IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

If you're thinking you've heard the "Homer" talk before, you're right. This thread is eating its own tail.

Kevtris brought it up first, here

I still take great issue with Mike blaming John for the failings of the RVGS- because I specifically said it was going to be way too damn expensive to produce, and that they needed to cut costs. Mike was adamant that nothing should or could be cut to save money. I think he was hoping volume was going to solve their cost overrun woes. John being the engineer, was going to implement what Mike wanted. Honestly the RGVS turned into the Homer. In fact, Mike asked me how much I would pay for one and I said something like $99 and he said "I was hoping it'd been a lot more".

PlaysWithWolves embellished the concept, here

Just go read the whole thing, it's too good to summarize.

• Like 5

Even if this console had been managed by more competent and experienced people, even if a prototype had come out, even if it had been on Kickstarter and gotten funded, even if they managed to get someone to make a unique game for it....it was still doomed to fail, due to lack of games available for it and targeting a niche market. I said this over a year ago when it first came to light and I still feel that way. Kevtris is doing the right approach now, I think, with his system idea.

• Like 1

If it was made it might have become a collectible, then 30 years later they could sell new in box versions at a premium after they were "found in a closet of a warehouse".

Nevermind that it would have more likely suffered the same fate as all those famiclone systems nobody bothers with. Basically, the problem with a half-assed approach is that anybody can do it.

If you're thinking you've heard the "Homer" talk before, you're right. This thread is eating its own tail.

Kevtris brought it up first, here

PlaysWithWolves embellished the concept, here

Just go read the whole thing, it's too good to summarize.

Ha!, now I remember reading the post from kevtris. I missed PlayWithWolves' post though.

The Chameleon clearly needs its own subforum so we can categorize things in topics :P

The only one who can add something new to this thread is 'Mr Lee'.

Even if this console had been managed by more competent and experienced people, even if a prototype had come out, even if it had been on Kickstarter and gotten funded, even if they managed to get someone to make a unique game for it....it was still doomed to fail, due to lack of games available for it and targeting a niche market. I said this over a year ago when it first came to light and I still feel that way. Kevtris is doing the right approach now, I think, with his system idea.

I think niche market is putting up VERY nicely. I think the main issue is that no one asked for what the VGS/Chamaleon was "supposed" to deliver. It was all based on the nostalgic belief that cartridges didn't have bugs. From a simple DESIGN perspective, the think was flawed and dead on the water. Sure, if someone have had any brains and go "Oh right, and it will also come with an usb port so you can download updates and keep your cartridge bug free and updated" well sure, FINE, that would've been less dumb.

But they didn't. So it was very dumb. And then it became a disaster.

Apparently MK made a positive spin press release about what we dropped the bomb on months ago, he is doing an all interview issue of RETRO mag. Clearly he has crapped on all available writers and can't get new ones. Wonder how many of those contacts for interviews came from the RetroGamingRoundup address book?

• Like 6

Oh wow, I can just imagine the softball questions he had his "staff" ask him...

"Mr. Kennedy, sir, how did you discover the fake prototype?"

"Well, I had no choice but to tear open that console, and confront the nefarious Mr. Lee! I knew the hopes and dreams of every gamer in Retroland were riding on my shoulders, so I grabbed my screwdriver and did what had to be done. And as I opened it up and looked in horror at that SNEZ board, a shot rang out , and I screamed 'LOOK OUT, MISTER OBAMA!' and pushed the president out of the way as my Atari shirt was shredded in a hail of bullets. All this will be shown in amazing detail in my special Coleco Retrospective compilation, which you can support on Kickstarter now..."

• Like 7

Oh wow, I can just imagine the softball questions he had his "staff" ask him...

"Mr. Kennedy, sir, how did you discover the fake prototype?"

"Well, I had no choice but to tear open that console, and confront the nefarious Mr. Lee! I knew the hopes and dreams of every gamer in Retroland were riding on my shoulders, so I grabbed my screwdriver and did what had to be done. And as I opened it up and looked in horror at that SNEZ board, a shot rang out , and I screamed 'LOOK OUT, MISTER OBAMA!' and pushed the president out of the way as my Atari shirt was shredded in a hail of bullets. All this will be shown in amazing detail in my special Coleco Retrospective compilation, which you can support on Kickstarter now..."

But, he never opened it, gave it back to Sean, and believed him.

I was left in a terrible spot at this point and I had a decision to make that evening at the hotel. Do I take this thing apart and see what was in it and quit the show or continue on with the show, demoing the games that were going to be on the system, and then address this issue with Sean when we got back from New York. Right or wrong, I continued on with Toy Fair...

When I returned back home, I met Sean again and gave him the “prototype” back and he was still swearing that despite the SNES “parts” he used, the games were still running on the SNES FPGA software that he had constructed in a few short months. Again, I believed him and we moved forward.