IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2016 (Season 9)

RCA Studio II:
Baseball - 28 min.
Bowling - 35 min.
Space War Horizontal Intercept - 15 min.
Space War Vertical Intercept - 4 min.
The two variations of Space War are like two different games, so not sure if they should count together or separately.

I usually count multicarts (e.g. Stella's Stocking) and multi-variation games as a single game, since otherwise the bookkeeping would get nightmarish. The only exception is if the individual games have been or went on to be individually released on that system:

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt - games are counted separately

Super Mario All-Stars - the 4 games are all counted under Super Mario All-Stars (none were individually released on the SNES)

Super Mario World + Super Mario All-Stars combo cart - Super Mario World counts on its own, All-Stars as above

Xonox double-enders get counted as two separate games since they're two different ROM chips anyway. Triple Challenge for Intellivision, I'm inclined to count as three separate games since it's just a SMB/Duck Hunt kind of situation with no substantive changes to the ROMs other than a wrapper. Hang-On/Safari Hunt, two separate games. The Sega CD 4-in-1 and 5-in-1 compilations, who knows.

• Like 4

I usually count multicarts (e.g. Stella's Stocking) and multi-variation games as a single game, since otherwise the bookkeeping would get nightmarish. The only exception is if the individual games have been or went on to be individually released on that system:

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt - games are counted separately

Super Mario All-Stars - the 4 games are all counted under Super Mario All-Stars (none were individually released on the SNES)

Super Mario World + Super Mario All-Stars combo cart - Super Mario World counts on its own, All-Stars as above

Xonox double-enders get counted as two separate games since they're two different ROM chips anyway. Triple Challenge for Intellivision, I'm inclined to count as three separate games since it's just a SMB/Duck Hunt kind of situation with no substantive changes to the ROMs other than a wrapper. Hang-On/Safari Hunt, two separate games. The Sega CD 4-in-1 and 5-in-1 compilations, who knows.

Thanks for the heads up! That actually answered a question I had for my times this week, since I ended up playing through the original black and white Game Boy version of R-Type on R-Type DX for the Game Boy Color. R-Type DX has 5 different R-Type games on the same cartridge: Exact ports of the R-Type 1 & 2 games that were released on the original Game Boy, then there's colorized enhanced versions of R-Type 1 & 2, and finally the fifth game is the two colorized versions connected back to back to form one long game with a new ending. In this case, since I played through the original black and white Game Boy version of R-Type (which was released as a stand alone cartridge) I'll go ahead and list my time for it as the original Game Boy version of R-Type, rather than the DX compilation I played it on.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

^Cool, that makes sense to me. :) If it's an unchanged rerelease of the same game as part of a multi-game cart -- they wouldn't need to change a single byte to make it run on the GBC, of course -- then counting it as the original makes sense for sure. Thanks for being attentive to that!

• Like 5

Here is the Space War game, for those unfamiliar of it. At 2:17 into the video, he switches from the horizontal to the vertical game.

I suppose the same question could be put for e.g. the different tables of Pinball Dreams/Fantasies, which I previously have noted are grouped together. At the other hand, all different hacks of Pac-Man tend to be listed separately, mainly because they haven't been released on a single cartridge I presume.

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Stargate / Defender II - 65 minutes

High score obtained for 2600 NEW HSC Season 5 / Week 11: 121,750

ATARI 5200:

1) Beef Drop - 55 minutes

High score obtained for 5200 HSC Season 9 / Round 4: 294,100 - this is the first time I'm breaking the All-Time 5200 HSC Record. My great experience on 7800 Beef Drop helped me a lot to break a record easily.

2) K-Razy Shoot-Out - 12 minutes

3) Space Invaders - 66 minutes

New records achieved on Games 1, 2, 6 and 12 - 32446, 9831, 2337 and 2042 points, respectively. The 5200 version of this classic game is more irresistible to play!

4) Super Pac-Man - 15 minutes

post-24681-0-68214800-1459702981_thumb.png

ATARI 7800:

K.C. Munchkin - 201 minutes

New score for 7800 HSC Season 8, Game 11 - 1419 points on Maze 1 visible. Took me more and more attempts and resets to reach my ultimate score. Until Round 10 on 7800 HSC Season 8, I won 7 rounds - Midnight Mutants, Mario Bros., Xevious, Xmas Time, Dungeon Stalker, Food Fight and Super Pac-Man.

• Like 5

Here is the Space War game, for those unfamiliar of it. At 2:17 into the video, he switches from the horizontal to the vertical game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCvwXzW51oU

I suppose the same question could be put for e.g. the different tables of Pinball Dreams/Fantasies, which I previously have noted are grouped together. At the other hand, all different hacks of Pac-Man tend to be listed separately, mainly because they haven't been released on a single cartridge I presume.

Truly terrible.....

I need one.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (March 28th through April 3rd)...

Online (non-eligible):

2048 - 443 min. in several sessions

Hexagonal 2048 - 89 min.

TI-99:

2048 - 47 min.

I've mainly played the original online version of 2048 this week. By now I've developed a strategy how to beat the game (getting the 2048 tile), which basically involves arranging the tiles so that a tile with a low number gets exposed, but is connected horizontally or vertically to a tile with the next higher number (which doesn't have to be exposed itself) so that you can build on matching the value of the exposed tile. I'm basically always concentrating on building one distinct tile, which should regularly end in some kind of chain reaction.

After beating the original version several times, I replayed the TI-99 version. Basically, unlike other games, if you have mastered the original version, you can play them all because they are identical gameplay-wise even if the graphics and animation are different. So I also managed to beat the TI-99 version. Next week I'll probably try the other versions available, among them the C-64 and the Atari 2600 version.

I also replayed Hexagonal 2048. It does take some getting used to since it's actually producing 2 new tiles per move instead of 1, but on the other hand, it's easier to sneak lower numbers past the higher ones, so once you're used to it, getting wrong tiles in is a smaller problem than on the original 2048. I managed to beat this one as well.

• Like 4

As a kid, my target was always 20,000. At 13, I achieved that goal. When I was 16, I wanted 25,000. Took 5 weeks of hard playing to get it.

Since I started playing my Atari again a few years ago, I have not even been able to hit 20,000. I played it alot last year and submitted to the tracker, thinking I wiuld eventually propel my favorite pre-NES space shooter into the 1000 minute club, but I didn't quite get it there. :)

• Like 2

I got to do a lot of playing while I was testing out some new hardware I've been assembling for my TI-99/4A this week. . .

TI-99/4A:

Alex Kidd on Miracle Island: 190 minutes

Robotron 2084: 30 minutes

Arcturus: 20 minutes

Attack of the Creepers: 20 minutes

Lasso: 15 Minutes

And the boys were plaing a bit of:

TI-99/4A:

Titanium: 60 minutes

I don't count their 3DS time. . .

• Like 5

My times for the week:

NES:
Ikari Warriors - 75 min.
Game Boy:
Shisenshou: Match Mania - 85 min.

I was curious how far I could make it in Ikari Warriors; after some practice the answer, so far, is most of the way through the first level. I don't really want to attempt a full run at the game, but there is something vaguely addictive about it...

Otherwise I cleared up to Level 27 in that ol' Game Boy puzzler.

• Like 6

My times for the week. A friend gifted me the Atari collection on Steam, so I dinked around with it a bit.

Arcade

Centipede 6

Black Widow 41

Major Havoc 30

Star Wars Battle Pod 15 - Is this tracked?

Return to Haunted House 10

Save Mary 80

Yars' Revenge 45

Off the Wall 20

I also went to a movie theatre nearby that has some nice arcade and pinball games. That's where I played the BattlePod.

Pinball tables played:

Walking Dead

Game of Thrones

Star Trek

Revenge from Mars

• Like 6

Atari 2600:

Donkey Kong - 15m

Ms. Pac-Man - 15m

Decathlon - 20m

Atari 7800:

Donkey Kong - 15m

Ms. Pac-Man - 20m

Atari 8 Bit:

Defender - 10m

Donkey Kong Arcade - 15m

Frogger - 10m

Kid Grid - 20m

Miner 2049er - 15m

Pac-Man - 15m

Pharaohs Curse - 10m

River Raid - 15m

Spy Hunter - 10m

• Like 5

Quite right about Pinball Dreams/Fantasies, since all the different tables in each are (as I understand it) under the umbrella of a single commercial release.

As for hacks, the tradition -- dating back to when cvga ran the tracker, I think -- is to list them individually, unless the changes are 100% cosmetic and relatively minor in which case they don't deserve an identity of their own. The theory is that they represent a new game, however much they owe to the original. FWIW I've treated the two releases of ESWAT on SMS -- with totally different difficulty curves -- as separate games.

What's trickier is when homebrew ROMs are played (and logged) individually while they're in development, and then grouped onto a single multi-game/omnibus cartridge for release. That's an issue with no good solution!

• Like 5

It seems like it was a pretty big week for a lot of the regulars here, and my household was no exception! :)

aktdpuo.jpg

Ineligible

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS) - 1,027 minutes

Game Boy

Boggle Plus - 29 minutes

Mortal Kombat II - 25 minutes

Quarth - 9 minutes

R-Type - 59 minutes

R-Type II - 63 minutes

Solar Striker - 21 minutes

Spot: The Cool Adventure - 36 minutes

Super Mario Land - 62 minutes

NES

Tetris - 31 minutes

PlayStation

Doom - 144 minutes

Resident Evil: Director's Cut - 375 minutes

Total Play Time This Week

1,881 minutes (31 hours 21 minutes) [854 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo DS: 1,027 minutes

PlayStation: 519 minutes

Game Boy: 304 minutes

NES: 31 minutes

Aside from my increasingly life-consuming Animal Crossing addiction, most of my play time this week was split between some classic Game Boy titles and Resident Evil: Director's Cut for the PlayStation. I've been really excited about getting the backlit and biverted original gray brick Game Boy that should arrive in the mail from GameBoyMods.co.uk in a couple weeks, so while I wait for it to show up I've been picking up some new Game Boy games and accessories as well as playing through some old favorites. The new additions to my collection this week were Spot: The Cool Adventure (which I remembered playing on road trips with my grandparents as a kid and really loved), Quarth, and a couple other games—Battle Unit Zeoth and Montezuma's Return—that I'm waiting until the new Game Boy arrives to dive into. In the meantime, this week I did full play throughs of Super Mario Land, Solar Striker, and the original black and white Game Boy versions of both R-Type and R-Type II on the R-Type DX compilation cartridge.

The last two were totally new to me, since while I had played the colorized enhanced versions of R-Type and R-Type II that come on R-Type DX several times before, I had never played through the original black and white ones. I think what surprised me most about them was that there were actually quite a few differences level design and the effectiveness of power-ups throughout both games compared to the later colorized versions, and your ship's hitbox seemed a little inconsistent in original black and white version of R-Type; which made Stage 4 way more challenging (and at times downright infuriating) than it is on the later colorized versions. But, in spite of the hitbox inconsistencies and some changes to the gameplay here and there, I still managed to beat both R-Type and R-Type II after about an hour. I wasn't able to capture a picture of the ending of the original R-Type since the credits rolled by way too fast, but I did get a quick snap of the ending for R-Type II! :D

On the PlayStation front, this week I was finally able to beat Resident Evil: Director's Cut on Advanced/Arrange Mode with Chris (something I was struggling to finish up last week). After that, using the unlimited ammo Colt Python that I unlocked as a reward for completing Advanced Mode, I ended up trying my hand at doing a speed run to complete the game in less than 3 hours to unlock the Rocket Launcher with unlimited ammo. I wasn't sure whether or not I could pull it off on Advanced Mode, even with the unlimited ammo Colt Python, but ultimately I was able to finish the game with a new personal best time of 1 hour and 44 minutes! Finally, as far as my wife's play time this week goes, she's got in a little Tetris on the NES and has been continuing to play through Doom II on the PS1 Doom disc. At this point she's getting pretty close to finishing it up, having found and gotten through both of the two new secret levels that were added to Doom II for the PlayStation version, and I think she's got less than half a dozen levels left to go in the game. It wasn't quite as active of a week for her in terms of gaming time as it was for me, but I think we both still had a lot of fun and are looking forward to what next week brings.

That's all for now! :party:

Edited by Jin
  • Like 6

32X:

DOOM - 52 minutes

3DO:

Flying Nightmares - 100 minutes

PO'ed - 50 minutes

Atari 2600:

E.T. - 12 minutes

PC-9801:

Policenauts - 200 minutes

Sharp X68000:

Cameltry - 82 minutes

Super NES:

ActRaiser - 500 minutes

Pilotwings - 12 minutes

Yeah, a good bit of SNES was played this week. I started off with the 32X and 3DO, just played some random stuff that I like, and it was fun. The 2600 got some playtime with E.T. as I had nothing better to do, ran through it once and it was fun. The PC-9801 and Sharp X68000 were played a bit, Policenauts I just felt like playing as it was fun and Cameltry was sitting out so I messed with it. Finally, SNES was a lot of Actraiser - I forgot how I loved the game a good bit, but dang do I suck at it. I want to get the 2nd one, but I can never find a copy locally - seems to be around $20 online though so I may just do that.

So yeah, just a bunch of random stuff. Also, I may get back to Game.com, but I really don't want to play more of that... soo yeah.

41.5 hours of playtime I think.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 14, running from March 28 - April 3. We logged 6686 minutes of eligible play, playing 90 games on a total of 21 systems.

Top 10:

1. ActRaiser (SNES) - 500

2. Faxanadu (NES/Famicom) - 400

3. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PlayStation) - 375

4. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 374

5. Super Pro Football (Intellivision) - 340

6. Crusader of Centy (Genesis) - 280

7. Defender II / Stargate (Atari 2600) - 239

8. AD&D: Cloudy Mountain (Intellivision) - 210

8. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES/Famicom) - 210

10. K.C. Munchkin (Atari 7800) - 201

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 374

2. Super Pro Football (Intellivision) - 340

3. Defender II / Stargate (Atari 2600) - 239

4. AD&D: Cloudy Mountain (Intellivision) - 210

5. K.C. Munchkin (Atari 7800) - 201

6. Alex Kidd on Miracle Island (TI-99/4A) - 190

7. Snafu (Intellivision) - 160

8. Tunnels of Doom (TI-99/4A) - 150

9. Save Mary (Atari 2600) - 80

10. GORF (Atari 2600) - 70

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (984)

2. Atari 2600 (900)

3. Intellivision (805)

4. TI-99/4A (627)

5. Game Boy (574)

6. SNES (547)

7. PlayStation (519)

8. Genesis (290)

9. Atari 7800 (236)

10. NEC PC-9801 (200)

We return to big numbers with Week 14! Action RPGs take 4 of 10 spots this week, with ActRaiser at the top of the heap.

There's a nice even distribution in the Top 10 games -- only 1 minute separates Kaboom and Resident Evil! -- which helps lead to an uncommon situation, in which each chart is topped by a different platform: Kaboom on the VCS takes the pre-NES charts, while the top overall system is the NES.

Our #2 game this week, Faxanadu, also has 1139 minutes logged to date. Thus, together with Doom on the PlayStation (1003 minutes) and Space Invaders on the Atari 5200 (1039 minutes), we get our three newest entrants to the 1000-minute club at spots #206-208.

• Like 8

I would like to tell all participants about my greatest conquest:

The official competition at HighScore.com ended on April 3, 2016. During this contest period (Jan 30 2016 - Apr 3 2016), I played a lot of Atari 5200 and 7800 games, via emulator in all sessions. Now, I'm going to share the final numbers on my favorite category:

post-24681-0-58499300-1459988226_thumb.png

For quick reference: http://www.highscore.com/discussions/topic/jan-30-2016-new-contests-pc-ios-atari-consoles-top-voters/691

The winner of Atari 5200 / 7800 Trophy Cracking Contest is.... ME - OYAMAFAMILY! With 151 worldwide trophies (away from the 2nd place Deteacher, with 116 trophies), I won a composite modded Atari 7800 Prosystem Console. When my 7800 Console arrives safely at my home, I will take and post my photos which will show my console, and I will have fun much more and increase my experience with Atari games!

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 5