IGNORED

It Will Soon Be Time...

I didn't think you were old enough to be there. Are you Adam or Steve? I would like to see your birth certificate please before you use the rest room.

Pfft. It wasn't Adam and Steve.

That Noah and his bleeding heart liberal propaganda has got to go.

what proof do we have that they arent all males?

Since you asked... the giraffes in the pic are probably both female as their horns are identical and not bald on top. Both male and female gazelles can have horns, but if they are antelopes instead then only the males have horns. Cannot tell about the elephants as only one set of tusks is showing so is anyone's guess. I don't see a veterinarian examining them before they board the boat and I'm sure Noah was a busy guy at the time so quality assurance was probably abysmal. :-o

Wait, what was this thread about again?

Since you asked... the giraffes in the pic are probably both female as their horns are identical and not bald on top. Both male and female gazelles can have horns, but if they are antelopes instead then only the males have horns. Cannot tell about the elephants as only one set of tusks is showing so is anyone's guess. I don't see a veterinarian examining them before they board the boat and I'm sure Noah was a busy guy at the time so quality assurance was probably abysmal. :-o

Wait, what was this thread about again?

not sure, but now its about "love boat"
  • Like 1

Interesting line of discussion... the reaction to the financial inability to maintain a complete collection. I had that reaction years ago when collecting PC 3D First Person Shooters or "DooM-a-Likes", from the 90's. When I realized that collecting "all" PC First Person Shooters and their add-ons" impractical to me, I changed. I already had hundreds, and I am actually a gamer far more than a collector. I collect to play. The change I made was to alter the approach or scope of my collecting... to Boxed titles only.

This was far easier than I had thought when I realized how silly being a completist really is to me. I suppose if that is the only aspect someone enjoyed, then it is... but in the end, it is just a choice.

Unfortunate to hear of someone leaving the sport because they can't win... I don't have to win anymore, playing is enough. :)

I am glad to hear there is so many new releases. :)

MrBlackCat

I also "collect" PC FPS games. Though I am limiting it to the Doom, Duke, Quake, Heretic, Hexen series. I collect "enough" to have a good variety for extended play. I have the originals filling one shelf and a handful of levels and mods to go with each. I tend to focus on the material I enjoyed back in the day.. with a little "now-n-then" accumulation "here-n-there"..

Trying to be a completist can be maddening regardless of how many resources you have at hand. And the time spent there is taken away from gaming. I gave that up a long time ago.

The leisurely pace of accumulation fits me very well and I’m always surprised when I come across something cool and desirable. No schedule, no disappointments, no hissy fits, no pressure all pleasure.

When I sit down to peruse ebay next week I have no idea what I'll want for my pile of Apple II and PC stuff. And I will not have spent days or weeks fruitlessly looking for something. It will come in good time. As it always has before.

Then I'll get all excited and stuff. It may be as simple as a manual, or a version of a program, or some spare parts. Whatever.

Edited by Keatah

oh we all loved Julie!!!

There is a retro TV channel that started replaying The Love Boat, and as I've watched the opening credits a few times I discovered that Julie is the only character mentioned by name during the opening credits.

During the opening credits they showed each character with a subtitle text with the actor name and their job title, but not their character name; except for Julie.

It was something like "blah blah as your captain", "blah blah as your doctor", "blah blah as your bartender", etc, and lastly "blah blah as Julie, your cruise director"

She was the little darling of the show.

• Like 2

There is a retro TV channel that started replaying The Love Boat, and as I've watched the opening credits a few times I discovered that Julie is the only character mentioned by name during the opening credits.

During the opening credits they showed each character with a subtitle text with the actor name and their job title, but not their character name; except for Julie.

It was something like "blah blah as your captain", "blah blah as your doctor", "blah blah as your bartender", etc, and lastly "blah blah as Julie, your cruise director"

She sure was!!!

Sounds like MeTV.

I watch that sometimes, lots of good old shows.

Not if the misery of losing stuff you've built up over many years is bigger than the money you'd get. I'm not in the collector world, but it's my impression that few people get as much out of selling as they put into their collections.

This post depresses me.

Edited by Eric7100

if it brings you pleasure, do it and leave the extra venting out of it.

I am 121 of 125 games plus a few homebrews/independents. Guess what I did with the boxes? Tossed them. It's about fun for me and not having and extra shelf of stuff to dust. Grab a cart, show the kids the fun of Dracula and Utopia and Dreadnaught Factor and Cloudy Mountain and then move on. I get no fun from watching a box.

Completism is a myth. Actually, it's more of a fool's errand if taken too literally. There's always something else that's either too rare or too expensive. The idea of a 'complete' collection is a limit, not an endpoint. You never reach it, you only approach it. Understand this, then you can decide what you really want in terms of your collection 8)

• Like 1

if it brings you pleasure, do it and leave the extra venting out of it.

I am 121 of 125 games plus a few homebrews/independents. Guess what I did with the boxes? Tossed them. It's about fun for me and not having and extra shelf of stuff to dust. Grab a cart, show the kids the fun of Dracula and Utopia and Dreadnaught Factor and Cloudy Mountain and then move on. I get no fun from watching a box.

Um.. if you acquire any games in the near future I would gladly take any boxes you did not want. I have no problem with people that don't wish to take up the space needed with all the boxes but, as collectibles, the boxes are best served going back out into the collecting community rather than just being tossed.

I'd be happy to give them a home :)

• Like 3

Not if the misery of losing stuff you've built up over many years is bigger than the money you'd get. I'm not in the collector world, but it's my impression that few people get as much out of selling as they put into their collections.

Correct. If I exclude the pièce de résistance my collection would be pretty much worthless fodder, aside from sentimental fodder.

So now we have a good argument for why I SHOULDN'T sell. Yes, I would be very miserable. Damn... this is getting more and more complicated.

Take your extras and bury them in a box in the backyard, like a pirate :ahoy: :pirate:

Then in a few years you can have a time capsule to dig up. That'll cheer you up :party:

• Like 1

Twice I have sold off my collections. Third time is the charm. Now that I've got all 125(all but 8 are cib) and most homebrews, I can never see myself selling again. For me, the hunt was the most fun. Once I received Spiker last year I was super excited but then a part of me was also a bit depressed. Now what? Variants I suppose, upgrades are also possible. The fact I have most but not all current homebrews just means I still have something to hunt for. As I said earlier, the hunt is the best part. As for anyone who is still on the hunt for some of the original 125, don't fret, there just may be another one of my give away contests coming in the near future, it's been a while! :)

Edited by mr_intv
  • Like 7

Um.. if you acquire any games in the near future I would gladly take any boxes you did not want. I have no problem with people that don't wish to take up the space needed with all the boxes but, as collectibles, the boxes are best served going back out into the collecting community rather than just being tossed.

I'd be happy to give them a home :)

and there's even my home ... ;-) ;-) ;-)