IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

First batch of Freefall Limited Edition orders ship tomorrow! Signature Edition will take at least another month, as I am still waiting for the print items I have to ship to Europe to be signed by Ted T, then they have to be shipped back to me. Thanks in advance for being patient if you're waiting on the SE.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just tried out the Controller test program and chomp game on my Toshiba. (The Authenticated versions on DVD).

I have 2 HPI "jus' dpad" controllers I have never had working. Still don't work. Maybe they were prototypes with different wiring? My other controllers work fine (except a squishy R button on one of my logitec controllers).

Chomp is a better and more complete game than I thought (not to be confused with the VCS port.

It would be great to see Dark Orbit released.

So exciting that the authentication tools are working. Maybe I can write some homebrew!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, joeyaage said:

Just tried out the Controller test program and chomp game on my Toshiba. (The Authenticated versions on DVD).

I have 2 HPI "jus' dpad" controllers I have never had working. Still don't work. Maybe they were prototypes with different wiring? My other controllers work fine (except a squishy R button on one of my logitec controllers).

Chomp is a better and more complete game than I thought (not to be confused with the VCS port.

It would be great to see Dark Orbit released.

So exciting that the authentication tools are working. Maybe I can write some homebrew!

Get in on the NUON Discord!  Would love to see you get into the homebrew scene maybe get in on the next homebrew compilation at NUON-Dome :)  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, joeyaage said:

I have 2 HPI "jus' dpad" controllers I have never had working. Still don't work. Maybe they were prototypes with different wiring?

HPI controllers don't have the best track record, with some HPI Stealth controllers having been reported DOA out of the box. Sounds like you have the HPI Warriors, but still, it wouldn't surprise me if yours suffer the same fate. Retrostuff recently did an "under the hood" report on a Stealth controller and apparently HPI used HOT GLUE instead of solder on the board - wow!

16 hours ago, joeyaage said:

Agreed and that would be awesome! Cheers and Happy NUONing!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, joeyaage said:

FWIW, I briefly had a Toshiba where the controller ports didn't work, and on my Samsung, I have to plug the controller in pretty hard (I feel a second click or something) to get it to work. Could be the ports. Either way, worth getting someone knowledgeable to take a look at the rates controllers go for these days. They can almost certainly be repaired if they're broken.

• Like 1

Here is some real good stuff that has been going on you might have missed.

NUON controller update - Songbird's partner Wire has finally had success mapping my loaned Logitech controller to a button press.  The best guess from Songbird says we have something in 2023.  We also have the NUON controller schematic

?hash=7521f2a5ff90b867690488e783824d74

Dragonshadow, the only VM Labs employee that still talks to us has dusted off his NUON Dev Kit and is trying to see if we can old school BBS it so it can be shared for all NUON developers.  This is an awesome idea and we should try to do this.  Worst case we can do a remote thing on a schedule.

https://www.thehelper.net/threads/the-dev-system-lives.177148/

In that Dev System thread by Dragonshadow he also mentions how we can possibly do a BJL thing through the NUON controller.

I have also heard that the NUON C interface is friendly more people need to look into coding for NUON!  We need to make the environment to develop code more available if it takes Dev Environments on virtual servers TheHelper.net is all about that we should discuss stuff.

Edited by The Helper
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 9:22 PM, The Helper said:

In that Dev System thread by Dragonshadow he also mentions how we can possibly do a BJL thing through the NUON controller.

This is all cool about the controller, and that is what the Nuon needs, some way to review program changes easily either by a quick loading system like BJL or a SD card interface, or, as I did at one time, review under Nuance (emulator). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

After letting the dust settle for several years on my beloved N504 to my shock when I tried it the other day it couldn’t play nuon games or dvds and really struggled with music cds. When I last used it it worked perfectly. Is this a common issue? It was making lots of sounds like it was really trying to read the discs! Please help!

Yikes. Are the discs spinning up and it just won't read them, or just nothing? If they're spinning, I'd recommend opening it up and gently cleaning the laser lense with a Q-tip. That got my N501 working with more than one video DVD disc (and working with DVD-Rs at all), and my sd2300 working much better with DVD-Rs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ryanjagman said:

Hi all

After letting the dust settle for several years on my beloved N504 to my shock when I tried it the other day it couldn’t play nuon games or dvds and really struggled with music cds. When I last used it it worked perfectly. Is this a common issue? It was making lots of sounds like it was really trying to read the discs! Please help!

Sounds like it could need a new laser. 

On 12/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, AltRN8 said:

Let me know if you have any issues.

Yep, it works, looks very nice. Better frame rate would be nice. Also, I still have same problem with my analog joystick drifting during the game (Logitec gamepad). 

Any more homebrew games in the works that are playable in Toshiba nuon?

15 hours ago, AltRN8 said:

More homebrew? Funny you should ask!

https://archive.org/details/homebrew_202212

Has a rudimentary menu with a slight graphical glitch, but all the games should work. Once locked to CD-R now free to roam the DVD-R world. 

Enjoy!

Shout out to my Toshiba Bros!

Sweet - the # of people that can see some of my stuff may go from single to double digits :)  I feel fame is coming any millennia now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Switzerland was the only place Samsung NUON N504 Players were released that had controller ports. From my information there was a very limited number of these ever made. I have no links to back that up but here is the mention of the N504 and the controller port issue.

Does anyone have one of these players and does anyone in Switzerland even know what a NUON is?

We are trying to get all the NUON models together that have the Aries 3 chip and N504 is the only one of those players that had controller ports.

• Like 1