IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I know i'm being drastic (and yes, I am aware of the pharmacological effects of castor oil)...

but this guy deserves a special place in hell, for what he's done.

-Thom

.... Yeah, see.... This is what I meant when I said we shouldn't demonize him. I'm all about cataloging his various offenses (To recap: lying, cheating, false advertising, stealing via misrepresentation, selling propert that wasn't his, being a smug asshole, etc.).but to sit around listing the various ways we think he should be punished takes us off-topic and dilutes the discussion. We're not here to hate Mike (which you're free to do on your own time) we're here to make it clear why the CC was a bad idea, and why ever doing business with Mike Kennedy again would be a bad idea.

Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, but I think AA owes it to ourselves to not lower the accomplishments of this thread by engaging in mud-slinging for its own sake.

• Like 8

.... Yeah, see.... This is what I meant when I said we shouldn't demonize him. I'm all about cataloging his various offenses (To recap: lying, cheating, false advertising, stealing via misrepresentation, selling propert that wasn't his, being a smug asshole, etc.).but to sit around listing the various ways we think he should be punished takes us off-topic and dilutes the discussion. We're not here to hate Mike (which you're free to do on your own time) we're here to make it clear why the CC was a bad idea, and why ever doing business with Mike Kennedy again would be a bad idea.

Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, but I think AA owes it to ourselves to not lower the accomplishments of this thread by engaging in mud-slinging for its own sake.

You can't really demonize someone when they have already demonized themselves.

• Like 4

.... Yeah, see.... This is what I meant when I said we shouldn't demonize him. I'm all about cataloging his various offenses (To recap: lying, cheating, false advertising, stealing via misrepresentation, selling propert that wasn't his, being a smug asshole, etc.).but to sit around listing the various ways we think he should be punished takes us off-topic and dilutes the discussion. We're not here to hate Mike (which you're free to do on your own time) we're here to make it clear why the CC was a bad idea, and why ever doing business with Mike Kennedy again would be a bad idea..

Well, there goes my idea about forcing him to watch Neverending Story II and III ...

• Like 1

No punishment is needed beyond the self-inflicted loss of reputation. Remember, HE is the ONLY person to lose ANYTHING :eyeroll

However...

If there was going to be some form of punishment in some alternate fantasy retroland, I suggest the following: Having to read this thread, in one sitting.

• Like 4

If there was going to be some form of punishment in some alternate fantasy retroland, I suggest the following: Having to read this thread, in one sitting.

I would prefer he had to actually come up with a working prototype of the Coleco Chameleon by himself.

No Mr. "power goes in, video comes out" Carlsen and no Mr. "snes-in-a-jag" Lee to help ... if that can be called help anyway.

Although I admit the snes-in-a-jag guy is crafty :-D and he had to keep a straight face with Piko after the fact .... anyway I digress.

phoenixdownita, on 26 Jun 2016 - 8:30 PM, said:

I would prefer he had to actually come up with a working prototype of the Coleco Chameleon by himself.

No Mr. "power goes in, video comes out" Carlsen and no Mr. "snes-in-a-jag" Lee to help ... if that can be called help anyway.

Although I admit the snes-in-a-jag guy is crafty :-D and he had to keep a straight face with Piko after the fact .... anyway I digress.

I know you're kidding, but I'm going to give a serious answer -- Mike Kennedy knows nothing about hardware. He's admitted that all along. Hence the need to 'pay' other people to make the prototype for him -- with all the problems and situations that caused. One can argue that if he had known even a LITTLE hardware he never would have thought this was a good idea!

Really, the only thing Mike brought to the table on this was the idea, some of the marketing, and a little money.....and you can debate how much of that he actually did. :ponder:

• Like 2

toiletunes, on 26 Jun 2016 - 8:13 PM, said:

No punishment is needed beyond the self-inflicted loss of reputation. Remember, HE is the ONLY person to lose ANYTHING :eyeroll

However...

:lol:

I do seriously wonder how long that would take.....my money is on eight hours if you're a fast reader. :P

• Like 1

Really, the only thing Mike brought to the table on this was the idea, some of the marketing, and a little money.....and you can debate how much of that he actually did. :ponder:

What idea? To make a retro console (NOAC, GOAC are proof of the fact it's not news), to use an FPGA (Mist, MCC 216, Chameleon64 ....), bring back cartridges (even some the Jakks pacific TV plug and plays have the "game key"), all of it already done.

What marketing? "Gimme 2M$ and look at the graph with pacman eating your money" ... please remember https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/(check "Use of funds")

Money? He did like I do for the lottery, I put some to buy a lottery ticket and hope to strike it big ... 2M$ LOL. They couldn't upfront the cost of a proto and that is all they should have done instead. Triple LOL. Wants to crowdfund/kickstart a gaming console HW company, ends up with a capture card :D

EDITED: copied pacman image here for clarity (and general amusement)

qomctz1pdchp5pp1bqze.png

• Like 4

What idea? To make a retro console (NOAC, GOAC are proof of the fact it's not news), to use an FPGA (Mist, MCC 216, Chameleon64 ....), bring back cartridges (even some the Jakks pacific TV plug and plays have the "game key"), all of it already done.

What marketing? "Gimme 2M$ and look at the graph with pacman eating your money" ... please remember https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/(check "Use of funds")

Money? He did like I do for the lottery, I put some to buy a lottery ticket and hope to strike it big ... 2M$ LOL. They couldn't upfront the cost of a proto and that is all they should have done instead. Triple LOL. Wants to crowdfund/kickstart a gaming console HW company, ends up with a capture card :D

He did pay some money out of his own pocket, if you recall...that's been proven, although later he would claim he got scammed out of it.

And really, I was trying to be generous here. Why do you think I said 'some marketing' as in useless FB posts full of bluff and smoke and mirrors, and a 'little money' in the terms of a few thousand? ;)

He did pay some money out of his own pocket, if you recall...that's been proven, although later he would claim he got scammed out of it.

And really, I was trying to be generous here. Why do you think I said 'some marketing' as in useless FB posts full of bluff and smoke and mirrors, and a 'little money' in the terms of a few thousand? ;)

...and this is why he won't be answering any more questions! Simple as that!

• Like 7

Why does this [still] make me so angry?

The remaining portion (the small gray piece) will be used to complete developing our design into a highly-polished, marketable consumer product. This pays for everything from building and testing prototypes through the international regulatory certification process, including:

• Stipends (including benefits, payroll tax, etc.)—only about half of normal wages, but enough to afford to do this full time (8-12% of minimum goal)
  • Creating prototype circuit assemblies—from where we are today through regulatory certification, including pre-release systems for developers of launch titles (5% of min. goal)
  • Outsourcing software development (5% of min. goal)
  • Testing and certifying regulatory compliance (4% of min. goal)
  • Renting space and equipment for a small office and lab (4% of min. goal)
  • Advertising (2% of min. goal)
  • All other operating expenses (1% of min. goal)

So ass-backwards! I know this has been discussed a thousand posts back, but it still beggars belief that anyone thought they'd be taken seriously with literally nothing to show up front. Assuming the "minimum funding goal" of $2 million:

Stipends: 8% would be $160,000, split three ways, that's $53,000 per partner for a year. 12% would be $80,000 per partner for a year.

Circuit assemblies: $100,000

Outsourcing software development: $100,000

Testing and certification: $80,000

Renting space and equipment: $80,000

Advertising: $40,000

Everything else: $10,000

bb12eb4f21b47b17d072cea84657123f.jpg

There's literally not a single line item there that I would trust to the jokers, least of all the $40K for "advertising" which Mike would have funneled back into his magazine "business."

Bringing a big state-of-the-art product like this to market is an expensive process, and we have already personally invested all the time and money we can.

SO ANGRY (still!)

• Like 9

We've already spent all the money we can, except for about $10k that I'll pay to Mr. Lee later on...

We've already invested all the time we can and have nothing to show for it, so you can totally trust us to be super productive and efficient once you fund us to the tune of $2 million.

I wish Mr. Woita or Mr. Lee would share with the class.

• Like 5

I've been getting my weekly Mike fix by checking up on RETRO's facebook page and holy shit is that a depressing sight, that thing is making its last swirl around the bowl.

I think he's grasping at straws. He's now apparently trying to make some money by selling off all of his old inventory in a discount bundle:

rvgs_062716.png

The FB banner tells you to go to their readretro.com website which hasn't been updated since October. All the while there's no mention of issue 12, which would at the very least complete his commitment to his Kickstarter backers. And when you go to the comments section of the Kickstarter page you get a taste of typical Mike customer service, plenty of people who are missing issues or never got anything. The last word from Mike there (aside from the "BUY RETRO REPLAY VOL. 1!!!" update) is a comment asking everyone to email him instead of commenting.

retro_comments.jpg

I remember he told us something like "please leave RETRO magazine out of this, don't let the Chameleon drama affect that." But his problem is that he fails to understand anyone on a personal level. People are just a pledge amount to him and nothing more. But I'm sure there's a lot of overlap between the die hard Chameleon supporters and RETRO subscribers. He doesn't get it that the old RETRO fans he's asking to buy Replay Vol. 1 are the exact same people he hung out to dry and deal with the embarrassment of having been a Chameleon supporter while he stayed in radio silence to dodge the heat. Why would you expect your biggest fans to give you more money after they were betrayed like that?

I'm sure I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've never seen someone recklessly self destruct like Mike Kennedy has.

• Like 14

I remember he told us something like "please leave RETRO magazine out of this, don't let the Chameleon drama affect that." But his problem is that he fails to understand anyone on a personal level. People are just a pledge amount to him and nothing more. But I'm sure there's a lot of overlap between the die hard Chameleon supporters and RETRO subscribers. He doesn't get it that the old RETRO fans he's asking to buy Replay Vol. 1 are the exact same people he hung out to dry and deal with the embarrassment of having been a Chameleon supporter while he stayed in radio silence to dodge the heat. Why would you expect your biggest fans to give you more money after they were betrayed like that?

I'm sure I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've never seen someone recklessly self destruct like Mike Kennedy has.

What Mike fails to grasp is that this isn't his decision to make. If someone opts to not support the magazine because it was created by the same hack as the console, that is their prerogative. I would even say that it's the most logical precaution they could make. If someone lies to you when trying to sell you a blender, there's no reason to suddenly trust them when they want to sell you a tennis racket.

Somehow, Mike got the idea that the narrative is his to control. That's why he's still dumb enough to say stuff like that.

• Like 10

There's literally not a single line item there that I would trust to the jokers, least of all the $40K for "advertising" which Mike would have funneled back into his magazine "business."

Didn't he blissfully admited that was his plan all along, tho'? How he wanted to turn RETRO Magazine into his own little "Coleco Chameleon Power" AND advertise it in there? ("I'm going to pay myself because I'm smart like that!")

• Like 4

Didn't he blissfully admited that was his plan all along, tho'? How he wanted to turn RETRO Magazine into his own little "Coleco Chameleon Power" AND advertise it in there? ("I'm going to pay myself because I'm smart like that!")

Yes, which makes it triply annoying to me, especially as a few "low information voters" served as cheerleaders for the project, on IGG, Facebook, and even in this thread.

• Like 3

You guys exaggerate so much... It was just 2mi dollars. Take it as a bonus. With the money they wouldn't just make a console, but create a company, save their magazine and the auction site. All for the same price. It would be great for the community. And when you realized what a useless piece of junk their console was, you could sell it on GG and not have to pay e-bay their expensive fees.

• Like 3

I know nothing about hardware but for sure I would not be showcasing a hidden piece of mystery stuff with hardwired SNES pads while having the dedicated controller unplugged on the table, if I wanted to be fair and serious... It is more than obvious they were trying to fool all the people. And there is no excuse for that, even if they were so desperate at that point!

• Like 2

I know nothing about hardware but for sure I would not be showcasing a hidden piece of mystery stuff with hardwired SNES pads while having the dedicated controller unplugged on the table, if I wanted to be fair and serious... It is more than obvious they were trying to fool all the people. And there is no excuse for that, even if they were so desperate at that point!

Not to mention you can build your own "Coleco Chamelon Prototype" for far less than the actual campaign goal.