IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

As posted last time you asked --

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250637-lynx-multi-card-preorders/page-1

Have a read of the first post, watch the many review videos, etc...

Sorry, but I'm a bit baffled as to what this guy is doing. He's posting links to the start of this thread? As if I wouldn't have looked there before posting in the first place? And the link doesn't answer any of my questions? What is he smoking?

Oh, and I'm not looking through 40+ minutes of Youtube videos by other people to maybe get an answer. If I'm going to to pay £70 for a product, I expect the seller to directly answer questions, not respond contemptuously like that.

Sorry, but I'm a bit baffled as to what this guy is doing. He's posting links to the start of this thread? As if I wouldn't have looked there before posting in the first place? And the link doesn't answer any of my questions? What is he smoking?

Oh, and I'm not looking through 40+ minutes of Youtube videos by other people to maybe get an answer. If I'm going to to pay £70 for a product, I expect the seller to directly answer questions, not respond contemptuously like that.

Well, no reason to get personal. Sure, watching the video is a pain and serve null and nothing.

Anyway, I'd say any Lynx game should work unless it needs special features like the EEPROM or SRAM.

• Like 1

Well, no reason to get personal. Sure, watching the video is a pain and serve null and nothing.

Anyway, I'd say any Lynx game should work unless it needs special features like the EEPROM or SRAM.

Your answer gives me more info in an hour than I got from the other guy in the last three days - thanks!

It's not just the fact he linked to the opening post, but the way he did it. Just a link with no additional text to explain why. Then when I asked again (and it wasn't even him I asked, it was you), he responded again anyway:

As posted last time you asked --

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250637-lynx-multi-card-preorders/page-1

Have a read of the first post, watch the many review videos, etc...

"As posted last time you asked" , three dots at the end of the second sentence. Yeah, that definitely wasn't meant to be disrespectful, was it!

I'm probably risking more clipped responses, but I'll remind everyone of the other two questions again:

1. How long does it take for games to load, and is the load time dependent on the ROM size?

2. Is there a snapshot option?

Once again, thanks for reading haha :)

1. How long does it take for games to load, and is the load time dependent on the ROM size?

I do not have this card, but I think you can get a good idea of the loading time by (don't hit me) watching one of the "reviews".

And of course it depends on the game size (same as loading something on a PC).

Let's do the math: SPI runs with max. 40MHz. So raw data rate is 40Mbit/s = 5Mbyte/s. But the PIC runs likely with a clock much less, so I guess 100KB/s data rate is maybe possible. So my guess (SainT may throw in real numbers) is that loading takes about 5s for a typical 256K game.

This is the advantage of the Flash card Karri made years ago, normal loading time but getting an image on the card took long.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 7:14 PM, Spector said:

Your answer gives me more info in an hour than I got from the other guy in the last three days - thanks!

It's not just the fact he linked to the opening post, but the way he did it. Just a link with no additional text to explain why. Then when I asked again (and it wasn't even him I asked, it was you), he responded again anyway:

"As posted last time you asked" , three dots at the end of the second sentence. Yeah, that definitely wasn't meant to be disrespectful, was it!

I'm probably risking more clipped responses, but I'll remind everyone of the other two questions again:

Once again, thanks for reading haha :)

Sorry, I quite honestly thought the questions asked were in the FAQ section. Most people don't bother to read the first post, and it looked like you had ignored my post directing you there. A simple response of "The questions aren't covered in the FAQ" would have covered it and I would have answered them as I am now.

FAQ updated.

Q: How long do games take to load?

A: About 11 seconds, although time can vary depending on memory card.

Q: Is there a snapshot feature?

A: No, this isn't possible with the Lynx hardware.

Q: Do all Lynx games work with this cart?

A: Yes, there are no known issues with games themselves, although any games which use EEPROM for save state will not save the game as there is no support for this.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

Sorry, I quite honestly thought the questions asked were in the FAQ section. Most people don't bother to read the first post, and it looked like you had ignored my post directing you there. A simple response of "The questions aren't covered in the FAQ" would have covered it and I would have answered them as I am now.

If you had told me to look in the FAQ in the first place, I would have done that, but your ambiguous link translated to me as "Why don't you try looking at the first page before posting, you fu***** idiot." When you responded to Amicrawler's question about cost on page 67 - which is covered by the FAQ- you were much more sociable, so I don't get you. It's a shame, because I'm more impressed by the product than the producer, but I'll leave the disagreement there and keep this thread on-topic.

If you had told me to look in the FAQ in the first place, I would have done that, but your ambiguous link translated to me as "Why don't you try looking at the first page before posting, you fu***** idiot." When you responded to Amicrawler's question about cost on page 67 - which is covered by the FAQ- you were much more sociable, so I don't get you. It's a shame, because I'm more impressed by the product than the producer, but I'll leave the disagreement there and keep this thread on-topic.

For others reading this, and to support SainT and his efforts in getting this great product to everyone that wants one, I want to vouch for SainT's excellent customer care. I have been subscribed to this thread since the beginning, and SainT has done an excellent job answering questions, and taking care of people in general. This includes the first answer that SainT gave to Dragonstomper. I tested his first answer/reply to Dragonstomper, and after clicking on the link, I was able to find the answers to all the questions in just a few seconds. Upon further complaint from Dragonstomper that Saint still wasn't doing enough to answer his questions, SainT went out of his way to copy and re-post those easily accessible answers.

SainT, you are awesome in my book! And I understand that we wouldn't have these products without the producer. Thanks for all you do! :thumbsup:

• Like 6

Q: Do all Lynx games work with this cart?

A: Yes, there are no known issues with games themselves, although any games which use EEPROM for save state will not save the game as there is no support for this.

Q: Why didn't you put an EEPROM (or at least the space for it) on the card?

If you read back a little further you will be able to glean I have some odd undiagnosed chronic illness which leaves me completely screwed at times, and this has been the case for the last couple of months without letup. I do my best to keep on top of questions and provide unquestionable customer aftercare (quite honestly, ask anyone who has bought from me!), however at times I find it extremely difficult. So, yes, at some points I will be more sociable / ameniable than others.

Apologies if you find my shortness in reply rude, but I was to the point and as far as I was aware, proving the answers requsted. I personally find people ignoring my posts and not even replying directly to me when slagging me off to be the epitome of rudeness without any question. At no point do you provide reasoned and constructive responses, but abuse.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 3

On 1/21/2018 at 8:33 AM, 42bs said:

Q: Why didn't you put an EEPROM (or at least the space for it) on the card?

A combination of factors really. My main concern / goal was supporting all commercial games, and none had EEPROMs, secondly I actually have no physical space on the pcb left (!) and finally because I wanted to get it finished. It had been dragging for a long time and I really needed to get it finished or give up! :) It could possibly have been feasible to simulate the EEPROM with the PIC, but at that point I really just wanted it done. The jaguar cart has support for multiple EEPROM sizes through a custom CPLD. So given my current experience it may be possible to design it with a custom chip and have space for an EEPROM.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 3

Well, I'm not wanting to make page 72 of this thread go the same way as page 71. I've made my point and he made his, so let's leave it at that.

As for the Multi Card, now I know a bit more about it, yeah it's obviously a really good product. The snapshot option would have been a knockout but if that's not possible on the Lynx, then fair enough. I think the problem we all had with these devices years ago was that the storage was mounted physically onto the device, and when people upgraded to Windows 7, then Windows 10, the devices wouldn't work anymore (ie Tototek's wonderful PC Engine Flash Hu-Card for example). Using a standard such as SD cards means that is less likely to happen now. Never well served by these devices in the past (except Karri's), it looks like the Lynx has got in early this time.

Ok Spector,

Just for future reference really is no need for harsh tone towards others. This is a forum and sometimes the answers to your questions are already posted elsewhere in the forum so it won't be redundant. The link he gave you had all of the answers to most of your questions. Since it is a forum it does require reading comprehension skills which means reading "Everything" and not skipping over critical information as well as practicing patience.

Just sayin'.

On another note, I truly believe this Lynx SD is exactly what the doctor ordered. I have also just ordered the McWill LCD kit, :thumbsup: 40mm speaker, 3W mono Class D amplifier to power the speaker and give it more volume as well as some oomf in the lower end to drive the new 40mm speaker, and DC-DC converter fix kit just in case I blow something or it quits turning on. Putting this all together is as exciting as when I was working on a portable retro gaming system using a Raspberry Pi Zero W. :grin:

I'm looking for any other modernization upgrades that can be done on this wonderful device.

• Like 3

I have also just ordered the McWill LCD kit, icon_thumbsup.gif 40mm speaker, 3W mono Class D amplifier to power the speaker and give it more volume as well as some oomf in the lower end to drive the new 40mm speaker, and DC-DC converter fix kit just in case I blow something or it quits turning on.

tanooki2017, I am aware of the McWill LCD kit, but can you share any more info on the other mods you listed? Thank you

tanooki2017, I am aware of the McWill LCD kit, but can you share any more info on the other mods you listed? Thank you

Sure thing.

The extras that I am doing are for ones who feel a little more "gutsy" and have a bit of soldering & electronics skill under your belt. This is for my Lynx 2 since I only own this model.

Now for my disclaimer...umm yeah.

I DO NOT recommend this to any electronics novice. Be warned you could severely damage your Lynx if you don't know what you are doing.

I had to get that off my chest. Ok now to the fun stuff.

I am an engineer and deal with electronics on a daily basis so I took this project on as an extra challenge.

For the speaker, I purchased on eBay from China. It is a 2W 8ohm mylar speaker. It has a little more cone excursion than the Atari OEM speaker.

s-l225.jpg

Here is the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2W-8-Ohm-40mm-Dia-Metal-Housing-Internal-Magnet-Speaker-Loudspeaker-4Pcs/321872671173?epid=1141773395&hash=item4af11b31c5:g:PeAAAOSwZtlaRTya

For the amplifier, I decided against the 3W mono amplifier since my Lynx 2 has 2 LM386 IC's, instead, I ordered, also from China, a micro mini class D stereo amplifier. I will use this in place of the old amplifier.

s-l200.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Differential-Amplifier-Board-10W-10W-Class-D-Stereo-Audio-Amplifier-AMP-Module/201448801171?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Just to satisfy any nit-pickers, yes I am aware the amp says 10W, however that is absolute maximum if powered at 9V and running on a 4ohm load. I don't really have much to worry since I am using an 8ohm speaker and I don't plan on blasting my ears out while playing ElectroCop.

To power the amplifier I will use the same voltage that is supplied for the 2 LM386 chips. I also chose this amplifier because it has better characteristics over the PAM8403, It can run on more than 5V, also is a differential amplifier which will give me the ability to further increase the gain or use the negative feedback to produce a bass-boost circuit. Wiring this new amplifier will also require some rewiring on the headphone jack since the speaker output is BTL, not single ended. Yeah this is where the fun for some might end because this part will challenge you if you want a working stereo headphone output.

The speaker should not need any unnecessary modification for it to fit. You should just be able to pull out the old speaker and snap in the new 2W mylar speaker in its place.

The amplifier mounting is as simple as using Scotch Foam Mounting Double-Sided Tape or equivalent and finding a spare blank area to mount it.

I won't get into the specifics on how it all connects as it does require some technical and electronics know-how. Also, I have not received the parts from China yet as they will take some time.

Of course another way one could go about the amplification upgrade would be replacing both LM386 IC's with a stereo op-amp and piping the output to the headphone jack, This should be wired in a way that the audio on headphones comes directly from the op-amp, once headphone is unplugged, both channels of audio from the opamp are feeding the input of a 3W mono amplifier that is connected to the speaker. Both methods of the audio upgrade just as complicated. My way just requires less parts, less thinking, trial and error, and "tearing up". Lol

For the Lynx voltage regulator repair kit, I ordered from Console5.com

https://console5.com/store/atari-lynx-1-2-voltage-regulator-rebuild-refresh-kit-with-power-jack.html

Edited by tanooki2017
  • Like 3

Sure thing.

[...]

tanooki2017: Thank you very much for sharing your mod plan. Very interesting. I have no problem soldering, but I think I'll limit my mods to SainT's card and the LCD upgrade for the time being.

Are you planning on documenting your work on the Lynx once all the parts arrive? Something like pics, or maybe a YouTube video? Not trying to add to your workload, but if you manage to document it in any way and share the final result, I am sure it would be very well received. Heck, you could consider putting together a kit, perhaps.

In any case... thanks for all the info. icon_thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I received my card 2 days ago now!!!!

I'm reaaaaaallllly happy :)

Thanks a lot (and again) for this beautiful job (and customer care!)!

Well my problem now is the power-on failure :)

Looks like I will need to go through a complete Lynx resurection!

Thank you SainT!

• Like 1