IGNORED

Wilmunder's Star Raiders II released

Savetz

I'll attempt it if I can get AMAC to run on SDX hard disk..

If not, I may do it the hard way, but it may take a while...

The printout of the code listing says AMAC2, but I can't find it. I haven't looked yet, but it sure would be nice in AMAC2 is on one of those disks.

AMAC1 was originally protected, but is easily fixed with a sector editor. Hopefully AMAC2 is not protected, or uses the same (lame) protection as AMAC1.

• Like 1

When we saw that the source was in AMAC2 I looked everywhere online for AMAC2 but found that AMAC1 was what everyone seemed to have in their archives. And AMAC1 is listed as the last stable version. So while Star Raiders 2 is amazing, getting a copy of AMAC2 out there would be equally amazing.

• Like 1

I have had a look at both source comparing it to original program and they are not the same. many parts are the same, some have slight differences and others are very different.

wounder how work is going on contents of hard drive?

Spotted something interesting in source how ever.

Some names of solar systems and where they came from..

SOLNAM
DB $80+'S','ol' ;HERE
DB $80+'X' ;STARBASES
DB $80+'X'
DB $80+'X'
DB $80+'X'
DB $80+'G','idney' ;GIDNEY & CLOID
DB $80+'M','ongo' ;FLASH
DB $80+'G','azoo' ;FLINTSTONES
DB $80+'G','ort' ;DAY THE EARTH
DB $80+'A','yesha' ;SHE
DB $80+'T','omania' ;GREAT DICTATOR
DB $80+'G','onzo' ;MUPPETS
DB $80+'M','ote' ;NIVEN
DB $80+'B','ellus' ;WORLDS COLLIDE
DB $80+'K','andor' ;SUPERMAN
DB $80+'A','ltair' ;FORBIDDEN PLNT
DB $80+'V','ultan' ;FLASH GORDON
DB $80+'W','oola' ;TARZAN'S SON
DB $80+'L','aika' ;RUSS SPACE DOG
DB $80+'K','arza' ;MICRONAUT
DB $80+'I','skandar' ;STAR BLAZERS
DB $80+'K','ato' ;GRN HRNT SDKIK
DB $80+'K','hartoum' ;GDFTHR RCEHORS
DB $80+'B','agheera' ;JUNGLE BOOK
DB $80+'G','ammera' ;JAPANESE MNSTR
DB $80+'K','repysh' ;HORSE ASSASIN
DB $80+'T','hrintun' ;NIVEN
DB $80+'B','adenov' ;ROCKY/BULWINKL
DB $80+'M','urania' ;PHANTOM EMPIRE
DB $80+'S','ehlat' ;STAR TREK
DB $80+'T','rantor' ;FOUNDATION
DB $80+'L','othar' ;MANDRAKE MAGIC
DB $80+'M','ach' ;SPEED RACER
DB $80+'B','oskone' ;E. DOC SMITH
DB $80+'D','iscojon' ;FOR ME TO KNOW
DB $80+'S','tarbase' ;STARBASE n

Wounder what 2nd last one means? :P

James

• Like 5

Discojon. John Travolta, 'Saturday Night Fever' I would suspect. I don't recall for sure, but I think John Travolta even has a line in that movie "that's for me to know and you to find out" but that may be a line of his from another movie or show and just coincidence here.

Edited by Gunstar

It's really amazing that this game surfaced, I saw the post on that piss poor Lemon64 forum (don't go there man, full of antisocial scum and also racists,,,,oh and moderators who don't moderate)

I always wondered why what was released was called Star Raiders II because it didn't feel like a sequel (don't get me wrong though, the released game is one of my all time favourite 8 bit games on any system!)

• Like 2

It's really amazing that this game surfaced, I saw the post on that piss poor Lemon64 forum (don't go there man, full of antisocial scum and also racists,,,,oh and moderators who don't moderate)

Really? I post on there from time to time and never had a problem.

• 1 month later...

Really? I post on there from time to time and never had a problem.

I'm on there as well, not seen any racial stuff but there can be times when its a tad elitest and I do know of people who used to use it but stopped because of the way it was ran. I'm not in to the scene stuff these days, just the new demos and games created, when it gets political I clear off....Its all about the fun with me...

• 1 month later...

DB $80+'W','oola' ;TARZAN'S SON

Should be John Carter's Martian "dog". Be interesting if Edgar Rice Burroughs used that name again in Tarzan.

Soooo gotta know... anyone make Commander or Star Commander yet?

Edited by doctorclu

Should be John Carter's Martian "dog". Be interesting if Edgar Rice Burroughs used that name again in Tarzan.

Soooo gotta know... anyone make Commander or Star Commander yet?

Having read the Tarzan series multiple times, I don't recall Tarzan ever having a dog, let alone reusing the name Woola from the Mars series. ERB was pretty good at documenting his made up names.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Source is available, just replace the Atari 400/800 joystick routine with the 5200, then compile. :D

Of course, you also have to map the keypad for keyboard functions too. But the source is there.

That would be great but its beyond my abilities. Maybe someone who has the abilities will help us 5200 owners out.

Here is the source that was found from 1985 on floppies that Bob was able to get ahold of...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246591-wilmunders-star-raiders-ii-released/page-9?do=findComment&comment=3417105

January 10, 2016 From AJW

"I'm pretty good about keeping archives, heck, I kept the source for Star Raiders for 30 years, so I was pretty sure I had floppy backup for the Corvus drive. Before taking on the effort of typing in the source, I felt I should take the time to try to find these backups.

Yesterday I went deeper into the storage in my garage and found the tray where I kept my work floppies. In it there was a section labeled SRII and it looks like I have four sets of backups. The first three sets are dated 7-5, 8-2, and 11-5. I believe these are from 1984. The backup appears to require 3 floppies and are labeled 'D1: SRC', 'D3 *.WRK' & 'D3:SRC'

The fourth set is a bit of a mystery. labeled 4/4/85, this was 3 months after I joined Lucasfilm Games. I may have just decided to make another archive, but this is only a 2-disk set. I would probably start with this set and work backwards.

I also found my Corvus Boot disk if that may be of help and another floppy labeled 'SR Design Document'. I have a printout of the design doc, but having a digital copy would be a good place to start.

Since TheRedEye was able to read the original SRII disk, my suggestion would be to see if he and I can meet locally and try to read these as well.

--Aric"

• Like 4

@FJC: Does the SDX Corvus driver allow raw sector access? If it does, what about dumping it with SCOPY to a (large) file that resides on an APT partition? That way it may be examined and re created on another drive. The Corvus "partition" scheme is well documented. It can't be that difficult to create a tool to recover this.