IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

Awesome vid. But honestly guys, even as rookies or non-programmers aren´t you aware that porting a game is much more than simply recompiling code? Come on. Would you expect a NFL player to compete in a soccer world cup just because "it´s about balls and running"? Be reflected. Or why can´t you turn a Porsche into a Lambo in your own garage? It is so easy. Both have wheels and an engine. No offence intended, but really. You don´t have to be a programmer to qualify as a true lover of retro games, but one should look under the bonnet of the different machines to understand what is going on behind the screen. I find this knowledge as cool as the games themselves. It must drain CJ´s brain to answer these questions again and again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve-vx said:

Awesome vid. But honestly guys, even as rookies or non-programmers aren´t you aware that porting a game is much more than simply recompiling code? Come on. Would you expect a NFL player to compete in a soccer world cup just because "it´s about balls and running"? Be reflected. Or why can´t you turn a Porsche into a Lambo in your own garage? It is so easy. Both have wheels and an engine. No offence intended, but really. You don´t have to be a programmer to qualify as a true lover of retro games, but one should look under the bonnet of the different machines to understand what is going on behind the screen. I find this knowledge as cool as the games themselves. It must drain CJ´s brain to answer these questions again and again.

He wrote it up a few years ago although I’m guessing he has better means of doing things nowadays. http://reboot.untergrund.net/new-reboot/redirection.html

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, prog99 said:

He wrote it up a few years ago although I’m guessing he has better means of doing things nowadays. http://reboot.untergrund.net/new-reboot/redirection.html

Nope it's still the same hard slog. In fact with more complexity due to now simulating the mfp and a few other things 

I've just had more practice ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Nope it's still the same hard slog. In fact with more complexity due to now simulating the mfp and a few other things 

I've just had more practice ?

'Hard slog'  that could lead to a great 'your mom' joke.  Ha!  You have had tons of practice, and it is much appreciated!   Now I have a few days off, I should try out some of your conversions!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Since CyranoJ is from Australia, it means the Amiga version must live in the north hemisphere!

NovaCoder maybe?  Trying to remember if he did the Gauntlet port for the Amiga.  I don't think there are any Amiga coders that are doing any Jaguar work.  I mean in theory it should be about the samish to say port Genesis games over as well.  Though in the long run probably worthwhile to just make an emulator. 

On that note, would be cool to have an A8 emulator for the Jag... nit sure how well one would run, but probably not too terribly?

I would just be interested to know if the majority of the work is done by the Jags 68000 (as it would be in a real ST/Amiga/Megadrive etc) and then the other parts of the Jags hardware are repurposed used to emulate the custom chips that those other computers/consoles have? If that makes sense?

7 hours ago, catmando said:

I would just be interested to know if the majority of the work is done by the Jags 68000 (as it would be in a real ST/Amiga/Megadrive etc) and then the other parts of the Jags hardware are repurposed used to emulate the custom chips that those other computers/consoles have? If that makes sense?

If I say it is then we see more "oh look, cheap, quick, dirty 16 bit 68000 lame ports"

If I say it isn't then we see more "so why doesn't it look better and when is Gamecube emulation coming?"

The majority of the work is done by understanding both systems and making the correct compromises.

Just enjoy them.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

If I say it is then we see more "oh look, cheap, quick, dirty 16 bit 68000 lame ports"

If I say it isn't then we see more "so why doesn't it look better and when is Gamecube emulation coming?"

The majority of the work is done by understanding both systems and making the correct compromises.

Just enjoy them.

Heh.  I mean if I had to guess... generic stuff is handled by the 68k, graphics by the graphics bits and sound by the sound...

But the type of ports that would be interesting to see (and I am not asking anyone to step forward and do them) would be something like Virus or Elite where they are flat polygonal games on the ST, and on the Jag could use the gouraud shading stuff to make it fancier looking (I think Atari called it CRY or something?).  Anoyhow, the ports are awesome!

20 hours ago, prog99 said:

Since I like to mix beer with the more tedious parts of coding personally, just curious: @CyranoJ, at what point, if any, do you make a refrigerator run during this process?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spider-Dan said:

I noticed the 15 14 ST ports listed at the bottom of the first post that are marked as compatible with the GD.  Is that an exhaustive list?

That is to say, are all other ST ports NOT compatible with the GD (and therefore not worth searching the forums for)?

Binaries were locked to skunkboards prior to the release of the GD to prevent scumbag shitstain fuck knuckles (I'm being polite here) busting the scene wide open selling them on ebay and etsy.  Those ones on the front page are replacements for the skunk-locked binaries that will work on both GD and skunkboard.

I guess now they'll just sell pre-loaded SD cards.  Its a race to the bottom for some people.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Spider-Dan said:

I noticed the 15 14 ST ports listed at the bottom of the first post that are marked as compatible with the GD.  Is that an exhaustive list?

That is to say, are all other ST ports NOT compatible with the GD (and therefore not worth searching the forums for)?

I know of at least one ST port fixed for the GD that’s not on that list, so I guess the simple answer is no.

• 3 weeks later...