IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

I just caught those elsewhere, wondered if this thread was woken up over it.

The handheld you know I'm keeping an eye on to see how that turns out. The press release almost makes you want to believe you can do save games on any game with save support, but at the same time I wonder if it's just for those included inside the system alone. And I know in a release like that the audio can't be discussed as it would be tantamount to admitting to selling shoddy goods saying 'now the music is correct.' I await their arrival and public reviews by early owners unless something gets dug up earlier.

I just caught those elsewhere, wondered if this thread was woken up over it.

The handheld you know I'm keeping an eye on to see how that turns out. The press release almost makes you want to believe you can do save games on any game with save support, but at the same time I wonder if it's just for those included inside the system alone. And I know in a release like that the audio can't be discussed as it would be tantamount to admitting to selling shoddy goods saying 'now the music is correct.' I await their arrival and public reviews by early owners unless something gets dug up earlier.

Again, no major changes from the previous version for the SD and handheld stuff. There are some audio tweaks, but still nothing like it should be. You can only save the RPG games.

Here are all three press releases: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

RIP. Too late for me unfortunately, since I already asked for a Flashback 7, I don't think I'd be allowed to ask for a FB 8 .~. Glad and surprised to see they finally were able to get licensing(?) to include Activision games though. Guess I'll try saving up for one.

Edited by Tangentg

Do you feel maybe next year they'll take the step and get the sega handheld on a similar page with the console (full save, fixed audio, random games like Contra working that don't?) I just want to figure out if I'm wasting my time holding out or not is all. It's like you'd almost be better off some one of those ARM based chinese knockoff handhelds that run an emulator anyway and ROMs thrown on a SD card to get what's necessary -- but that's shady and I'd rather not go that route.

Do you feel maybe next year they'll take the step and get the sega handheld on a similar page with the console (full save, fixed audio, random games like Contra working that don't?) I just want to figure out if I'm wasting my time holding out or not is all. It's like you'd almost be better off some one of those ARM based chinese knockoff handhelds that run an emulator anyway and ROMs thrown on a SD card to get what's necessary -- but that's shady and I'd rather not go that route.

I can't honestly say at this point in time. There's better handheld hardware at the ready, but I'm not sure if it will be implemented for 2018 as of yet. I'm also hoping this is the last year for the SD consoles. Again, it's just too early to know, especially considering the 2017 products are still in process.

Fair enough. The fact you're saying there is something but just not this year and maybe or maybe not for the next I can wait it out. I like the handheld side build quality of the unit, it controls nicely and is comfortable. It's just the glitches, so if I need to wait 18mo to get a dedicated Genesis handheld that works right I'm fine by that. Far better off with that than going big brick Nomad and an everdrive as clunky as all that is, or one of those dingoo or gpx handhelds that's just well overkill.

The SD slot is the main reason people would buy the Portable. If it didn't have that I wouldn't have bought it. Cause of all the good games they could have chosen to put on there, they managed to put in a ton of bad ones and only like 5 decent ones.

Edited by Tangentg
  • Like 1

The SD slot is the main reason people would buy the Portable. If it didn't have that I wouldn't have bought it. Cause of all the good games they could have chosen to put on there, they managed to put in a ton of bad ones and only like 5 decent ones.

That's one perspective. Another perspective is that a portable Atari 2600 would have still sold about the same. SD card slots are probably more for the enthusiast crowd than the mass market. I'm still all for them either way, however.

• Like 3

I'm guessing you're talking flash kit+roms since you can use those DS kits on 3DS.

Nope, I'm talking about softmodding the 3DS. The homebrew community for it is much, much smaller than what the DS had, and seems to be pretty dead already, but there's a few good emulators for it.

The jEnesisDS emulator (on the DS) isn't really that great, but still impressive, considering. Plus, IIRC, the guy that made it got hired to port the Sonic collection to DS.

...oh, yeah, and there's a small handful of Genesis games in the Sega 3D Classics line =)

Nice and all, and an option, but rather would get a dedicated handheld.

I agree, I just thought I'd put it out there.

I know, and to be fair I have no knowledge of the 3DS along those lines. The first couple years I was curious if they'd ever crack it to run ROMs or whatever and no progress was made other than lazies making DS kits work on 3DS so I blew it off.

Don't most homebrew exploits still require the Cubic Ninja game? LOL it went from a $5 game to $40 overnight.

Perhaps I'm reading the press releases wrong, but the FB portable has Namco-licensed games and the regular FB doesn't?

Anyway, Namco and Activision games makes for a pretty strong lineup on the portable. Even though I already have a 2016 version with a packed SD card, I might consider a 2017, especially if there are any improvements in the system and/or compatibility.

Don't most homebrew exploits still require the Cubic Ninja game?

Sorry to go off topic, but no, there are a lot of exploits now. Some of them are for programs you can get for free off the eShop. I used the web browser exploit to install the IronFall exploit, both of which have since been patched. Cubic Ninja still surprisingly works, though, if you have it.

• Like 2

Sorry to go off topic, but no, there are a lot of exploits now. Some of them are for programs you can get for free off the eShop. I used the web browser exploit to install the IronFall exploit, both of which have since been patched. Cubic Ninja still surprisingly works, though, if you have it.

I got mine from a Hastings (R.I.P. Hastings :skull: ) store a couple months after the exploit was discovered. I didn't realize it at the time but I was holding a rental case. The cashier looked up the game's history and it didn't get rented a single time since the game released in 2011, so he voided the rental from the system and sold it to me CIB for $10. Nice guy. The rental sticker pulled off clean and I have a nice CIB copy of the game, however I never tried to exploit the system because I had a huge VC and eShop collection, including all the GBA Ambassador games. I've got a spare 3DS xL now that I transfered all my game data over to the N3DS, so it may be worth messing around on the old one.

I got my Flashback Portable over the weekend. I loaded a bunch of ROMs onto SD card and I can say that as I'm kicking the tires on this thing I'm getting more disappointed with how many games don't work.

Any reason why they put an almost arcade perfect Frogger on this device? Not complaining - it's just out of place.

I got my Flashback Portable over the weekend. I loaded a bunch of ROMs onto SD card and I can say that as I'm kicking the tires on this thing I'm getting more disappointed with how many games don't work.

Any reason why they put an almost arcade perfect Frogger on this device? Not complaining - it's just out of place.

Check out the compatibility thread. Many of them have been hacked to work with the portable. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/

There was some kind of music licensing issue with the original Frogger game(s), which also almost explains why the AtGames one has no music.

Check out the compatibility thread. Many of them have been hacked to work with the portable. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/

There was some kind of music licensing issue with the original Frogger game(s), which also almost explains why the AtGames one has no music.

EDIT: Nevermind...

Thanks

• Like 1

I've got a spare 3DS xL now that I transfered all my game data over to the N3DS, so it may be worth messing around on the old one.

A lot of homebrew takes advantage of the faster processor of the N3DS, though. I never tried the SNES emulators on my "old" model, so I don't know how significant the improvements are, but you can enable commercial games to use more processor, and I know games like Code of Princess and Zombie Incident move much more smoothly. Just something to consider.

A lot of homebrew takes advantage of the faster processor of the N3DS, though. I never tried the SNES emulators on my "old" model, so I don't know how significant the improvements are, but you can enable commercial games to use more processor, and I know games like Code of Princess and Zombie Incident move much more smoothly. Just something to consider.

It's cool. I'm just not going to tamper with my daily driver N3DS system considering all the stuff I've downloaded over the years.