IGNORED

Which compilation games are your favorites?

Nowadays during the past decade or so there have been numerous compilation games released especially for the Playstation, Playstation 2, Xbox, Game Cube, Playstation 3, and Xbox 360. Many arcade ports, complete series of games, etc. There are so many great ones and here is a list of my personal favorites.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection: I'm a huge Mega Man Fan and enjoy the NES versions. I also like the 2 included and unlockable import arcade games. One of the best compilation game series.

Mega Man X Collection: Just like above only X7 and X8 are not included of course since they are released for the PS2 to get separately.

Metal Slug Anthology: Awesome Neo Geo series and a fun 2D run and gunner.

Midway Arcade Treasures 1 and 2: Great arcade classics from the 80's ported.

Taito Legends 1 and 2: Just like the Midway Collection. More awesome ports.

Capcom Classics Collection Volumes 1 and 2: I enjoy the Capcom series and some of the games I grew up playing on the NES are available on arcade to play at home.

Now what are yours?

• Like 2

Maybe not the best ever, but I got a lot of play out of the GBA Atari Anniversary Advanced cart. The PS1 Midway releases were great too. I can't think of anything more modern, though. I've been wanting to pick up the Metal Slug Anthology on Wii, but I own all the original carts and have heard mixed things about those releases.

• Like 2

Midway Arcade Treasures 1 and 2: Great arcade classics from the 80's ported.

Taito Legends 1 and 2: Just like the Midway Collection. More awesome ports.

Capcom Classics Collection Volumes 1 and 2: I enjoy the Capcom series and some of the games I grew up playing on the NES are available on arcade to play at home.

Now what are yours?

Hi Keith,

I have these titles for my collection. Fantastic games that I enjoy and take them out when I can. I would recommend them to those that enjoy retro and compilation games. If gamers can purchase them at a decent...I say go for it! :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

I think the Capcom, Activision, and Sega Genesis collections on PSP are pretty neat, because the old games look great on the small screen.

I loved the addition of the old Atari Star Wars games to Rebel Strike on the GameCube.

Namco Museum is nothing special now, but was cool when new.

There was a sweet Konami collection on GBA with alternate versions of all the games on that cartridge, all of which were pretty neat in their own right.

I adored having legit Imagic ROMs in Intellivision Rocks.

I think the retro compilation is a dying art form, and it's hard to get enough unique games in collections nowadays. We have seen the Atari, Activision, Intellivision and Sega Genesis collections so many times it is difficult to get excited about the same old thing. Coleco Flashback was nice because it had little-seen games. Chameleon might be more of the same but I have doubts they will do it at a palatable price point.

Building your own collection via emulation and custom front ends is the new bundle.

I will always buy competent retro collections even when I have most of the games, just to show support for the people doing this important preservation and curation work.

• Like 2

Man, emulation problems aside... Midway Arcade Treasures 1, 2, and 3 were what made me realize modern day gaming was just NOTfor me.

I enjoyed Metroid Prime, and LOZ: The Wind Waker.... and Resident Evil 4, even though that was the ENDITALL button of one of the greatest game series ever.... that's neither here nor there... but over all.... I was spending WAY more time playing these 3 arcade collections.

I lived in a small town at the time, and had subscribed to Nintendo Power just to get the Zelda Bonus Disc that had the NES and N64 games on it, and I remember seeing an ad for these games, and being so glad that I COULD buy them when I saw them in stores in my area ... one at a time as they came out here I got each one. It was a great time in console gaming for me, hard to believe it is so far away aready!!

I love these collections, even with the occasional flaw here and there.

They showed me how what I loved in gaming was just going away.... newer and newer games kept getting farther and farther away from what these games were about.

The GCN was the last console I ever, and probably WILL, ever buy...

Its ironic. These games were FINALLY playable in their arcade glory on home systems.... but players DIDN'T seem to want to play these games anymore...

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

I basically love all the multiple compilations that have the classic Williams games on them. But there is a special one in that regard.

The one I played the absolute most was Arcade's Greatest Hits the Williams Collection for the PS1. I bought it for Defender, Stargate, and Joust. It reintroduced me to and sparked a love affair with Robotron. It was cool to play Sinistar again after all the intervening years. And even though Bubbles is far from my favorite game, it's fun to play that one from time to time too.

AFAIK, that one was also the only one with those games where you could change the text on the demo screens and really get nitty gritty playing around with the dip switches. I put all kinds of goofy stuff on the demo screens of mine.

• Like 1

Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (XBox 360)

Phantasy Star Collection (GBA)

Got 1, 2, 4, 5 still need Number 3

Thought I saw somewhere that all of them got Greatest Hits releases except number 3 for some reason. Am I remembering that right? I used to have the one with Rally-X and Bosconian on it I think... But lost almost all my PS1 games a long time ago.

• Like 1

I'm glad I don't have to chose amongst These collections. I think the ones I played the most are Capcom Collection, Namco Museum, and Activision Anthology. There is a pretty cool Konami collection on the Nintendo DS too...

I also have a Konami Collection V.2 on the Game Boy with Block game, Parodius and Frogger. Pretty cool. It also has Track and Field, but that game is garbage.

Besides that there are tons of others. So many Fighting games have entire series compiled in a disk for the PS2: Samurai Shodown, Street fighter Alpha, King of fighters, World Heroes, Art of fighting, Darkstalkers (JP only as far as I know).

That's the reason why I like my PS2 and Xbox 360 as much as I do. If I was relying only on original games for both platforms they'd be OK, but nothing that Special.

• Like 1

That's a tough call.. I have almost all of the PS 2 compilations and several of the PSX compilations (as well as some older PC stuff).

I think that my favourite would have to be the Genesis collection for the PS 2. I have never owned/played actual Genesis hardware, and the compilation has a decent selection of games across different genres. I am a big fan of the Phantsay Star RPGs. It also includes the arcade version of Zaxxon.

Second place would go to the Atari 80-in-1 collection, mainly for the original vector arcade games -- especially Space Duel and Asteroids.

My least favourite would be Midway Arcade Treasures 3, but that is mainly because I do not much like racing games whatsoever.

• Like 1

I love the Midway Treasures collections, even #3 with its awesome rendition of Rush 2049 (stunt track!) save for the emulation issues on a few games. Most notably Wizard of Wor. How in the hell do things like that get past the testers?? :(

Disappointing that there's only SNK Vol. I. If the reason there were no other volumes is because sales were soft, no wonder! Game selection is rather weak. I hate it when companies pull that shit and expect us to lap up whatever bone they threw. :mad:

I have the Sega Arcade and Genesis collections as well, but wasn't aware Zaxxon was on one of them. The unlock-able content scheme is something else I can't stand. Show the damn offerings on the menu and don't dick around like that!

Oh and the Williams and Gottlieb pinball collections are excellent. Wish Atari would produce a similar product that has their machines included. I rather like Space Riders, Middle Earth, Superman, etc. :love:

• Like 2

I have probably played the Activision Anthology on PS2 the most. I dig the music and the ability to get the patches. Right behind it would be Midway Arcade Treasures (the one with Defender and Robotron). I like some of the other ones that people mentioned too like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for X360. I've also wanted to get that Metal Slug collex for Wii, but I have never pulled the trigger.

Some that haven't been mentioned that I really like are the early XBox 360 arcade compilations - XBox Live Arcade Unplugged. (I played the one with Feeding Frenzy and Geometry Wars a lot). AND Kirby's Dream Collection for Wii. This one made me realize how much improved menus and features could enhance my enjoyment for the original games.

If you let me take a turn off to the side a little, I also enjoyed playing the various Pinball Hall of Fame collections quite a bit.

Edit - Save2600 posted at the same time as me about the pinball collections. Those are great!

• Like 1

BTW: thanks for the heads up Retrogamer... was not aware of the MegaMan games for the PS2! Never really got into them BITD, but am more than mildly interested in them today. Picked up both for $23 shipped (brand new) off eBay just now!

Don't have the Metal Slug Anthology either, but I see those are fetching a pretty penny. Should have bought that when it was more affordable. :(

-edit-

Yeah, talking about the PS2. Got rid of my Wii and Wii-U a while ago.

• Like 1

BTW: thanks for the heads up Retrogamer... was not aware of the MegaMan games for the PS2! Never really got into them BITD, but am more than mildly interested in them today. Picked up both for $23 shipped (brand new) off eBay just now!

Don't have the Metal Slug Anthology either, but I see those are fetching a pretty penny. Should have bought that when it was more affordable. :(

It's a heck of a deal for the Mega Man Anniversary Collection nowadays. As 1 through 8 go for a total of several hundred dollars all combined individually. And easily over a Thousand counting the X Collection. My only gripe is the ending of Mega Man 7 doesn't have Mega Man walking with Wily's Skull Castle burning with the credits, it's a black screen with the credits rolling. There are some fantastic unlockables as well. If you have a Wii that version is cheaper for the Metal Slug Anthology. There is a couple on ebay for 30 bucks. The PS2 version is more expensive.
  • Like 1