IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

2 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

That's cool though! What stuff?

When the public SDK was made available, I helped with some debugging and added a pause feature to the Chomp game.  I did a few super simple demos to just get some moving objects on the screen and learn the sound library, and finally started working on a Breakout clone.  I got as far as multi-ball and stereo sound, with a controller config screen.  I was not able to implement fixed point math for the velocity though, so it never played well.  There was no emulator at the time, and debugging support was dismal.  The development cycle was burn a CDR and test, and pray for no crashes.  The other thing that really sucked was simply moving a few lines of code would cut the framerate in half.  The complete lack of debugging ability finally just made me give up, but the emulator is now at a point where my game runs full speed.  I've thought about re-visiting it and maybe trying to finish it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

... but the emulator is now at a point where my game runs full speed.  I've thought about re-visiting it and maybe trying to finish it.

Oh good!  Maybe you could take a look at the Atari 800 emu too.  :D  See why that fire button acts like it is sticking.

Maybe then we can get Return of Heracles working for the Nuon. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 12:57 PM, Stephen said:

When the public SDK was made available, I helped with some debugging and added a pause feature to the Chomp game.  I did a few super simple demos to just get some moving objects on the screen and learn the sound library, and finally started working on a Breakout clone.  I got as far as multi-ball and stereo sound, with a controller config screen.  I was not able to implement fixed point math for the velocity though, so it never played well.  There was no emulator at the time, and debugging support was dismal.  The development cycle was burn a CDR and test, and pray for no crashes.  The other thing that really sucked was simply moving a few lines of code would cut the framerate in half.  The complete lack of debugging ability finally just made me give up, but the emulator is now at a point where my game runs full speed.  I've thought about re-visiting it and maybe trying to finish it.

Thanks for sharing! That would be really cool if you decided to revisit and finish it!

I do not want to hijack this thread,

just wanted to say that since last Saturday I am the proud owner of a nice N501,

incl. Controller and 12 physical games (4 original, 8 homebrews) in top condition 😍!

I'm primarily into ATARI 8-bit, ST/TT/Falcon and JAG64,
but Nuon - I have to confess to my shame - somehow never became seriously known to me,

so my joy is all the greater, because now I could spontaneously make a really good deal😎.

I am just about to read deeper into the matter and have already read a lot on the site "nuon-dome.com" and "Helper".

This is a very exciting topic for me and a new chapter in my (Atari)history and I am happy, to be part of it now 😊!

Cheers,

andY

my_new_501NUON_games_controller.JPG

my_new_Nuon Homebrew.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, andymanone said:

just wanted to say that since last Saturday I am the proud owner of a nice N501,

incl. Controller and 12 physical games (4 original, 8 homebrews) in top condition 😍!

but Nuon - I have to confess to my shame - somehow never became seriously known to me,

so my joy is all the greater, because now I could spontaneously make a really good deal😎.

I am just about to read deeper into the matter and have already read a lot on the site "nuon-dome.com" and "Helper".

This is a very exciting topic for me and a new chapter in my (Atari)history and I am happy, to be part of it now 😊!

Cheers,

andY

my_new_Nuon Homebrew.jpg

Awesome, and welcome! Looks like you picked this up from another NUON collector. Fun fact, that remote is actually from the European N504/505 but does, indeed work with the N501. I have a feeling that jog wheel about the bottom works better for gameplay than the N501's stick, assuming I'm correct that it operates as a D-pad of sorts for games. Reminds me of the Intellivision disc controller!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Awesome, and welcome! Looks like you picked this up from another NUON collector. Fun fact, that remote is actually from the European N504/505 but does, indeed work with the N501. I have a feeling that jog wheel about the bottom works better for gameplay than the N501's stick, assuming I'm correct that it operates as a D-pad of sorts for games. Reminds me of the Intellivision disc controller!

Thanks 👍!

Yes, it was a seller / collector from Germany.

However, he was a bit suspicious to me, but a friend of mine lives near the seller and therefore offered me, 
to test all things on the spot and to buy and pay only if there are no problems.

And it all worked out best in the end😊!

Cheers,

andY

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Hey welcome!   Always good to meet another Nuon fan!  :D

Yes! Thanks a lot😊!

I am also very happy to find like-minded people here!

The Nuon thread here on AA I would never have seen, if not "The Helper" would have made me aware of it on his website 😉!

Cheers,

andY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andymanone said:

Would it be ok if I ask maybe a few noob questions here at the beginning?

I'm trying to read up on the subject,

but I think the insiders here can certainly explain it better than various websites 🙂.

Cheers,

andY

I sure hope so.  Ask all your questions!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, andymanone said:

Would it be ok if I ask maybe a few noob questions here at the beginning?

I'm trying to read up on the subject,

but I think the insiders here can certainly explain it better than various websites 🙂.

Cheers,

andY

Yeah man! This thread as well as The Helper NUON-DOME forums and The Helper/NUON discord are your best resources to ask questions and get answers, so fire away!

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:11 AM, andymanone said:

Cheers,

andY

my_new_Nuon Homebrew.jpg

Nice! IS3 is s great game! At some point you gotta grab Tempest 3000. Good times. I’m often tempted to travel down to NM and dig up my Nuon just to play a few rounds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Oh snap, NUON USB controller adapter preorder! https://controlleradapter.com/products/nuon-usb

On the pre-order list.

4 hours ago, Songbird said:

Yes, that is cool to see. Also, our N64 controller adapter is in the final test stages, and is confirmed to work on the N501 and SD2300. We expect to open pre-orders in January! Lots of options for Nuon fans starting in 2023. ;) 

image.png.da8026917972e3b8f2b76e2a1640911a.png

Will be on the pre-order list for this too.

As you can see - I like being on lists!  Crazy - 2023 and I will be spending money on new Nuon items, probably the first time since 1999 or maybe 2000.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Will be on the pre-order list for this too.

As you can see - I like being on lists!  Crazy - 2023 and I will be spending money on new Nuon items, probably the first time since 1999 or maybe 2000.

The NUON-to-USB adapter is also already pre-ordered 😎

But sorry for the stupid question: Where can I find the pre-order option for the N64 controller adapter? 

Cheers.,

andY

• Like 1