IGNORED

Special Intellivision announcement - Saturday April 23 6:00 pm

Rev

But YOU could... I could... we ALL could... if people like Rev would just slow down. How many times do I have to say this?

THEY are the ones making it impossible for ALL of us (including those financially drained) to own everything that comes out. It's nothing that WE'RE doing. It's what THEY'RE doing.

Are you, of all people, trying to play the victim card?

Try buying only 1 of each new homebrew instead of 2. Sell off duplicates to be able to afford new homebrews. Problem solved. :)

I'm just working out the logistics of what month... what week... when exactly... I will begin doing this. It may solve the problem, but I will always blame Rev for forcing me to do so. And with that blame, comes resentment. So I guess I will resent him forever. Not exactly a great business approach on his part, allowing for even ONE of his customers to resent him.

Sounds like a perfect plan! And no one is forcing you to do anything.

I'm not mad at Bugatti for making a limited number of Chirons.. or that we're not positioned to acquire one.. Am I? No. After I click the button I'm going to make a steak sandwich and take one of the wife's cars out for spin around town and think about classic games and Apple II material. After that, play some Missile Command.

There's this guy on ebay selling something for $1,200 I want. It's way too high priced. I'm not going to buy it because then I'd have to give up doing a night on the town over the weekend. And I'm not going to wallow in despair over not getting it. When something is out of reach I don't sulk over it. Enjoy the good times now. And you never know, someday, somehow, someway, an opportunity will present itself allowing you get whatever it is that's pissing you off right now. It'll just kinda-sorta happen out of the blue.

Same comes to videogames. If a ROM isn't being made available, sure, I might get pissed and depressed. But it doesn't last long. Life rolls on. The next day I'm playing something else or tweaking some emulator here or building this and that there. Eventually I forget about the game.

Being a completionist comes with it's own risks and rewards. The risk here is that you may not be able to ever achieve the goal. And if a couple of homebrews are threatening to make you bankrupt - you've got much bigger problems than finishing a dumb videogame collection. But I will assume that's a figure of speech and none of us are dumb enough to allow things to get that bad.

Personally I've found being a completist type of collector to be the most frustrating of all. There are always new variants and versions of things out there. There's always new titles coming out. Some at inopportune and inconvenient times.

So you either deal with it. Suck it up. Or change collecting styles. There were times I was bouncing off the walls and running around outside while waiting for an auction to complete (back the 1990's). But I have long since been happier with more flexible goals.

And part of the fun of a leisurely collecting pace is you can do it any time and not get your panties in a bunch. I wonder what I'll add to my Apple II collection next week? Next month? Who's to say? EXCITING!

• Like 1

Because nowadays, it's so easy to ban people just for expressing their honest opinions, right?

You've gone so far past expressing your opinion and well into verbally abusing Rev. I'd say it's now borderline cyber bullying. I'm wondering at this point if Al should get involved.

And part of the fun of a leisurely collecting pace is you can do it any time and not get your panties in a bunch. I wonder what I'll add to my Apple II collection next week? Next month? Who's to say? EXCITING!

you collect apple ii stuff. Definitely cool. I do have to ask, how difficult is it since so many games are impossible to find? I cant imagine what the big name games are selling for. I dont actively hunt them so i have no clue of what the rare games sell for.
  • Like 1

I honestly am having a hard time understanding the whole concept of trying to purchase "every single homebrew release" with no consideration for quality of the games. Maybe he is not thinking about playing the games at all. For awhile, I was buying every HB that would be released at a gaming expo I attended. I would up with some real crap. With more games coming out, I can still buy my 3-4 new homebrews a year and now I get more to choose from and I can pick only the very best. I can see complaining if you get a crappy game, but getting more options to choose from?

And no, a business should not cater to the feeling of every single customer. In the restaurant business, a menu item that is not popular, has a high ingredient cost and is logistically difficult to produce should be taken off the menu. When you do this, there are always one or two people that scream bloody murder as if you violated their civil rights.

You can't make everyone happy, and there are some people that just want to be miserable.

• Like 1

I mean really, what has Rev done other than convince Al to create a separate Inty forum here on AA which has become THE place on the interwebs to discuss our favourite console, which has helped many of us start, add to or even complete our collections as well as meet new like minded friends both in cyberspace and in real life.

Besides that he's only put out a ton of new games for us to enjoy, all the while investing thousands of dollars and countless hours in doing so.

Sure, he's put on generous contests and giveaways, making tons of fun new collectibles and cool items for us to collect.

Yah maybe he's helped dozens of people with their collections, often sending free systems and games as well as donating thousands of cart shells to a number of other game producers.

Other than that though, what has he really done besides causing heartbreak and financial ruin?

you collect apple ii stuff. Definitely cool. I do have to ask, how difficult is it since so many games are impossible to find? I cant imagine what the big name games are selling for. I dont actively hunt them so i have no clue of what the rare games sell for.

Extraordinarily difficult and I don't recommend it to anyone getting going today, you will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars. And more time. You will need hired help. You'll need to be a self-made millionaire. Instead I would suggest you get what you had as a kid and grow from there, at a pace you can afford. Take solace in that no one in the world will ever have complete Apple collection. Enjoy the platform and the good times you had with it.

It is therefore important to define the scope of a collection and stay within it.

I have a big stash of original disks from back in the day. So I have the advantage there. Been at it since the Apple 1 days of 1976 - 1977. The Apple II "ecosphere" is simply huge, and I know my repository will never be complete. Impossible. I'd need to hire out help and begin a museum. And even then the potential to drill down into minutia is smothering and choking.

So I just add things to it from time to time as I come across them. At a leisurely pace.

Some games can trade and actually move at $3,000 or so. Hardware ranges anywhere from a $5.00 disk controller card all the way through a half-mil Apple 1. Just certain chips with certain date-codes can cost $1,000 and upward.

On average an apple II game can run from $15 - $100. Some semi-rare ones move at $200 - $300.

Extraordinarily difficult and I don't recommend it to anyone getting going today, you will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars. And more time. You will need hired help. You'll need to be a self-made millionaire. Instead I would suggest you get what you had as a kid and grow from there, at a pace you can afford. Take solace in that no one in the world will ever have complete Apple collection. Enjoy the platform and the good times you had with it.

It is therefore important to define the scope of a collection and stay within it.

I have a big stash of original disks from back in the day. So I have the advantage there. Been at it since the Apple 1 days of 1976 - 1977. The Apple II "ecosphere" is simply huge, and I know my repository will never be complete. Impossible. I'd need to hire out help and begin a museum. And even then the potential to drill down into minutia is smothering and choking.

So I just add things to it from time to time as I come across them. At a leisurely pace.

Some games can trade and actually move at $3,000 or so. Hardware ranges anywhere from a $5.00 disk controller card all the way through a half-mil Apple 1. Just certain chips with certain date-codes can cost $1,000 and upward.

On average an apple II game can run from $15 - $100. Some semi-rare ones move at $200 - $300.

Have the disks survived bit rot? and considering the forum we are in, do you have Lock N Chase and Night Stalker for the Apple II?

All this sidetracking aside.. It bothers me to see the fun of gaming be ruined by all this "collecting". Are we the same kids who thought it was important to be discussing Sea Battle strategies at lunch time or recess?

Or are collectors fundamentally different? And just latching on to videogames because they look good on a shelf? Not saying either one is good or bad, better or worse.

This was a particularly confusing thread to read from the beginning, as both user names and profile pictures changed for each page. At some points, I had to go back to figure out who's who.

Seems like a typical day in the inellivision forum to me, although it did get a little Jaggy there for a while!

Have the disks survived bit rot? and considering the forum we are in, do you have Lock N Chase and Night Stalker for the Apple II?

I'm pretty sure I do. But disk images are available on several archives if you want to play them today right now.

So far I've not had any difficulty with reading some 4000-odd disks. Many were written to in the 70's and 80's. In fact, recent experience tells me that the user is more damaging to them through careless action rather than bit-rot.

In fact I just imaged a utility disk, which was dated like 1978. It even had fold marks in it and the floppy housing was creased. It read and duped alright. But then I erased it by putting it on top of my iPad. Praise the gods it was just imaged and not copy-protected so re-writing it wasn't a big deal.

Ohh sure it isn't the original bits laid down by the duplicating machine, but the information is intact.

Edited by Keatah

I'm pretty sure I do. But disk images are available on several archives if you want to play them today right now.

The question was more about original disks/manual/packaging, since it would be nice to scan that in high resolution. I had my original ms-dos version of Night Stalker up until about 15 years ago. I'm kicking myself for parting with it (and all the other older physical PC games)

revolutionika is no more

Final name change. At least for 365 more days.

Now Eric can't complain about Rev anymore. Rev does not exist. I have finally broken free of the suppression and abuse. Good riddance Rev. Thanks Eric.

so my premonition of a New Rev being unleashed upon us has come true :lolblue:

This also means we can't get the good ol' Classic Rev back for one more year :roll:

This was a particularly confusing thread to read from the beginning, as both user names and profile pictures changed for each page. At some points, I had to go back to figure out who's who.

All this did was to daze and confuse me.... which is pretty easy to start with... lol

I honestly am having a hard time understanding the whole concept of trying to purchase "every single homebrew release" with no consideration for quality of the games. Maybe he is not thinking about playing the games at all. For awhile, I was buying every HB that would be released at a gaming expo I attended. I would up with some real crap. With more games coming out, I can still buy my 3-4 new homebrews a year and now I get more to choose from and I can pick only the very best. I can see complaining if you get a crappy game, but getting more options to choose from?

And no, a business should not cater to the feeling of every single customer. In the restaurant business, a menu item that is not popular, has a high ingredient cost and is logistically difficult to produce should be taken off the menu. When you do this, there are always one or two people that scream bloody murder as if you violated their civil rights.

You can't make everyone happy, and there are some people that just want to be miserable.

Agree on all points. The more games, the more choices I have! This goes for all games, homebrew, commercial retail, shareware, freeware, any kind.

It is unfathomable that anyone would complain there are too many unless you're a completist collector - in which case you're doomed from the get-go.