IGNORED

Special Intellivision announcement - Saturday April 23 6:00 pm

Rev

As time passes I periodically scan documentation and post it on the corresponding archive. I'll get to those sooner or later. It's slow going because scanning is slow going. I treat it lick a background process.

i cant find a manual for mario bros. i know it uses the second button for player two (at least in emulation) so i assume its manual shows the paddles and not the joystick. Can you confirm this? Edited by pimpmaul69

Read these, that will make your head explode "Scanner's Style"...

Yeah, I remember those. That's why I'm not at all surprised that this happened ...

It wasn't trolling. For those who think so, you are wrong. Dead wrong. It was simply expressing one's opinion, while responding to others' opinions. In fact, I was attempting to reply to each post that was addressed to me. If you took the time to write to me, then you deserved a response. Your time is valuable. That's only fair.

That is all.

Quick, everybody on AtariAge, reply to Eric's thread multiple times, so he'll feel uncontrollably compelled to respond to each and every one of you! Maybe we can make him explode.

This is so exciting... it's like a press conference... the anticipation....

Tim, I missed your response with so much going on. That was the purpose of the announcement threads. To try and "liven" things up a little. Bring some of that joy back we all had as a kid in anticipation of a new game.

You made my day.

Thanks. Rev

I should just go to my own dead forum where its quiet and peaceful.

http://www.intellivisionforums.com

I'll head over there more so you don't feel neglected - with Eric gone, you won't have nearly as much attention. :-D

The map you have to the left of the forum topics is cool as it shows where members are located:

post-35483-0-37382900-1461636410_thumb.jpg

I'll head over there more so you don't feel neglected - with Eric gone, you won't have nearly as much attention. :-D

The map you have to the left of the forum topics is cool as it shows where members are located:

attachicon.gifmap.JPG

Yeah, I like that little map. Its always interesting to me how many people in other countries like retro gaming too.

OK, enough with the persistent negativity.

I mean really, what has Rev done other than convince Al to create a separate Inty forum here on AA which has become THE place on the interwebs to discuss our favourite console, which has helped many of us start, add to or even complete our collections as well as meet new like minded friends both in cyberspace and in real life.

Hear, hear!

I've been lurking around AA for .. christ, since the late 90s. Since the golden age of emulation, really, when this place first took shape and when I started collecting old games. I finally got arsed to create an account and post into the forums only a coupla years ago. Mostly just to get a few things from the Marketplace, if I recall. Honestly, there just wasn't a lot of interest for me here beyond the extensive reference material.

Then I discovered this little corner. As some of you already know, I'm not actually an Intellivision fanatic. It was very much a 3rd place console for me, out of the pre-crash systems. But then I discovered this wonderful little thing called IntyBASIC and an incredible community of people involved in the console, both the collectors and the developers. And it's taken over my goddamned life. In a good way, don't get me wrong.

You guys helped keep me entertained, and keep up a pseudo-constructive hobby, while I looked for work for the first time in my life. Which now consumes nearly every spare hour I have - and it's SOOO much more productive than just plopping down and watching TV. If it wasn't for you guys, I would never have gone to PRGE last year, where I met some great friends who I look forward to seeing again this year. And soon I will do something that I've never done before, something that I never in my wildest dreams even thought possible. All as a direct result of the great people here and the overall good vibe I've gotten from this place.

So yeah. Take that, negativity!

• Like 7

Hear, hear!

I've been lurking around AA for .. christ, since the late 90s. Since the golden age of emulation, really, when this place first took shape and when I started collecting old games. I finally got arsed to create an account and post into the forums only a coupla years ago. Mostly just to get a few things from the Marketplace, if I recall. Honestly, there just wasn't a lot of interest for me here beyond the extensive reference material.

Then I discovered this little corner. As some of you already know, I'm not actually an Intellivision fanatic. It was very much a 3rd place console for me, out of the pre-crash systems. But then I discovered this wonderful little thing called IntyBASIC and an incredible community of people involved in the console, both the collectors and the developers. And it's taken over my goddamned life. In a good way, don't get me wrong.

You guys helped keep me entertained, and keep up a pseudo-constructive hobby, while I looked for work for the first time in my life. Which now consumes nearly every spare hour I have - and it's SOOO much more productive than just plopping down and watching TV. If it wasn't for you guys, I would never have gone to PRGE last year, where I met some great friends who I look forward to seeing again this year. And soon I will do something that I've never done before, something that I never in my wildest dreams even thought possible. All as a direct result of the great people here and the overall good vibe I've gotten from this place.

Nice story. thanks for sharing.

Ahh yes.. The golden age of emulation. Surprisingly it isn't a time I'd rather go back and visit, unlike the "console years" themselves. It isn't fun to play on old emulators other than maybe for nostalgia sake. Oh sure, it was fun to see the games I thought I'd never ever play again come online one by one - through the magic of emulation. Nostalgia for old emulators is even more rarefied than the games themselves.

The console years were bright and happy and full of campy print advertising and TV spots on Saturday morning cartoons. The console years had catalogs which were colorful, cheerful, and the games actually got built out in a couple of years' time. The ads were inspiring and futuristic and painted a nice rosy picture. When we learned about a game it was typically 3-6 months away. And then it appeared magically on the shelf or in gramma's shopping bag. There were discussions in school. And we even had informal speculation contests to imagine what a new company would do. Or what a new game would be like. Very comfortable and welcoming. Going to the computer store or toy store was an adventure! Paging through EGM and similar was even more fun!

Contrast that to emulation development. Rather dry stuff, eh? Emulation evolution was rather slow going, tedious, and bug laden. Emulation was highly technical. Many emulators originated as university computer science experiments or class projects and assignments. Some simply as curiosities to see if something could be done. They were developed in relative secrecy and obscurity on newsgroups - which were technical enough by their very nature. Hardly anyone knew of the early emulators. There was no Emulator Gaming Monthly magazine or anything as colorful. Even the actual product itself is dull computer code that can only be downloaded and placed on an equally boring PC.

It would take many many years of emulator development and refinement, over 20, to get where we are today. And they're still at it! Contrast that against the actual console hardware - couple of years or less from drawing board to my living room floor.

Of course we're ignoring the years in which it took to develop the semiconductor tech used in the home consoles. Just as we are ignoring the years it took to develop the programming languages and PC infrastructure necessary for emulators to exist. Both have a history going back to the 1950's if you want to look at it that way.

I'm rather pleased the golden age of emulation is behind us, or is it? It's still seeing new developments and refinements far beyond what was thought possible. And just recently it is fit to bring back all the great times of gaming yore. Kinda like magic. How it screws with time and all that.

Edited by Keatah

Ahh yes.. The golden age of emulation. Surprisingly it isn't a time I'd rather go back and visit, unlike the "console years" themselves. It isn't fun to play on old emulators other than maybe for nostalgia sake.

The console years were bright and happy and full of campy print advertising and TV spots on Saturday morning cartoons. The console years had catalogs which were colorful, cheerful, and the games actually got built out in a couple of years' time. The ads were inspiring and futuristic and painted a nice rosy picture. When we learned about a game it was typically 3-6 months away. And then it appeared magically on the shelf or in gramma's shopping bag.

Emulation evolution was rather slow going, tedious, and bug laden. Emulation was highly technical. Many emulators originated as university computer science experiments or class projects and assignments. Some simply as curiosities to see if something could be done. They were developed in relative secrecy and obscurity on newsgroups - which were technical enough by their very nature. Hardly anyone knew of the early emulators.

It would take many many years of emulator development and refinement, over 20, to get where we are today. And they're still at it! Contrast that against the actual console hardware - couple of years or less from drawing board to my living room floor.

Of course we're ignoring the years in which it took to develop the semiconductor tech used in the home consoles. Just as we are ignoring the years it took to develop the programming languages and PC infrastructure necessary for emulators to exist. Both have a history going back to the 1950's if you want to look at it that way.

I remember my involvement with Intellivision emulation in the 'golden age'. It was exciting being one of three people in the world running an Intellivision emulator on a 486 with real hand controllers playing Baseball and reading on usenet about how Intellivision emulation 'didn't exist'.

When released, the emulation was surprisingly good for a Dos machine with a sound blaster. Breaking new ground was exciting but I much prefer today when there are many people writing new games and not just playing what was written before. Writing new games, after all, WAS the goal of writing the world's first Intellivision emulator.

Hear, hear!

1. What are/were your #1 and #2 consoles?

2. I'm hoping to be able to meet you (and others) at PRGE this year. My attendance isn't definite, but I'm really trying to make it happen.

Glad you finally joined the discussion. You hear that other lurkers!? :D Come play!

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

Hear, hear!

So glad you decided to join us here....and please say that that thing you've never done is what I think. :)