IGNORED

Sys-Check V2.2 ready-to-use batch available

tf_hh

Two users report problems with their Sys-Check. They work for some time (less than one hour), after they fail. In both cases Sys-Check starts, works up to 1 minute and then the screen gets garbled, computer hangs. Because until now I don´t have these both devices back, I can´t examine what´s wrong with them.

Last week I got both defect Sys-Checks back. Both really have an issue, one part has a defective SRAM, the other a bad 74HCT74 chip. Both failures doesn´t appear in my initial first test after assembling, but I´ve learned to test every Sys-Check now for 6 hours at minimum.

Other negative feedbacks doesn´t reach me, so I think, these both experiences regards only to bad parts - something can happen when handling with +20 years old components.

If anyone have an issue with one of my solutions, please contact me.

Jurgen

• Like 4

I want to change the #2 rom from QMeg to another OS rom, but for me the documentation about dip switches is confusing and I never succeed at changing the individual rom.. An idiots guide to dip switches for the new board would be helpful.

the SYSFLASH.XEX file reads the desired rom but the screen never turns WHITE.. or return no flash chip found.

• Like 1

I want to change the #2 rom from QMeg to another OS rom, but for me the documentation about dip switches is confusing and I never succeed at changing the individual rom.. An idiots guide to dip switches for the new board would be helpful.

the SYSFLASH.XEX file reads the desired rom but the screen never turns WHITE.. or return no flash chip found.

Yes, I got another feedback in the same direction. I will do it better and include tomorrow in the manual some simplified photos with the settings of the DIP-switches for each function. One picture told you more than 1000 words ;-)

Second thing is related to the post I´ve done some days before, the flasher´s instructions are only suitable for Sys-Check V2.1. I will publish the new flasher version in the next days.

Jurgen

• Like 1

ok! It is possible to upgrade V2.2 with the V2.1 Sysflash.xex. I kept trying for several more minutes and hit on the correct Dip changes and I got a good flash RED-WHITE-GREEN flash successful. Although I don't remember the exact Dip switches to toggle between the color changes.

I´ve added some useful (hope so!) hints to the manual. At the last pages of the new version of the manual you will find some graphical explanations how to set up Sys-Check and use the common functions and features.

Manual Sys-Check II English.pdf

Jurgen

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

maybe it´s nothing, only bad luck with two units. But in my opinion it´s better to publish this fact then being silent.

Two users report problems with their Sys-Check. They work for some time (less than one hour), after they fail. In both cases Sys-Check starts, works up to 1 minute and then the screen gets garbled, computer hangs. Because until now I don´t have these both devices back, I can´t examine what´s wrong with them.

Maybe one of the parts I purchased has an issue. I´ve tested every Sys-Check before shipping out of course the following way:

- One pass with Sys-Check firmware (memory test, O.S. test)

- One pass with activated extended memory expansion using XRAM.COM (Satantronic)

- One pass with MEMDRV.COM (tool for myDOS with excellent memory test)

All Sys-Checks shipped out passed these tests. Perhaps one of the chips gets defect after one hour of usage or so. Don´t know the exact reason until now.

So PLEASE all purchasers... test your Sys-Check. Let it work on any Atari computer for 2 hours. If nothing unsual happens (screen gets garbled, computer hangs), then all is fine. Otherwise please contact me. Of course I will exchange bad units.

Jurgen

Jurgen,

I have had my SysCheck2.2 for several weeks now.

On my known-good 130xe it ran fine several times in diagnostic mode, and also using it as an alternate/external OS mode.

On a different "bad" 130xe it identified a bad memory chip which i proceeded to replace and fix the machine!! Nice.

However, when i started using the Syscheck2.2 on my 800XL that's when i ran into issues.

At first, it ran fine on the 800XL. Both in diagnostic mode ( no issues found as expected...this is a known-good 800XL that I always use after all ), and then in the external OS mode it worked fine as well.

But then the next day I went to use it on the same 800XL unit again and had problems with flashing colors (background color flickers, characters turning different colors), and then it started to have garbled characters, and finally just completely turned the screen to garbage text, and eventually hung up the system, frozen.

Rebooting didn't make the issue go away, and i am still having this issue now.

Important note though, using it on the 130xe systems still seems to be working fine. No garbage or color issues, no hangs, etc.

Of course, when the Syscheck2.2 is used on the 800XL vs. 130XE there are different connectors involved (interfacing to the system) and also for the 800XL it requires the blue wire to be plugged to 5v pin 7 on the joystick port 2 (not required for 130XE usage ). So I am wondering if it could be something related to the unique SysCheck2.2 components in the circuit path for the 800XL interfacing?

Regardless, I'd really like to be able to use it on the 800XL as well, so hoping there's a fix. :)

Thanks!!

-Eric

Important note though, using it on the 130xe systems still seems to be working fine. No garbage or color issues, no hangs, etc.

Of course, when the Syscheck2.2 is used on the 800XL vs. 130XE there are different connectors involved (interfacing to the system) and also for the 800XL it requires the blue wire to be plugged to 5v pin 7 on the joystick port 2 (not required for 130XE usage ). So I am wondering if it could be something related to the unique SysCheck2.2 components in the circuit path for the 800XL interfacing?

Hi Eric,

First I would suggest: Bad contacts at the PBI. If you haven´t done this until now, remove the whole XL mainboard from the case and clean both sides of the PBI contacts with a rubber, so that all contacts are clean again. Examine the PBI connector on Sys-Check. Is there any of the contact guide broken or bend?

Garbage on the screen while the computer works further is often an issue around PHI2 signal. Sys-Check generates it´s own PHI2 for write accesss to prevent wrong data in the SRAM, but sometimes the timing at the XL mainboard is terrible. Especially the DRAM circuit at some XL mainboards has a lot of flaws. Mostly it works as long no expansions or mods are connected.

If cleaning etc. doesn´t work, try to change (from another or something you´ve in the drawer) the following parts:

- All DRAMs. Especially if they are from NEC with a "-3" marked (300 nS - norminal too slow for a 1,79/1,77 MHz machine!)

- The 74LS08 chip

- The 74LS375 chip

- The 74LS51 chip

Sometimes also the CPU itself has some strange timing. Also, if you had one, try another CPU.

Best idea, of course, check another 800 XL ;)

Good luck, Jurgen

Edited by tf_hh

Hi Eric,

First I would suggest: Bad contacts at the PBI. If you haven´t done this until now, remove the whole XL mainboard from the case and clean both sides of the PBI contacts with a rubber, so that all contacts are clean again. Examine the PBI connector on Sys-Check. Is there any of the contact guide broken or bend?

Garbage on the screen while the computer works further is often an issue around PHI2 signal. Sys-Check generates it´s own PHI2 for write accesss to prevent wrong data in the SRAM, but sometimes the timing at the XL mainboard is terrible. Especially the DRAM circuit at some XL mainboards has a lot of flaws. Mostly it works as long no expansions or mods are connected.

If cleaning etc. doesn´t work, try to change (from another or something you´ve in the drawer) the following parts:

- All DRAMs. Especially if they are from NEC with a "-3" marked (300 nS - norminal too slow for a 1,79/1,77 MHz machine!)

- The 74LS08 chip

- The 74LS375 chip

- The 74LS51 chip

Sometimes also the CPU itself has some strange timing. Also, if you had one, try another CPU.

Best idea, of course, check another 800 XL ;)

Good luck, Jurgen

Thanks Jurgen !

I disassembled the 800XL and thoroughly cleaned all the PBI gold fingers, but that didn't make any difference.

I have 3 130XE's and an 800, but this is the only 800XL that I have unfortunately.

I'll look into acquiring some of those other components you called out to see if I can replace them and find the culprit.

I have extra DRAM parts from the 130XE's ( 4264-15 ), but looks like the 800XL uses a different DRAM parts (HM4864P-2). So I am not sure if I can use the 4264-15 DRAMs that I have in the 800XL ???

Anyway, I really appreciate the suggestions you have provided so far.

And I also really like the SysCheck2.2 when I am using it on my 130XE's. In fact, the SysCheck2.2 is the reason i was able to bring one of the 130XE's back to life! :)

-Eric

EDIT....

OK: adding on to this. I tried the 4264-15 DRAM that i had laying around in the 800XL and it seemed to work fine, so I proceeded to replace each DRAM chip in the 800XL one by one and re-tested with the SySCheck2.2 after each DRAM swap. I continued to have the exact same results ( background color changes, garbled characters, and eventually a failure/hang ) even after replacing all 8 DRAMs. So, that doesn't seem the be the problem.

I'll have to move on to your next suggestion regarding the 74LS chips (but I will have to acquire some replacements first!).

Edited by erichenneke

• 1 month later...

Hi,

a new firmware and flashtool is availible for Sys-Check V2 series.

Sys-Check Files V2_2 Release 20160717.zip

The new flashtool now supports both Sys-Check PCBs equipped with a SST39SF010A flash chip (V2.1 and V2.2). When you start the flashtool, it will ask you which version you have. To be absolutely sure, the flashtool shows a simplified graphic view of both versions. I think, everybody can handle it :)

Of course the flashtool (and all other documents) are written in german and english.

Also there´s a new firmware V1.4 out. This firmware can be used with ALL Sys-Check versions - also with the old V2.0 (without flash). Owners of the V2.0 must burn the 16 KB firmware image into a 27128 EPROM. All other please use the flashtool to update their Sys-Check.

V1.4 has this minor changes:

- Sys-Check can be used with the U1MB expansion.

- The new version first checks the whole memory (to be more exact... the first 48 KByte) and then displays the defective bits (if there are any...)

- When bad memory within the first 48 KB is found, the upper 16 KB will not be tested

- If memory is fine, OS-ROM will be tested as before

- If both tests are fine, then pressing START after this will set Sys-Check into endless loop test mode. Memory and OS-ROM are tested infinite - until any error occurs

- During memory tests the background will be coloured red if defective bits were detected

Jurgen

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi NTSC Users,

does anybody has use the new flasher already? My questions affects to the graphical view of Sys-Check V2.1 versus Sys-Check V2.2. One user reports to me, that the picture isn´t stable and rolling top-down. I have one 800 XL with NTSC and connected to my multi-system television (PAL, NTSC, SECAM compatible) all is fine.

The display list for this screen doesn´t overrun the maximum for NTSC based screens.

Any feedback welcome.

Jurgen

Hi,

a new firmware and flashtool is availible for Sys-Check V2 series.

attachicon.gifSys-Check Files V2_2 Release 20160717.zip

The new flashtool now supports both Sys-Check PCBs equipped with a SST39SF010A flash chip (V2.1 and V2.2). When you start the flashtool, it will ask you which version you have. To be absolutely sure, the flashtool shows a simplified graphic view of both versions. I think, everybody can handle it :)

Of course the flashtool (and all other documents) are written in german and english.

Also there´s a new firmware V1.4 out. This firmware can be used with ALL Sys-Check versions - also with the old V2.0 (without flash). Owners of the V2.0 must burn the 16 KB firmware image into a 27128 EPROM. All other please use the flashtool to update their Sys-Check.

V1.4 has this minor changes:

- Sys-Check can be used with the U1MB expansion.

- The new version first checks the whole memory (to be more exact... the first 48 KByte) and then displays the defective bits (if there are any...)

- When bad memory within the first 48 KB is found, the upper 16 KB will not be tested

- If memory is fine, OS-ROM will be tested as before

- If both tests are fine, then pressing START after this will set Sys-Check into endless loop test mode. Memory and OS-ROM are tested infinite - until any error occurs

- During memory tests the background will be coloured red if defective bits were detected

Jurgen

After the 130 XE arrived, I flashed the new firmware. The flasher works fine, even on an monochrome monitor.

• Like 1

No problem seen with flash screen on my 800XL NTSC or my 130XE NTSC

No problems flashing through my 600 XL NTSC.

Hi,

thanks for feedback. Got some PMs, too. I think this was only a single-time issue. But if somebody has trouble, please report. Thanks.

Jurgen

I have one fully-assembled, working Sys-Check V.2.1 (i.e. minus the RAM expansion but incl. the OS-switcher) for sale after I bought V.2.2 recently.

If anyone is primarlily interested in the checking functionality as well as the OS-switcher, this might be a good chance. Price would be 25 Euros plus shipping (should be around 10 Euros to most parts of the world, less in Germany of course). PM me if you are interested.

F.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

that´s quite simple. Just use a wire from the upper side of the capacitor left to the cartridge port, that´s plus 5 volts. Solder the wire to pin 47 or 48 of the PBI. You can use the second one from the left. See the picture below - it´s easy.

Jurgen

post-15670-0-02384500-1476735043_thumb.jpg

• Like 2