IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - the newestl edition available very soon

Simius

I have checked softcore in the IDE+ for Roy's issue and found a potential source of trouble. I'm not sure, if it will solve the problem, because it's never happened here, but I would rate the chances at 99%. Currently I'm testing the new core on a few my own computers and it seems to be ok.

• Like 2

Sorry to bear bad tidings, but the settings found their way back to the defaults again today. Turned the computer on, booted to MyDos, checked an image directory with APE, and noticed the SIO was at regular speed. Start + RESET to the menu confirmed the return to the defaults. Device has not been disconnected from the 600XL/Antonia. Just turned OFF overnight. Was working properly yesterday afternoon, late.

Found something (maybe)... Contrary to my earlier assertion, it is sufficient to cause the issue here by having the "Quick disable" set to ON and then using it by holding down SHIFT when powering on. I'm starting to think that this may be related to Antonia, so I'm going to try several different computers. I'm going back to the 320K XE. I don't think that I had this issue previously when using this computer. Then I'll go to a completely stock XL.

Perhaps I'm dreaming, but I seem to remember that it was OK on the earlier versions of the +2 to get to the START menu by holding down the START button when powering up (much like using the HELP, SELECT, etc. on other upgrades? That definitely can mess up the settings on my "E."

-Larry

@drac030-

Maybe, a new clue. I have been able to repeat a failure mode by turning the power OFF then back ON (from Dos or Basic) and unless I wait for 10 seconds or so (presumably for the ram to clear), then the menu settings become corrupted. Does this make any sense? I don't recall this issue (if it is an issue) with earlier versions.

I've been trying to create failures on the Antonia XL, a 320K XE, and now a stock 800XL. I can generate corrupted settings on all three.

Question -- Let's say that "it is what it is," and this is the way that this interface is going to behave. I presume that the default settings are in the bios? Would it be possible to allow the user to edit the settings before flashing? Sort of like the Antonia menu? That way when it corrupts, it would revert to the way we use the interface 99% of the time.

-Larry

@Simius-

Yes, saw that, but also thought that this was a different issue. But sure, I'll try. Is it available and how applied JTAG? If JTAG, I'll need some further instructions. I do have a Xilinx programmer that I used with the Ultimate firmware.

-Larry

I don't know, if Xilinx programmer will be suitable. I use a USB Blaster. Hook up your programmer to the computer with the Altera Quartus II enviroment. If it is recognized, use it. I provide you the firmware. Also for the Antonia, which should work already with the SIDE2.

Thanks, Roy. But the link you provide doesn't look like it will fit the connector on the E.

Naturally, the photo only show one side of the product even if there may be pins on the other side. (?) I've never seen a connector that looks like the ones he's used, so I'm totally unfamiliar with this.

I guess Simius will need to provide some more complete information.

-Larry

Black screen here with mine as well on a U1MB 800XL. I'll test it out tomorrow on a PBI equipped 1200XL and see what happens.

BTW please everyone link or mention the parts your order/test as you go. Having to go through all the CPLD U1MB stuff was a challenge - not exactly excited to do it all over again :)

Hi Roy-

Have you ordered one yet? I have plenty of time until my "Blaster" gets here from China. When you get yours, if it fits, could you please let us know?

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry

Yes I ordered two of them and destroyed both of them trying to crimp the IDC onto a ten strip ribbon cable. First one crushed one of the side walls with my ribbon crimper and the second on I used a vise that I use to do 20 Pin IDC cables for the MyIDE equipment and it got started crooked and broke one of the end pieces that holds it all together. So I ordered a couple more but hold no hope of getting a good cable..

Hi Larry

Yes I ordered two of them and destroyed both of them trying to crimp the IDC onto a ten strip ribbon cable. First one crushed one of the side walls with my ribbon crimper and the second on I used a vise that I use to do 20 Pin IDC cables for the MyIDE equipment and it got started crooked and broke one of the end pieces that holds it all together. So I ordered a couple more but hold no hope of getting a good cable..

2 solutions...

1200$ for the kit plus specific adapter from TE, :-D :-D

or

http://eleccelerator.com/3d-printed-micro-match-connector-crimp-tool/

• Like 2

What for a wood with holes? Remove contacts from the female connector and use plastic only.

Sounds good. Normally, one can't remove contacts, but then I've never seen one of these things. Wonder why the guy went to the trouble with the 3D printer thing?

@rdea6 -- do yours look like they are removable, or does it look like this would create other issues?

Another thought, if the connector removal doesn't pan out -- I wonder if it would be possible to use a (sacrificial) mating connector (type that is on the pcb) to hold the pins?

@Simius-

Since you are expecting us to update the firmware, perhaps you could include the cable with the purchase of the device? You could charge a few $ for the cable, and that way purchasers could avoid the hassle of purchase and shipping. Contact removal -- is that what you did on your cable? Just mechanical removal and re-insertion (no glue, etc)?

-Larry

Oh, my!

Did they fit the JTAG fitting on the IDE+2 and/or Antonia OK? If you've got the supplier and part number, that would be great. (Link?)

-Larry

No it did not fit the IDE +2 JTAG I think that mine has a cable to PCB JTAG fitting. And my Antonia's 800XL and 130XE 65816 CPU adapters do not have a fitting in place just through holes on the board.

On Roy "crystal pictures" :-D :P :P I see the same micro-match type connector as the ide +2. Also I see and the bigger polarization hole near the ic.

http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-215079-0.html

http://gr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/1-215079-0/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugjGtUmtzyIg7iHSzGLi1Dx7ra8pD4PZeBAmvXbcL%2fi4Q%3d%3d

This must do the job! :)

Hi Panos-

Thanks for posting. On the IDE+2, there is the pcb mounted JTAG connector portion, which looks like what you posted. It has the contacts for through the hole mounting. But we need to attach a 10-wire ribbon cable to allow use with a USB Blaster to update the cpld. The Antonia has the same pin arrangement, but just the holes are on the pcb. So what we also need is the ribbon cable connector portion for the IDE+.

I have no experience with this type connector, so right now, we are "groping" to find what we need. Could you please look and tell us if you believe that this is the corresponding part we need to clamp on the ribbon cable? I really hate to "guess" and end up with the wrong parts and deal with the return hassles.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=O3N86PA0UL%252bOTTRv1IoYTw%3d%3d

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry. :)

Reading both your and Roy writings, I conclude cause you need No1 part for the ribbon cable of Altera programmer, and No2 part for the "Antonia" pcb. After you can use your Altera programmer on both PCB's, as to upgrade the firmware.

No1.

http://gr.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=O3N86PA0UL%252bOTTRv1IoYTw%3D%3D

No2.

http://gr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/1-215079-0/?qs=%2Fha2pyFadugjGtUmtzyIg7iHSzGLi1Dx7ra8pD4PZeBAmvXbcL%2Fi4Q%3D%3D

But keep in mind what Roy write about the No1 part on this post.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248397-ide-plus-20-the-newestl-edition-available-very-soon/page-8?do=findComment&comment=3580086

• Like 1