IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Ok now I have to watch it.

You really, REALLY don't. It's not even a good bad film. Specially if you loved the first one.

If you didn't tho', guess its harmless. God knows there are worst things out there. *coughHouseoftheDeadcough*

You really, REALLY don't. It's not even a good bad film. Specially if you loved the first one.

Actually I didn't think the first movie was all that good. It was cute when I was a kid, but I watched it a few years ago and could barely get through it. The part with the freaky statues still creeps me out though.

• Like 1

I have to agree The Neverending Story has not aged well. I still like it, though, if only for nostalgia. Barret Oliver was one of my childhood favorite child-actors, along with Lukas Haas, and of course, Drew Barrymore.

• Like 1

I only ever saw The Neverending Story once in the theater. I probably would have watched it again, but some of my friends in the neighborhood graduated high school a couple of years after me, and for them that was the "filler" movie in high school. Every time there was a sub on short notice with no lesson plan or a teacher taking an easy day toward the end of the year, they would watch that movie. So they hated it, because it reminded them of school. When I was in high school, Footloose was the time killer movie.

You have to believe or the nothing will destroy the Ivory Tower along with the rest of Fantasia!

Oh I believe....that the Never Ending Story isn't a good movie.

Then again lots of 80's movies haven't aged well. It's not just the special effects, it's the acting too. Styles were different and what was considered cheesy and cliched was new and amazing back then.

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't realize my NeverEnding Story pic would create such a diversion! :lol:

I still happen to like the original NeverEnding Story movie (stay away from the sequels), and I don't see how it "doesn't hold up today." True, the creatures and effects aren't CGI, but that only makes them all the more impressive. It was a film clearly marketed to kids, but like other 80s "kid movies" (The Dark Crystal, Return to Oz, The Goonies, Krull, etc.), it has elements that are darker and scarier and more dangerous than you'll usually see in today's anodyne "family films," which try to play it safe by being innocuous and happy and fluffy. To the extent that I've seen any differences in the "acting style" of the 70s and 80s compared to today, I often find today's "style" to be snarky and stagey and annoying, and even less likely to age well as time goes by. I guess these are some of the reasons why I usually find older movies and TV shows to be more interesting.

But to relate this back to the topic ... I think Mike Kennedy is to Retroland what The Nothing was to Fantasia.

• Like 3

Every time there was a sub on short notice with no lesson plan or a teacher taking an easy day toward the end of the year, they would watch that movie.

Well, for me it was elementary school, but otherwise the same was true in my experience. However many times I've seen that movie, I think for the majority of them in was in school.

• Like 1

Well, for me it was elementary school, but otherwise the same was true in my experience. However many times I've seen that movie, I think for the majority of them in was in school.

When I was in grade 10 if the class was good all week we got to watch a movie of our choice on Fridays.

EDIT: This was in science class as well. Really cool teacher.

Edited by Shawn
  • Like 1

I started to wonder if this topic shouldn't belong to prototype forum since Coleco Cameleon is a prototype.

It never even got that far! Through all the iterations of the project, and despite all their marketing hype, Mike and Co. never actually succeeded in producing a single working prototype (unless you consider John Carlsen's "power goes in, video comes out" hack job or The Mysterious Mr. Lee's SNES-in-a-Jag-shell to be real prototypes, which I don't). That's quite remarkable in itself.

AtariAge doesn't have a "Vaporware" subforum, so this is probably the best place for it.

• Like 8

Con-Ware...

Seriously, if I ever run into MK, I'm going to dump a ton of castor oil into his coffee.

-Thom

No need to go fascist on him (castor oil is lethal in big doses btw, due to the ensuing dehydration).

You can just greet him:

"Remember when.

Play again"

and just laugh!!!

• Like 2