IGNORED

2016 Flashback speculation thread

The Atari Flashback Portable? Yes, it takes full-sized SD cards. It goes in the top center of the unit.

Regular SD cards are easy enough to get lost but MicroSD are ridiculous. I myself never was a fan of media burned or stored on cards smaller than my thumbnail. Try picking a MicroSD off a smoothe countertop without the aid of your fingernails (I'm a chronic nailbiter so all I have is nubs)...

• Like 1

Regular SD cards are easy enough to get lost but MicroSD are ridiculous. I myself never was a fan of media burned or stored on cards smaller than my thumbnail. Try picking a MicroSD off a smoothe countertop without the aid of your fingernails (I'm a chronic nailbiter so all I have is nubs)...

In this case, it's kind of a load and keep inserted type of proposition, so either way it wouldn't have mattered much in terms of being easy to lose. There's probably only the occasional instance where you'll need to add games to the SD card with new homebrew.

• Like 1

In this case, it's kind of a load and keep inserted type of proposition, so either way it wouldn't have mattered much in terms of being easy to lose. There's probably only the occasional instance where you'll need to add games to the SD card with new homebrew.

Yeah. As for the harmony cart, I find myself adding ROMs all the time to try new stuff. In fact I have a No_Intro set on the Harmony but I rarely boot anything except the homebrew folder. Speaking of which, I wonder how well the Batari Basic stuff runs on the AtGames Emu. Assuming they support 32kb bankswitching, non DPC+ homebrews should work, but that depends on if illegal opcodes are supported properly. Last round of additions I made to my Harmony cart were for the CX-22 trackball hacks. Those won't be supported for obvious reasons... :P

What's odd about Frogger is how the Genesis conversion in the late 1990's had fully intact audio.

Whatever concerns that Konami now has about the audio didn't seem to be present as recently as 1998.

There's an interesting irony here as Sega was the publisher for its original 1981 arcade game developed by Konami.

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

It's possible rights were given for XX years and in '98 they were still valid/renewed but then let go.

Take Outrun Online, Sega had to pull it in 2010PSN/2011XBLA as they lost/didn't renew the rights to use Ferrari logo/depiction_of_products, I wouldn't be surprised they were still piggybacking on the rights from the original Outrun in the 80s (maybe they had a 30Y agreement).

• Like 1

...I wouldn't be surprised they were still piggybacking on the rights from the original Outrun in the 80s (maybe they had a 30Y agreement).

Doubtful, as I know certain versions of OutRun had a more generic logo on the back of the car. Couldn't name them all off the top of my head, but I believe the Dreamcast ports were this way (Shenmue, Yu Suzuki Game Works).

Even when they had one, I don't think that the Ferrari in the unlockable version of the arcade classic on Outrun 2 had the logo.

It was generic from the Saturn all the way to the latest conversion on the 3DS, even though Sega had a Ferrari license for various other products during much of this time period like Ferrari 355 and the Outrun 2 family.

At least Afterburner II is still a F-14 Tomcat. :)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Yeah. As for the harmony cart, I find myself adding ROMs all the time to try new stuff. In fact I have a No_Intro set on the Harmony but I rarely boot anything except the homebrew folder. Speaking of which, I wonder how well the Batari Basic stuff runs on the AtGames Emu. Assuming they support 32kb bankswitching, non DPC+ homebrews should work, but that depends on if illegal opcodes are supported properly. Last round of additions I made to my Harmony cart were for the CX-22 trackball hacks. Those won't be supported for obvious reasons... :P

I wouldn't count on it, but I can see. If there's something specific you think I should try, send me a PM and I'll test it. I still have a slightly early version of the hardware that's not as compatible as the final one should be, apparently, but it's still worth trying now. Unfortunately, the one that I have is not running as much as I hoped for at the moment.

• Like 1

I wouldn't count on it, but I can see. If there's something specific you think I should try, send me a PM and I'll test it. I still have a slightly early version of the hardware that's not as compatible as the final one should be, apparently, but it's still worth trying now. Unfortunately, the one that I have is not running as much as I hoped for at the moment.

If you get a chance, please try the "New Pacman" (8k) v6 ROM. If that works, I'll be a happy camper. :D

The latest NTSC ROM can be downloaded from this post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229152-new-pacman-for-atari-2600/?p=3525518

It's pure 8k bankswitch with no extra RAM or special hardware trickery so I assume it will run fine.

• Like 2

If you get a chance, please try the "New Pacman" (8k) v6 ROM. If that works, I'll be a happy camper. :D

The latest NTSC ROM can be downloaded from this post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229152-new-pacman-for-atari-2600/?p=3525518

It's pure 8k bankswitch with no extra RAM or special hardware trickery so I assume it will run fine.

Pac-Man 8K loads and runs, but the graphics are badly garbled, so it's unplayable. Maybe the final hardware revision will make it work, but I wouldn't count on it at this point because there are several games that need to be fixed to work and very little time (this is basically the final week for changes before production).

Mr SQL's DodgeIt_PA_RC1.bin loads and runs, but the graphics are also badly garbled, so it's also unplayable. As a Supercharger game, StarBlitz does what all Supercharger games do and that's load to a black screen with a high-pitched screeching.

By the way, you MUST use an SD card that's 8GB or less (I've used as little as 32MB), formatted to FAT, and it must be a pure SD card, no SDHC, etc.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 2

Pac-Man 8K loads and runs, but the graphics are badly garbled, so it's unplayable. Maybe the final hardware revision will make it work, but I wouldn't count on it at this point because there are several games that need to be fixed to work and very little time (this is basically the final week for changes before production).

Mr SQL's DodgeIt_PA_RC1.bin loads and runs, but the graphics are also badly garbled, so it's also unplayable. As a Supercharger game, StarBlitz does what all Supercharger games do and that's load to a black screen with a high-pitched screeching.

Curious if other CBS RAM titles like Tunner Runner work or if it has trouble displaying Empire Strikes Back.

One week left before production isn't much time, it's awesome they are working on a revision to improve compatibility! :)

Hope they delay shipping if they need to, I bet no one would mind waiting a few weeks more to be able to play more classics.

Are you sure it's 8GB? I don't think they make SD cards bigger than 2GB that aren't SDHC.

Doh! Yes, 2GB is the card that I'm using, but it officially supports up to 8GB. I haven't been able to get any in my collection to work with it, though. I'm trying to get a confirmed working list from AtGames so we have a pool of known good SD cards to share. In the mean-time, I'm going to continue to try and get something other than the 32MB and 2GB cards working on my end from my personal SD and microSD card collection.

• Like 2

This is unfortunate.

By the way, you MUST use an SD card that's 8GB or less (I've used as little as 32MB), formatted to FAT, and it must be a pure SD card, no SDHC, etc.

All proper 4Gb and 8Gb cards are technically SDHC though some counterfeit 4Gb non-HC SD cards exist. Also I believe the max supported drive size for FAT is 4Gb. Over 4Gb must use FAT32. Generally SD formatter defaults to FAT for SD (2Gb and under), FAT32 for SDHC (4Gb to 32 Gb), and Exfat for SDXC (64Gb or larger). Because Windows is stupid, you need a 3rd party format tool to format drives larger than 32Gb to FAT 32.

It appears it may be a known bug in how the SD card is being accessed, which explains why I'm having so many issues with finding working cards and why several ROMs won't even load. They're working on addressing that issue (as I would hope). I'll do a new round of testing once I get the retail hardware.

• Like 4

Here's the official game list for the Atari Flashback 7: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2016/09/13/atari-flashback-7-2016-official-game-list/

Here's the official game list for the Classic Game Console: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2016/09/13/sega-genesis-classic-game-console-2016-official-game-list/

Feel free to share the links in the appropriate threads.

Hopefully by next week they'll get the portables press release out and I can release those as well.

• Like 3

Thanks, Bill.

I hope the fair number of 2600 titles there that aren't on the upcoming console collections, some of which I don't really recognize, migrate to the XB1/PS4 eventually in a future compilation from AtGames (Minus Frogger and Space Invaders, I suppose, since they're not the 2600 versions). Or perhaps as a DLC package?

Is Solaris new to the Flashback lineup? Wasn't in earlier versions and i don't remember it in last year's model. I wonder if they had to license the code from the programmer, since my impression was that Atari seemed to only own the copyright for the title and game concept (Which is how it managed to appear in the original Atari Flashback despite never showing up in compilations and subsequent Atari Flashback systems, since those were recreations from scratch that were running on a NOAC).

Looking forward to seeing the portable game list. How does Battlezone run on it, by the way? Is the radar bug that usually would only would show 1 target when multiple tanks are present on earlier AtGames releases, been fixed with their next-gen hardware?

Battlezone always seemed to bring the worst out of their emulator in the early AtGames systems, before the IP was sold off and it disappeared from recent iterations of it. I've had game crashes, I've lost my last life and been able to keep playing with an invincible tank and a dead score counter, and all kinds of other oddities on the FB3 and FB4. But the radar was the most common and significant issue since it was always happening (And the radar is key to playing well).

Edited by Atariboy

Here's the official game list for the Atari Flashback 7: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2016/09/13/atari-flashback-7-2016-official-game-list/

Here's the official game list for the Classic Game Console: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2016/09/13/sega-genesis-classic-game-console-2016-official-game-list/

Feel free to share the links in the appropriate threads.

Hopefully by next week they'll get the portables press release out and I can release those as well.

Will Indy 500 work if I plug in driving controllers??? Ditto for paddle games with paddles...

• Like 1

Is Solaris new to the Flashback lineup? Wasn't in earlier versions and i don't remember it in last year's model.

Actually, Solaris was indeed in the Flashback 6.

Thanks for the notification. I've compared the lists to my records, and here's a summary of the content changes from 2015 to 2016:

Atari Flashback 6 -> Atari Flashback 7

- added Frogger

* (Secret Quest now has status screen access?)

Sega Genesis CGC 2015 -> Sega Genesis CGC 2016

- dropped Ecco the Dolphin

- dropped Ecco Jr.

- dropped Streets of Rage

- dropped Streets of Rage 2

- dropped Streets of Rage 3

- dropped Virtua Fighter 2

- added Eternal Champions

- added Phantasy Star II

- added Phantasy Star III

- added Sonic 3D Blast

- added Sword of Vermillion

On the CGC, we have a loss of 6 and gain of 5, for a net loss of 1 on the classic Genesis titles front. Unless there is a classic title I don't recognize that was accidentally slotted in among the 41 titles that start from Adventure in the Park, this year's balance is in favor of the generic games. :/ Gives a bit of a sour tinge to the otherwise good news of save capability and Phantasy Star.

onmode-ky

P.S. With a game called "Meatloaf Rotation," the naming of those generic games has taken a turn for the worse.

• Like 2

Actually, Solaris was indeed in the Flashback 6.

[...]

P.S. With a game called "Meatloaf Rotation," the naming of those generic games has taken a turn for the worse.

Cool they included it. What's the ROM list for the portable? Is it the full 101 games?

Meatloaf rotation. As in the band's concert schedule, or mom's leftovers? :rolling:

• Like 2