee. They haven't stained or faded at all. They are much more than collector's items for a shelf. I include hot cocoa with the mugs because I expect people to drink it. :)

Anyway, I can bring back patches next year, but honestly I thought the veterans would appreciate different prizes this year. There are some surprises and challenges still in store, so keep an eye on this thread... :ponder:

I need to stop using the stinking arrow keys. Yikes...

Yes you do. I tell you, in spite of what some people have suggested in the past, playing with the original disc controller is the best way. Plus you can't beat that authentic retro-feel!!! :)

-dZ.

Alright! Third week is concluding and we're getting closer to the end... The competition is heating up, and I hear some growling and gnashing of teeth from some players as they move up and down through the ranks! :o

With only 13 days to go, you are just barely in time to start working on your 12 Days Of Christmas Carol, so better get cracking!

Christmas is approaching quickly and the Evil Snowman is planning his next caper. Some surprises and challenges coming up our way, so keep an eye on the prize. Also, make sure you aim to save Christmas before the Eve of Eves, for Santa will truly appreciate the help!

I've updated the official leaderboard and the ranks and stats on the first post. Go check yourselves out in lights and glory; you all deserve it! :)

-dZ.

Alright! Third week is concluding and we're getting closer to the end... The competition is heating up, and I hear some growling and gnashing of teeth from some players as they move up and down through the ranks! :o

With only 13 days to go, you are just barely in time to start working on your 12 Days Of Christmas Carol, so better get cracking!

Christmas is approaching quickly and the Evil Snowman is planning his next caper. Some surprises and challenges coming up our way, so keep an eye on the prize. Also, make sure you aim to save Christmas before the Eve of Eves, for Santa will truly appreciate the help!

I've updated the official leaderboard and the ranks and stats on the first post. Go check yourselves out in lights and glory; you all deserve it! :)

-dZ.

Wow... I am in last place in my class. :lol:

Is it better to be in first place in a lower class, I wonder. :D

• Like 1