IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

He's more pissed about Sean scamming him than him being caught trying to scam us. Even if Sean is at fault (whatever, minor detail, IMO) Mike still has to answer for the whole fiasco. There's really very little I care to ask Sean specifically.

• Like 3

He's more pissed about Sean scamming him than him being caught trying to scam us. ....

Well, that's the difference between being on the receiving end of the scam and being on the controlling end.

At least he's got to try some of his own medicine ..... he can at last figure out why we are so pissed ... 1 whole Y of lies and deceits.

• Like 3

He's more pissed about Sean scamming him than him being caught trying to scam us. Even if Sean is at fault (whatever, minor detail, IMO) Mike still has to answer for the whole fiasco. There's really very little I care to ask Sean specifically.

We had many hours of conversation with Sean over the last few months, most of it pre-interview stuff as we looked deeper into the two remaining questions. The gist of how I would sum up Sean's role is that there was a shifting sand of pseudo specs, buzzwords, wild claims, fake courting and "in talks", departing, arriving and under the bus team members, on which no project manager or engineer could have possibly brought any project to fruition on. Sean was willing to give MK what he asked for all along and what was rejected by the various other hardware guys on the project, smoke and mirrors. When companies attend shows it is not uncommon to have a mockup, a few Xbox shells with PCs under the podium, but they aren't trying to claim they are the hardware in development back at the lab, nor are they asking for other people's money based on such a parlour trick. From what I have heard from multiple people, I firmly believe that Sean gave MK a mockup that MK asked for, which he promptly went out and told the world was actual hardware. And then posted the very pics Sean told him not to allow, any more than MS would want pics leaked of commodity PCs under the podium. Ask us how we know! Actually it was a Nintendo booth agent that tried to chase us out of Play Manchester after catching them with their pants down, but I digress. Much like Steve sawyer's story about how MK high jacked their mag was true, but damaged by Steve's stupid actions of threatening MK, I think Sean's history makes the story seem more complex than it is, I believe that MK asked for something anything to show and Sean did just that followed by MK telling the world it was something else.

• Like 10

Exactly. I don't question if Sean was involved or if he made the prototype, my question is if Mike knew about it ahead of time or if it was he who had the idea to make the deception in the first place. Literally every piece of information we have indicates that yes, Mike knew exactly what he was doing. That is what needs to be answered, Sean is a minor detail.

While we're at it, let's ask about all the BIg Talk Mike spewed about specs, when we now know he had nothing. Those lies were in play long, long before the toy fair.

• Like 4

Those printers were super reliable and worked on demand. No clogging, no mussing, no fussing.

I remember us noisy boys making these 4 meter long banners and playing Atari. We'd set print shop to make a banner, on the 1MHz Apple II, and then take turns playing Atari and watching the printer so it didn't run out of ink or jam or anything. Not that there was much we could do to correct the problem - we'd have to start over.

But we rarely had any problems and our hours-long print sessions went without a hitch. Eventually we learned to ensure there was enough paper ready and that it was printing dark when we started. Then we were good.

But back in the day it was great to be able to refill the printer with WD-40 and ballpoint pen ink. Total refill cost was like 2 dollars.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT? My Epson MX-80 from the BBS days works perfectly today. Whereas shit printers from last year are all clogged and leaky, not to mention having had to go through god knows how many updates.

• Like 1

I am honestly surprised nobody patented a system for reuse of ink ribbons for typewriters and dot matrix. So much wasted carbon ink on those ribbons since whatever white space existed surrounding the characters was ink left in place on the ribbon and discarded.

It could work similar to ink cartridge refills for inkjets. Take the old worn ribbon stock, and place it in a special rewinder that re-inks the ribbon as it passes across.

Like I just got through saying. WD-40 and ballpoint pen ink. The EPSON MX-80 has a continuous band of ribbon about as long as our PrintShop banners we used to make. And it goes round and round and round.

It helps to note that ink in the unused section of the ribbon tends to migrate into the area where the pintile just struck. And that's what WD-40 does - it helps speed up the redistribution process that would naturally occur over time.

And with the EPSON, you could take the ribbon out and flip it, thus exposing virgin material ready to be hammered.

Oftentimes we could re-ink up to 6 or 7 times more or less. The ribbon itself would develop raggedy spots where the pins repeatedly pounded it. Get frayed. And eventually start leaving lint behind. But only after a long time.

• Like 1

Also, if Mike wants to "spread the news" about Sean, I can't think of anyone in a better position to do so than the publisher of one of the leading retro gaming magazines.

Nah, he can't do that. That counts as Chameleon news and he has to charge his backers for it. Since there's no crowd-sourced slush fund to dig into, you get no Chameleon news. Simple as that.

• Like 4

This will come as a shock no one, but MK's post is gone.

I was just going to post that. Ok so Mr Lee is out of CA... But MK is still here. Even if Sean made it, Sean wasn't at the booth, he wasn't at the toy fair, he didn't get banners and T Shirts made Sean wasn't the face and mouth piece of the chameleon... I just can't get over that post, like he's doing the retro world a favor by letting us know Lee is gone when in fact Mike was the mastermind the whole time.

• Like 5

Nah, he can't do that. That counts as Chameleon news and he has to charge his backers for it. Since there's no crowd-sourced slush fund to dig into, you get no Chameleon news. Simple as that.

Oh, if Retro is supposed to be this awesome magazine with all the best content, Mike is in possession of an exclusive story. To not tell the tale would be doing othis readers a disservice. Both of them.

Oh, if Retro is supposed to be this awesome magazine with all the best content, Mike is in possession of an exclusive story. To not tell the tale would be doing othis readers a disservice. Both of them.

It's such an exclusive story he won't even give it to the authorities! That means it must be completely true and not self-incriminating at all.

• Like 3

I was just going to post that. Ok so Mr Lee is out of CA... But MK is still here. Even if Sean made it, Sean wasn't at the booth, he wasn't at the toy fair, he didn't get banners and T Shirts made Sean wasn't the face and mouth piece of the chameleon... I just can't get over that post, like he's doing the retro world a favor by letting us know Lee is gone when in fact Mike was the mastermind the whole time.

Another post that should not be lost in the noise. Plenty of jokes here which is fine, lots of guessing and BS too, but there are multiple primary sources here that should have gravity because they are speaking from actual involvement and provide clarity on what really happened. As BTB points out, there is no footage of Sean at a trade show making obviously false claims and presenting 3 fake prototypes as real. And need I remind you of MK's wall of text where he claimed all he wanted to do was show the CC playing multiple systems in the open, clearly ignoring BTB's video proving otherwise.

• Like 10

There's very little I care about this whole cock-up.

• Like 1

Oh, c'mon why ducks and not geese, platypuses or ..... beavers..... nevermind!!!!

Platypus is like a hybrid duck / beaver / egg-laying mammal, I think distant cousin to the marsupial. Not to be sacrilege, but God must have been drunk the day He create it! :rolling:

Duck Tape.

Ten thousand dollar question: Is it "duck tape" or "duct tape"? The rolls at the hardware store clearly show a duck on the graphic but it's spelled "duct"... :P

Platypus is like a hybrid duck / beaver / egg-laying mammal, I think distant cousin to the marsupial. Not to be sacrilege, but God must have been drunk the day He create it! :rolling:

Ten thousand dollar question: Is it "duck tape" or "duct tape"? The rolls at the hardware store clearly show a duck on the graphic but it's spelled "duct"... :P

It's both. Duck Tape brand duct tape.
  • Like 1