IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Well, you can't please everyone, of course. Maybe in 2018 all of that will happen. The new additions in 2017 are definitely cool, though, and, I think, outside of perhaps yourself, will probably excite a lot more people around here than in the past. Even I'm really into the new stuff, and I'm rather numb to it all after all these years.

I am, if not "excited", interested in what each years offering has. I was simply stating that having both standard controller ports (which is the case now) and an SD card slot (which is on the portable) would be the combination to get me to go from interested to excited. Whatever the "new additions" are, I'll reserve judgment until I see them. Perhaps they will get me more excited but as for the Portable, I can't give it a thumbs up.

Edited by AtariLeaf

So we have a hack now for the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom thanks again to Nukey Shay.

Also Bloody Human Freeway and Freeway. (And I believe I mentioned Defender 2 the other day.)

Videos of the game play and links to the roms can be found around this link in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259166-flashback-portable-needed-controller-hacks/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3670883

• Like 3

BTW Bill, my suggestion for the Flashback Portable (2018).

Player two support. Hook up a AFP to slave to another AFP. It shares the game and display of the master AFP and becomes a controller 2 for a two player game!

SELL TWICE THE ATARI FLASHBACK PORTABLES. ;)

(Set it up to use a regular USB hub for four friends to play the ultimate vicious game ... WARLORDS!)

• Like 2

Featured this morning on AFP GTG (Atari Flashback Portable: Good To Go) we have Palomino, Pixels, Bloody Human Freeway, the last version of Star Raiders 2600, a graphically enhanced Double Dragon made to work for the AFP, and the first two player game for the AFP... FREEWAY!!

Episode 6 and entire AFP GTG playlist can be found here :

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

Atari Leaf, Leave it plugged in for about 11 hours on the first time charging it.

Yes it takes that long on the first charge, I thought mine wasn't charging either.

Any loading problems will be your SD card, bad card, wrong size, bad formatting etc.

Use SD Formatter, it is available for PC or Mac. 8GB or less for SD card.

Atari Leaf, Leave it plugged in for about 11 hours on the first time charging it.

Yes it takes that long on the first charge, I thought mine wasn't charging either.

Any loading problems will be your SD card, bad card, wrong size, bad formatting etc.

Use SD Formatter, it is available for PC or Mac. 8GB or less for SD card.

I haven't tried an SD card yet, I was trying the portable just out of the box. I did have it plugged in for the whole day before trying it in the evening so it was close to 11 hours at that point. Would not having a full charge cause menu crashing or freezing up? Anyone else notice this?

I think you just had a dud. It happens, especially with AtGames. This has to be a tough business financially to compete in and corners have to be cut to make everything line up, which is sadly noticeable at times such as the rate of defects.

I'm having fun with mine, but I do wish the build quality was better. The d-pad didn't seem bad at first, but does give me fits at times now that I've used it more. And playing something like Joust, you really start to wonder how much abuse that fire button could endure. It doesn't have the feel of something that inspires confidence.

Since I'll likely buy the hopefully improved sequel in a year, I don't mind too much. But I'd love to see it improve where it feels less like a throwaway product. I'd rather pay $5 more and have a Nintendo/Sega quality d-pad and at least a high quality fire button.

They can skimp a bit on something like the reset button and it won't be a killer since it isn't going to see the same degree of use, but those other two areas sure could stand some improvements for both playability and longevity.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I think you just had a dud. It happens, especially with AtGames. This has to be a tough business financially to compete in and corners have to be cut to make everything line up, which is sadly noticeable at times such as the rate of defects.

I'm having fun with mine, but I do wish the build quality was better. The d-pad didn't seem bad at first, but does give me fits at times now that I've used it more. And playing something like Joust, you really start to wonder how much abuse that fire button could endure. It doesn't have the feel of something that inspires confidence.

Since I'll likely buy the hopefully improved sequel in a year, I don't mind too much. But I'd love to see it improve where it feels less like a throwaway product. I'd rather pay $5 more and have a Nintendo/Sega quality d-pad and at least a high quality fire button.

They can skimp a bit on something like the reset button and it won't be a killer since it isn't going to see the same degree of use, but those other two areas sure could stand some improvements for both playability and longevity.

Agreed, it's too bad because I was looking forward to having one but I can wait another year and see what version 2 has in store. I still say an existing Flashback 7 with an SD card slot would be fantastic, and HDMI but that would probably bump up the price too much, I don't know.

What I do know is paddle games are a joke with the portable and shouldn't even be included. Too frustrating to play with a D-pad, there's just no point.

• Like 3

Agreed, it's too bad because I was looking forward to having one but I can wait another year and see what version 2 has in store. I still say an existing Flashback 7 with an SD card slot would be fantastic, and HDMI but that would probably bump up the price too much, I don't know.

What I do know is paddle games are a joke with the portable and shouldn't even be included. Too frustrating to play with a D-pad, there's just no point.

As of right now, it's looking like there won't be many changes to the Atari portable other than a greater and different mix of games and some associated emulation tweaks. I'll continue to keep everyone posted as things develop and I'm able, though. Even without the associated SD card slot, I think the higher end SKU may hold some interest on the Atari console side. We'll see.

• Like 3

Bill can't say, but if I had to guess:

The next Atari Flashback console (not portable) will have wireless controllers. NOT based on infrared, but another more modern protocol, and they will also work with an original Atari 2600!

If that's going too far, then the Flashback console might have Bluetooth and be compatible with other Bluetooth controllers, although they will probably goof that up as well.

As of right now, it's looking like there won't be many changes to the Atari portable other than a greater and different mix of games and some associated emulation tweaks. I'll continue to keep everyone posted as things develop and I'm able, though...

Any word on if there's a database file we can add to the SD card for screenshots and naming, like the Genesis version's MDB.DAT? If not, maybe would there be in the next version?

Atari Flashback related?

Screenshot_2017-01-16-07-01-50_zpssithon

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334555

Love all the ignorant kids there that don't realize that this business segment existed before the NES Classic Edition appeared and that we've had numerous Atari branded plug and plays of one sort or another for well over a decade at this point.

Any word on if there's a database file we can add to the SD card for screenshots and naming, like the Genesis version's MDB.DAT? If not, maybe would there be in the next version?

Last I was there that was supposed to be something added back in for the 2017 version. I'm not sure it will actually make it in (big workload at the moment), though, but it's something that they acknowledge as missing for the current version.

• Like 1

Actually, against my advice, it looks like there will be standard tier systems and premium tier systems, so all is not lost for those who for some (insane to me) reason prefer composite. Either way, it will still be updated hardware inside.

Why is it insane to prefer composite?! It's what these particular video games were originally designed for?!

When in the music industry there's an ongoing debate between original analog vinyl records that are still being made versus digital compact disc remasters...

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 2

Because it looks awful on the television's of today.

Because most people who work here in the Inland Empire of SoCal do so at Warehouse that only pay a paltry $11.50 an hour even after almost 6 years, living paycheck-to-paycheck and thus can't afford today's televisions.

That stinks and I sympathize since I also can't afford to just go out and buy an expensive new television, but we're over a decade into the era where HDTV's reached the mainstream in this country. Penetration rates of HD televisions are extremely high and now represent 90% of US households. That you lack at least one television set that is HD ready with a HDMI input puts you in a small minority in this country today.

For most people out there, a HD ready game system connected via HDMI will give them a far superior picture to your alternative, which is what our point has been. And with HD televisions out there without even a composite input now being a thing, soon a manufacturer like AtGames will be forced to change or see their potential customize base shrink in the coming years.

So I'm afraid that much as the mainstream console world will have fully left standard definition support behind for their primary platforms when the Wii U is retired in March, the plug and play market is next. We're already seeing the shift in action such as the NES Classic Edition eschewing SD support of any sort and AtGames shifting at least some of their upcoming 2017 lineup to HD HDMI output.

On the bright side, your classic consoles likely look much better than they do for most of those that have left the world of standard definition CRT's behind. :)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Because most people who work here in the Inland Empire of SoCal do so at Warehouse that only pay a paltry $11.50 an hour even after almost 6 years, living paycheck-to-paycheck and thus can't afford today's televisions.

You can get a good 40" TV for less than $300, so I don't really see the issue. It's not like it's the type of purchase you have to make each year.