IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

Pretty sure only Albert sees the list and knows the order... Just gotta wait for an email. I'd be curious as well but not at the cost of slowing things down to tell everyone their number. I waited longer than I should have as I didn't realize it was ok to be on both lists. I'm not too far away on the RetroHQ but probably too far to get one from them. I'll be happy when it happens though and knowing my number on AtariAge won't make it happen faster.

Most useful thing would be knowing when to have the money on hand with a little warning. Would hate to get the notice 3 days before payday and be sent to the back of the line.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Why would you need a physical cartridge to go with a Jaguar GD? ?

Who said “copy” meant “physical cartridge”? ;)

While I’d be willing to pay the $60 or whatever they originally charged for the cartridge releases, that’s a pretty dry well. The rumors of a third run are extremely cold at this point so I’m hinting very hard that someone should release the ROM already.  I’d be more willing to put a little jingle in the tip jar for it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zerosquare said:

If by "someone" you mean the team that released the Jaguar version of Another World, contacting them directly would be more efficient than posting in a thread they may not read.

If not... asking for dumps of homebrew games is not right, and offering money for it is even worse.

This was supposed to be a playful and subtle implication but you just made it more serious so I'll be more explicit.  I'm just trying to get a conversation started within the community in the hopes that it will reach the team that developed it as it's not at all clear what they are and aren't reading these days.  If the growing community of Jag GD owners start asking this question it's my hope that it will get back around to them that more and more people want this and prompt them to either release it themselves or consent to have it released by someone else.  My "tip jar" comment was intended to indicate that I don't think they necessarily need to release the dump for free as I, and I'm sure others, would be willing to pay them for it.  I'm frankly offended that you'd even suggest that I was offering someone money to subvert them, but given that I've seen unscrupulous people ask for worse I get that you thought it necessary.

Edited by samson7point1
  • Like 1

As the Jag GD is made so that a ROM can be made to work only on it, it's not like they'd be releasing it to everyone with an emulator. They could easily sell the ROM for a few bucks and make some more money on it. There's already been some talk in this thread about a desire to see this, so I did think that's what you were referring to as well. I'd love to know a path to get in touch with the people that could make it happen.

6 hours ago, samson7point1 said:

While I’d be willing to pay the $60 or whatever they originally charged for the cartridge releases, that’s a pretty dry well. The rumors of a third run are extremely cold at this point so I’m hinting very hard that someone should release the ROM already.  I’d be more willing to put a little jingle in the tip jar for it.

I will not tolerate discussion of piracy of homebrew games here, and if I find you or anyone else distributing the Another World ROM either publicly on the forum or privately via PMs here, all parties will be permanently banned from AtariAge.

..Al

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

I will not tolerate discussion of piracy of homebrew games here, and if I find you or anyone else distributing the Another World ROM either publicly on the forum or privately via PMs here, all parties will be permanently banned from AtariAge.

..Al

Agreed.  Wasn't there talks of digital store distribution and serialized keys for JagGD to prevent piracy of rom based sales?  Support your homebrew!  Hell, I have bought homebrew games I haven't even played yet, just because people are dedicated enough to port / write new games for old platforms that I want to play them on! 

Side note, I wonder if we will ever be able to get the sequel to Another World or Flashback ported to the Jag / JagCD (not sure Fade 2 Black would even run all that well, the person with the rights ported it to the Dreamcast, and Heart of the Alien got an Amiga / CD32 port).

By the way, I got Another World for the Jag, and it is awesome.  Hopefully they do a third run, as everyone with a Jag should own it.

I know there's a way to lock a rom so it can only be played on the Jag GD. Is there a way to lock one to a certain serial number or anything, to prevent distribution among Jag GD owners? If so, that would make selling such downloads a bit less risky for the original creator and ensure they are the one making any profit.

Edited by Hastor

14 minutes ago, SainT said:

It’s something that could be done, yes. If someone with the rights wanted to distribute Another World as a digital download locked to a specific JagGD cartridge, that would be possible with a bit of work from my end.

I thought I had seen you mention as much.  Ha, I figured you could do Steam for the Jag, take a cut for hosting the 'app' store, but then you would be like Apple and have a monopoly for the stores.

• Like 1

Nice, I imagine something like that would be appealing to homebrew makers that might not want to do a run (or another run) of carts but still make some money from their work. I'll definitely let you wait until such a person asks for it, but nice to know it could be an option that could possibly encourage more homebrew.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Albert said:

..Al

I hope my subsequent replies made it abundantly clear that this was not my intention in any way.  If I had an inkling that it would have been received that way I would have have chosen my initial words much more carefully. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, samson7point1 said:

I hope my subsequent replies made it abundantly clear that this was not my intention in any way.  If I had an inkling that it would have been received that way I would have have chosen my initial words much more carefully. 

I'm glad to hear that, thank you.  That wasn't directed solely at you, but anyone who might have such inklings as the Jaguar GD gets closer for many more people to purchase.

..Al