IGNORED

So I just discovered I own a complete Battle Sphere Gold

NowThereAreNoLimits

Back in the 90's and early 2000's, my Dad and I were hardcore collectors. Most of my collection of over 1,000 games was amassed between 1994 - 2004. Dad passed away in 2007, and I got married in 2012. It's taken me all of this time to actually organize and go through my entire collection.

For a while in the late mid to late 90's, my Dad was a hardcore Jaguar fan. I remembered him ordering Jaguar games from independent dealers like Telegames quite often. I knew we had some rare stuff.

While purging through the collection today, I discovered a shiny gold sticker on one of my Jaguar games.

Wnv9gAI.jpg?1IhvX81N.jpg?2vndmui6.jpg?1

I thought... WOW! I think this is actually a VERY RARE game. A little bit of research, and I've come to find out it's sold on Ebay for over $1,700 before.

Now, my question is:

Can someone honestly and with details explain to me why this game is so rare, and how much mine is worth based on the condition seen in the photos above?

Thank you so much. I am very much in the dark here but excited about my discovery!

Edited by NowThereAreNoLimits
  • Like 3

Original Battlesphere came out in 1999 or 2000. Battlesphere Gold came out in 2002 I believe.

Both are rare, Gold moreso. I think theres something like only 300-400 copies of both games combined. Maybe 300 original 100 Gold. Not sure.

Original Battlesphere sells for $400-600 on Ebay usually.

Battlesphere Gold value on Ebay is something like $600-800.

Maybe $800-1,000 if brand new mint never opened.

The only thing Battlesphere worth $1,700 is Battlesphere Trio, a one of a kind cart.

Let's see pictures of what else you got. :)

Edited by JaGamer

It is rare (and valuable) because it got a limited print and no more are being produced. You'll see that with a lot of Jaguar stuff these days, regardless of the quality of the game. Battlesphere goes for a bit more because it is one of the few nicely polished and reasonably fun games that show off a 3D engine on the Jaguar, and one of two that have stable network feature. It was intended to be a retail game (and presumably funded by Atari until they folded), then finished by the original devs who got approval from Hasbro to release it.

As Jagamer noted, I don't think a Battlesphere or Battlesphere Gold ever sold for $1,700... his range seems more in line with what I've seen. Still not bad for something you forgot you had ;)

Edited by Willard

Nice find! eBay is always a crapshoot, but I could see a copy of Battlesphere Gold going for $1000+ at auction if you're lucky. Just depends how many people with spare cash are looking to bid against one another. You can bet some douche speculator will try to grab it for about $800 at auction so they can put it back up for $1500 buy it now and wait forever until some unsuspecting or desperate buyer grabs it.

Thanks guys! This really helps me determine the value and know the history behind the game.

Let's see pictures of what else you got. :)

Some of the other games I rediscovered that I was unsure about - both value and history.

G7H5Ll4.jpg?1

0if4eIb.jpg?1

Sadly, my dad cut the boxes on Iron Soldier 2 and World Tour Racing to fit them into protective cases (oh the irony). Iron Soldier 2 CD is the Yellow Label CD-R first run. Does anyone know the value of these or have any more information?

That last picture is of some of the Songbird games we obtained back when they were first released. That Protector is Protector SE. I also have the cart only of the original Protector. I'd generally like to know how many of these were produced and the value. Determining whether or not I want to sell. Thank you.

Edited by NowThereAreNoLimits

That last picture is of some of the Songbird games we obtained back when they were first released. That Protector is Protector SE. I also have the cart only of the original Protector. I'd generally like to know how many of these were produced and the value. Determining whether or not I want to sell. Thank you.

I don't know that there is any information regarding production numbers. Up until recently the original Protector was still available from Songbird but I believe it's now OOP. The value would mainly be for a collector as the SE version is generally considered the better version. I'd guess maybe $40-50 loose. The SE is still available new from B&C for $80 so a used version is worth less than that.

Are there anymore details you can give on the Trio? Never heard of that before.

June 9, 2006 - Battlesphere Trio™, a one-of-a-kind cart is put up for auction on eBay. All proceeds will go to Diabetes research thanks to the Scatologic team which includes the Jaguar Sector II forum regular, Doug Engel (Thunderbird).

AA forum member Willard has it. It was auctioned on ebay by Thunderbird aka Doug Engel, one of the programmers of the game. That was like 10+ years ago. Sold for something like 1700 but I don't remember exacts.

Thunderbird used to post a lot on Atari Age too, way back when it first started up in the early 2000s...

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=and&sid=098f66983c5f51ff997809f26a0b5d11&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_content=titles&search_app_filters[forums][noPreview]=1&search_app_filters[forums][pCount]=&search_app_filters[forums][pViews]=&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_app_filters[forums][sortDir]=0&search_term=battlesphere&search_app=forums&st=150

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229677-almost-800-for-battlesphere-gold-on-ebay/?hl= battlesphere trio

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229677-almost-800-for-battlesphere-gold-on-ebay/?do=findComment&comment=3072418

"The cartridge contains the contents of battlesphere, battlesphere gold, and a special selection menu preceded by a high res FMV intro sequence. There are 3 LEDs on the cart itself that cycle as each different selection is highlighted (battlesphere/battlesphere gold/jugs)."

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/89016-whats-this-battlesphere-trio/

post-45518-0-95774000-1456865462_thumb.jpg

Edited by JaGamer
  • Like 3

It was intended to be a retail game (and presumably funded by Atari until they folded), then finished by the original devs who got approval from Hasbro to release it.

Unfortunately, you've got some incorrect info on this part. Battlespehere was always an independent project that was going to be released via 4Play. Initially they had talked to Atari about making it Star Raiders, but Atari wasn't interested in that so Scott and Company moved forward on their own.

BTW, I was the primary playtester for Battlesphere and it's still one of my favorite games.

Mark

• Like 5

Unfortunately, you've got some incorrect info on this part. Battlespehere was always an independent project that was going to be released via 4Play. Initially they had talked to Atari about making it Star Raiders, but Atari wasn't interested in that so Scott and Company moved forward on their own.

BTW, I was the primary playtester for Battlesphere and it's still one of my favorite games.

Mark

I see, I have never seen it specifically stated and by Doug's stories of Atari and Battlesphere for some reason I got the impression it was internally supported by Atari. Interesting fact I guess.

Edited by Willard

I see, I have never seen it specifically stated and by Doug's stories of Atari and Battlesphere for some reason I got the impression it was internally supported by Atari. Interesting fact I guess.

No worries. I'm just passing on the little info that I have.

Mark

Mark

Did you work for Atari?

No, I am a friend of Scott's who was one of the leads on Battlesphere. Although I did test some carts for Atari during the same time as the development of Battlesphere.

Mark

You think those guys could be convinced to do another run of Battlesphere?

June 9, 2006 - Battlesphere Trio™, a one-of-a-kind cart is put up for auction on eBay. All proceeds will go to Diabetes research thanks to the Scatologic team which includes the Jaguar Sector II forum regular, Doug Engel (Thunderbird).

AA forum member Willard has it. It was auctioned on ebay by Thunderbird aka Doug Engel, one of the programmers of the game. That was like 10+ years ago. Sold for something like 1700 but I don't remember exacts.

Thunderbird used to post a lot on Atari Age too, way back when it first started up in the early 2000s...

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=and&sid=098f66983c5f51ff997809f26a0b5d11&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_content=titles&search_app_filters[forums][noPreview]=1&search_app_filters[forums][pCount]=&search_app_filters[forums][pViews]=&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_app_filters[forums][sortDir]=0&search_term=battlesphere&search_app=forums&st=150

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229677-almost-800-for-battlesphere-gold-on-ebay/?hl= battlesphere trio

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229677-almost-800-for-battlesphere-gold-on-ebay/?do=findComment&comment=3072418

"The cartridge contains the contents of battlesphere, battlesphere gold, and a special selection menu preceded by a high res FMV intro sequence. There are 3 LEDs on the cart itself that cycle as each different selection is highlighted (battlesphere/battlesphere gold/jugs)."

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/89016-whats-this-battlesphere-trio/

That looks like a shit quality label.