IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Looks like I might have been wrong. I expected more news on this to break, another confession, or someone showing us something we didn't know, or something like that. But everyone involved with this mess has gone totally silent, and one of the biggest threads in AA history looks like it's coming to a close. I think we can all learn a lot of lessons from this, and I hope in the end the result of this whole fiasco will help both AtariAge and gamers and collectors in general, as we shift through the wreckage to find and study the good parts of this (and there were some good parts in the end!)

• Like 5

I've said it was over a few times, and was wrong every time. Even if nothing new happens, there are unanswered (unanswerable?) questions, like:

-what the #$%$? is a Snez

-Will the magazine (the one with a full page ad) be worth keeping?

-Who did Mr. Lee REALLY work for?

-Why? Just- why??

-If the cartridges had rounded ends, how can you Corner the market?

• Like 5

Lol at Toilettunes.

Seriously, I tend to agree with the people who think Mike's personality will prevent him from disappearing forever. We may have to retire this thread if there's no new content for a long while, but he'll be back sometime.

Then again, I frequently see threads Necro'd after a decade, so maybe it's just the AA way to let nature take its course.

• Like 2

I know other people have said this, and I've alluded to this in the past posts, but I thought I'd make one last 'good' post (at least for the foreseeable future) here in this thread about the part that I feel the most sorry about. And that's Mike Kennedy himself.

I know what you're saying....how can I feel sorry for someone like this, who, even at the most favorable way that you can look a him, tried to scam us with something he knew wasn't as advertised (even if he got scammed himself in turn), and at worse....well, I don't need to say that. But here's the thing, at least at the start of this project, I think he had good intentions, and things seriously went off the rails as things progressed. It's like someone who tells one lie to cover something, and then has to invent another lie for that one, and then a story, and so on, until the whole thing is a house of cards that goes caving in as soon as someone starts poking at the foundation.

I don't pretend to know everything that is going on here or what has happened behind the scenes or has not come out in the public yet for one reason or another. I can only say what I 'knew' of Mike, and I thought Mike was a good guy. I'd been listening to him for years on RGR and other podcasts and even got to e-mail a few times and podcast with him once myself. He had good, insightful arguments, a geninue and heartfelt passion for classic gaming, and a love of the hobby. I'd often agree with him on the RGR episodes with the points he was trying to make, and even if I thought he was a bit too harsh and jaded on more modern gaming he was still fun to listen to.

Then things changes, as others have alluded to. This whole RetroVGS project was like a cancer. Once it got into him, once the idea was in his head, there was no getting it out. It ate away at him, consumed him, took him over. I almost want to use the example of a drug addict, but I'm not sure that's right. The point is once the idea was there he was addicted to it, and was willing to do anything to try to make it happen regardless of the warnings and roadblocks and other complications that might come out of it. And it's ruined him, in more then one way.

Maybe you can't feel sorry for him, and I can't say that I blame you. But I do, at least a little bit. Call me a softy, call me too kind, call me stupid. But it didn't need to turn out like this. And we should all be sad in the end that it did so, for everyone involved.

• Like 1

Maybe you can't feel sorry for him, and I can't say that I blame you. But I do, at least a little bit. Call me a softy, call me too kind, call me stupid. But it didn't need to turn out like this. And we should all be sad in the end that it did so, for everyone involved.

<sarcasm>

Do you feel "a little bit sorry" = 2M$ sorry for him?

If so I believe there's a way to help.

Call/eMail Mike, tell him you have the 2M$, that you are willing to give them to him no questions asked and bring back the RVGS/Coleco whatever.

</sarcasm>

• Like 1

Sorry SoulBlazer, all I feel is so much NOPE.

If someone has a dream, and a plan, but can't produce it himself, the way forward is NOT to just bluff your way into crowdfunding and hope everything works out. Being more open with the community and asking for help (not just money, duh) could have moved things forward.

He repeatedly and deliberately chose the bullshitters path. No one pushed him into it, it was his call at every turn. He had plenty of chances to pack it in but he only did so after being exposed as a liar and a fraud repeatedly. He called anyone with a different opinion a "hater," and he actively removed and blocked simple questions on his silly Facebook site.

It amazes me that he has the testicular fortitude to ask for any more money for his magazine. His explanations are like those of a narcissistic child, it's all me me me and I believe he honestly thinks he might have gotten further with his get rich quick scheme if only "the community" would have gone along with him.

In short, this is NOT how I feel about small-time bullshitter, full-patsy Mike Kennedy.

• Like 5

Just got another spam from Retro. Unsubscribed again. FTS.

"Still Time To Order

There is still time to order RETRO Replay, our 200-page "Best of" issue. The printing time has taken considerably longer than we anticipated due to the drying of the covers and the 200-page binding process. But, they are finishing up this week and will be worth the wait. RETRO Replay is mailing to all who pre-ordered, directly from our printer this Thursday, July 7th."

• Like 1

I know other people have said this, and I've alluded to this in the past posts, but I thought I'd make one last 'good' post (at least for the foreseeable future) here in this thread about the part that I feel the most sorry about. And that's Mike Kennedy himself.

I know what you're saying....how can I feel sorry for someone like this, who, even at the most favorable way that you can look a him, tried to scam us with something he knew wasn't as advertised (even if he got scammed himself in turn), and at worse....well, I don't need to say that. But here's the thing, at least at the start of this project, I think he had good intentions, and things seriously went off the rails as things progressed. It's like someone who tells one lie to cover something, and then has to invent another lie for that one, and then a story, and so on, until the whole thing is a house of cards that goes caving in as soon as someone starts poking at the foundation.

I don't pretend to know everything that is going on here or what has happened behind the scenes or has not come out in the public yet for one reason or another. I can only say what I 'knew' of Mike, and I thought Mike was a good guy. I'd been listening to him for years on RGR and other podcasts and even got to e-mail a few times and podcast with him once myself. He had good, insightful arguments, a geninue and heartfelt passion for classic gaming, and a love of the hobby. I'd often agree with him on the RGR episodes with the points he was trying to make, and even if I thought he was a bit too harsh and jaded on more modern gaming he was still fun to listen to.

Then things changes, as others have alluded to. This whole RetroVGS project was like a cancer. Once it got into him, once the idea was in his head, there was no getting it out. It ate away at him, consumed him, took him over. I almost want to use the example of a drug addict, but I'm not sure that's right. The point is once the idea was there he was addicted to it, and was willing to do anything to try to make it happen regardless of the warnings and roadblocks and other complications that might come out of it. And it's ruined him, in more then one way.

I understand your viewpoint, however, MK seems to have all of the signposts of a narcissist, which he ran right into the ground.

-Thom

• Like 1

There's more in that e-mail that Flo posted....which is both curious and interesting!

Here's the next part:

Discounted RETRO Back-Issue Bundle

We know many of you are still trying to find back issues of RETRO. Here is your chance to get all the available back issues for a discounted price. This bundle includes six RETRO Issues # 4, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11. All other issues are completely sold out. Just 100 of these bundles are available before these issues are all sold out too. Click HERE to order your Back-Issue Bundle.

Wait, what? When did Issue 11 ship? I didn't get anything! :sleep:

And there's more:

RETRO Issue #12 is also in process and will be a very special issue devoted to nothing but interviews of your favorite gaming pioneers from the USA, Japan and Europe, who helped to build and form the gaming industry as we know it today. No other video game magazine has created such a historical and informative issue and we can't wait for you to read it. Accompanying the interviews are special personal photos of our gaming heroes then and now. RETRO's Interview Issue can't be missed. Subscribe or renew your subscription here. And notice we now have an introductory 3-Issue subscription for $18.

Next, beginning with RETRO #13 you will notice a bit more attention focused on UK and European gaming history as we begin new partnerships overseas. This section of RETRO will be created by a great experienced European editorial team and will give RETRO readers all over the world a new appreciation for what the European gaming pioneers contributed to this great pastime.

And finally, RETRO will be expanding its retail distribution well above and beyond that of just Barnes & Noble and Hastings Entertainment stores. More information to follow, but let's just say that future RETRO issues will be found easily across the USA, Canada and Europe.

We want to wish all of you in the USA a happy and safe 4th of July spent with family and friends and hopefully a copy of RETRO magazine to relax with while playing your favorite retro games over this long weekend. KABOOM!

-Team RETRO

So despite the hits the team has taken, despite the fact they are broke, and despite the fact that no Kickstarter for Year 3 has launched (and I don't expect it to!) they are making plans for that?

Charlie Brown said it best: Stop the world....I want to get off!

wow, 3 issues for $18? more information to follow? sounds too good to be true!! id rather take 3 singles, a 5 and a ten and deposit it directly in a blender on the 'puree' settings. ya'll should block his email address, hell, block everything that comes from his domain, if its @shopreadretro.com or whatever, ahahah

Edited by shawnphase

Wait, what? When did Issue 11 ship? I didn't get anything!

It was the Zelda issue.

And I think Flojomojo pretty much hit the nail on the head. Mike has a mindset that it's okay to fake it till you make it. Which is a categorically incorrect attitude to have on KS. It would never have succeeded and Mike was perfectly fine with that because he holds no personal guilt so long as he was giving it his all, even if his all is complete incompetence.

• Like 6

When I read your post, I don't necessarily disagree...I even may have some small amount of sympathy for MK, but I think I feel more sympathy for the others involved than for Mike. And on a personal note, I wonder if my Wii Balance Board is worth any more or less since I bought it directly from Mike Kennedy some years ago, but I digress haha...And what comes into my head are movie quotes, for some reason. I picture MK being told "With Great Power comes Great Responsibility..." (Spiderman)

And when I think of the idea for a console consuming him, I just think Star Wars and hear Jay (of Jay and Silent Bob fame) saying "Power of The Dark Side!" (Mallrats)

• Like 1

Pipercub, on 03 Jul 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

I had made somewhat of a tradition of throwing RETRO in the trash and posting the pic, oh how I wish I had saved that issue and framed it.

I wouldn't be so hard on Soulblazer, if you re-read what he said none of it is really untrue.

Thanks, Scott....I've always loved your work on RGR and the other podcasts that you do also so I'm glad to see you keep plugging away at it despite all the shit that has gone down.

As for Issue 11 of RETRO, I SHOULD have gotten it via e-mail cause I took part of the Year 2 RETRO Kickstarter to get all 12 promised issues digitally. As it was, I had to get most of them from a download site someone here linked to, and never got Issue 11. Even though I'm not sure I'd read it, it's the principal of the thing...I PAID for that sucker. Gee, what a surprise that I didn't get anything.....:ponder:

• Like 2

post-9942-0-70738500-1467664245_thumb.png

Looks like the censorship squad is still at it. Thought it was pretty ballsy of them to ask about an Atari product in light of everything. So I posted a picture of a SNESjag and asked if anyone remembers that. BALEETED.

According to FB stats, censored comments outnumber kept comments 4:1. And most of their posts have no comments at all. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

• Like 7

attachicon.gifimage.png

Looks like the censorship squad is still at it. Thought it was pretty ballsy of them to ask about an Atari product in light of everything. So I posted a picture of a SNESjag and asked if anyone remembers that. BALEETED.

According to FB stats, censored comments outnumber kept comments 4:1. And most of their posts have no comments at all. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

I think I know what that is.

It's a Watchamacallit Chameleon :)

I always wanted to ask though.

The arcade games of the late '70 and '80 (stopped going to the Arcade late '80) had the joystick handled with the left hand and the buttons on the right hand, so why did the Atari joystick put the only button on the top left corner (relative the the UP direction) forcing the usage of the left hand for it hence the right for the stick?

There's one user here (forget who) who swears that reversing the button layout is a Japanese conspiracy. :-)

I'd guess it was because, unlike an arcade pad or an NES-style pad, the Atari controller was designed to be held in one hand and manipulated with the other. Since most people are righties, that meant the support hand was on the left. Which meant that the button was going to be on the left since that's where the only free thumb would be.

It makes sense that a double-handed controller would later be popularized that would keep both thumbs free.

• Like 3

There's one user here (forget who) who swears that reversing the button layout is a Japanese conspiracy. :-)

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, but it feels like it was started by Nintendo with Donkey Kong (remember the how-to book that suggested that you play with crossed arms so your right hand would drive the stick?) and perpetuated by them on the Game&Watch and Famicom/NES. It felt weird at first but over 30+ years I think I've adapted. ;-)

Here's a pseudoscientific theory that it's left/right brain at work. http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry%3FbId%3D7961739&publicUserId%3D5844801

• Like 1

Just got another spam from Retro. Unsubscribed again. FTS.

"Still Time To Order

There is still time to order RETRO Replay, our 200-page "Best of" issue. The printing time has taken considerably longer than we anticipated due to the drying of the covers and the 200-page binding process. But, they are finishing up this week and will be worth the wait. RETRO Replay is mailing to all who pre-ordered, directly from our printer this Thursday, July 7th."

I've got to be on my sixth or seventh attempt at unsubscribing.
  • Like 1

dj_convoy, on 05 Jul 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

I've got to be on my sixth or seventh attempt at unsubscribing.

I don't mind the e-mails cause I can laugh at them before flushing them into the trash. :-D

And if they can't even send me a PDF issue of a magazine that I paid for, why would they be able to manage a unsubscribe option?

• Like 6

I don't mind the e-mails cause I can laugh at them before flushing them into the trash. :-D

And if they can't even send me a PDF issue of a magazine that I paid for, why would they be able to manage a unsubscribe option?

Well, the postage rates for those e-mails is going up, simple as that! The absolute lowest estimate I can get to hit that "send" button is $10 each. Of course, I only asked for one estimate and everyone tells me that there's a better way, but they're just hating haters! Fact is, your PDF is going to be collectible, so get it now, it's cheap at twice the price!

• Like 8