IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Now then who is Mr Lee? And what company does he work for?

Here we go!

EDIT: My own opinion? Mr. Lee is not a hardware guy, he's one of the RETRO cronies. There was no hardware guy, just a group of chancers hoping to bluff their way to and through the kickstarter, receive that payout and then go about trying to actually make something.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 13

if i'm allowed to make a joke... (sorry Al)

now we all can imagine the end from Star Wars: Episode 3 as the emperor finds Mike burned, without legs, he takes him to surgery and get his new black (jaguar shell) armor

Darth Mike: *heavy breathing* the console, how's the console...

Emperor: i'm afraid to say, the Coleco Chameleon is dead...

Darth Mike: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

vader.jpg

Edited by Cybermario
  • Like 8

This is why I have little confidence in "Coleco". Chris is supposed to be "the guy" for taking the "Coleco" brand to greatness. Even though the Flashback may have been released before his involvement, he's had many months to educate himself on it. When you had him on the first time he talked about how hot the brand was because of the "impressions" it's generated on social media. I already did a rant about how worthless "impressions" are. The "fauxtotype" (great name, Willie, you should register that!) generated millions more of those "impressions", but I bet RWB will just see that as "the brand is really taking off". The Flashback generated a ton of "impressions" but a lot were of the variety "damn, they f'd up the controllers!" -which is pretty hard to do considering how awful the standard Colecovision controllers are.

When I join a project, I learn as much as possible about the current project. I don't show up to meetings and say "that happened before I joined, so don't ask me". How many products does "Coleco" have in the wild right now? Two? Three? How hard would it have been for Chris to Google "Colecovision Flashback" or watch a few youtube videos to find out the story behind those "impressions"? Not very. If there was going to be a Flashback 2 or another Colecovision-inspired system, it is important to know how the previous product did beyond sell-thru numbers and "impressions". Why did it sell relatively poorly? Was it the price? Was it the game selection? Was it the build quality? Maybe the answer is in the quality of those "impressions". "Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it." Between that and "Does anyone know how to contact Mattel>", I get the "impression" that Chris isn't a detail kind of guy. The job he has requires being very detail-oriented.

True, but why waste time on a product that did not sell well to begin with to make changes? From what was learned, if a flashback 2 occurs that is when the issues of the past one would become relevant to address in the first one, but the key thing is going to be the price point. The system did not sell well at 40 dollars, imagine if they did design a fully backwards compatible controller (with all the decoding diodes on board like the original, and a more complex PCB board) that would have raised the price even higher. In the first interview with Mark Thomann before Chris came on board, the ColecoVisions podcast asked if we could be involved in helping with the design review of any new flashback system or MiniCades which at that time Mark agreed. I am sure Chris will lean on the community to get feedback on new projects. Drop him a line at colecotoys.com about your concerns? About contacting Mattel, he is just trying to get assistance with contacts. I have already looked up stuff for him and got him in contact with people already to try and do my part to help the brand along. And full disclaimer, I do not work for Coleco and have no financial gain from anything I do to help the Brand. I just do it for the fondness of the brand.

• Like 4

I saw this on the Retro magazine site. Curious as to what it is...

http://readretro.com/news/kennedy-rajna-konami-proof-of-discussions-seeking-opportunities/

It had to do with RVGS. You can see MK's (as "Parrothead") message here, including the password: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-196?do=findComment&comment=3399140

It was an EPIC hissy fit by Mike Kennedy, and contributed to that thread getting locked down. It's ancient history now, but it's still some juicy reading.

The funny thing is, it proved nothing, just that he had sent a few emails to industry people, as if name-dropping is the same as getting results.

• Like 5

I like the idea of starting a new thread, since this begins a new (and perhaps final) chapter in the lifecycle of this console. However, I want people who read this thread to be able to respond to it. After all, there are over 6,500 replies in this thread, and it would be aggravating to read a post and discover the topic is locked and you're unable to reply. Manually copying a quoted post from one thread to another is a pain.

I could start a new thread and let this one run in parallel for a while until it dies down, and encourage people to post in the new thread. But, then we have two parallel threads, which could be a bit confusing.

..Al

• Like 6

Congratulations to all the engineers, sleuths, influencers, and average joes and janes that made this victory possible! I'm glad to have met many new friends through this fiasco and I'm going to be digging around a bit more here to see what I can learn. I'm seriously tempted to try to make my own home brew some day, too. :-D

• Like 14

I would really like to hear Mr. Lee's side of the story, what it was like working with Kennedy, etc. One can only imagine...

Just imagine if the guy in that movie heard about the coleco chameleon and found mike... A day of fury was it?

Edited by leods

I like the idea of starting a new thread, since this begins a new (and perhaps final) chapter in the lifecycle of this console. However, I want people who read this thread to be able to respond to it. After all, there are over 6,500 replies in this thread, and it would be aggravating to read a post and discover the topic is locked and you're unable to reply. Manually copying a quoted post from one thread to another is a pain.

I could start a new thread and let this one run in parallel for a while until it dies down, and encourage people to post in the new thread. But, then we have two parallel threads, which could be a bit confusing.

..Al

Two threads? But only one F5 key...

What you should be doing is getting the new RVGS3 pay per view thread setup for the next round.

• Like 5

It was an EPIC hissy fit by Mike Kennedy, and contributed to that thread getting locked down. It's ancient history now, but it's still some juicy reading.

The funny thing is, it proved nothing, just that he had sent a few emails to industry people, as if name-dropping is the same as getting results.

Wow, why would he leak private communications like that? To brag? Doesn't he realize that every time he brags it just comes back to bite him in the ass?

Not that it matters now because his ass has been chewed to the point of non-existence.

• Like 3

..Al

Could just rename this thread and let it run it's course in the coming days or weeks.

• Like 4