IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

I can hear and understand everything being said except.... when the alert alert or alarm alarm is said... everyone thinks it's saying a lie a lie or Allie Allie unless we are saying aline aline? It's the only thing we can't make out... all else is spot on...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I can hear and understand everything being said except.... when the alert alert or alarm alarm is said... everyone thinks it's saying a lie a lie or Allie Allie unless we are saying aline aline? It's the only thing we can't make out... all else is spot on...

I have exactly the same problem :) "Blast off" is clear, but supposed "Alert" message (see "Game Play" section here) sounds as "Allie" to me.

Edited by +Adam+
  • Like 1

the apple sound, is not technically incorrect the sound are from versions in other locations, you might grab the sample from the other conversion..

maybe it is a Japanese word that sounds like A lie or Allie or Alive.....

I have looked and you right a number of coin ops say it as you have recorded it!

a poor translation from English to Japanese alert can mean alive, maybe we discovered something here..

Edited by _The Doctor__

bosco64NTSCs - don't use 'LAX' command (slower)

Only 64k NTSC version use LAX command.

I'm still confused which versions do and don't use the LAX command.

From what you're saying I'm guessing:

bosco64PAL.xex (No LAX Command)

bosco128PAL.xex (No LAX Command)

bosco64NTSC.xex (Uses LAX Command)

bosco64NTSCs.xex (No LAX Command)

bosco128NTSC.xex (No LAX Command)

bosco128NTSCe.xex (No LAX Command)

Is this correct?

If so, I guess my response would be that I'd like to see one 128K NTSC version with the LAX command,

since this is the main version I'll be playing on a 6502C machine.

Samples use Pokey IRQ with 4Khz, fast procedure on page 0. When I play sample all unnecessary operation are off (change score, change panel elements), max 3 soft sprites on screen. VBLK IRQ must be very short.

Pokey IRQ procedures:

org 128+4
pok0	equ *
		sta pok0a+1
probka	equ *		
		lda #$ff
		sta AUDC4
		sty pok0b+1
		lda #0
.IF .DEF A800		
		sta IRQEN
.ENDIF
		sta $fffe
sam		equ *+1
		lda $ffff
		tay
		ora #%10000
		sta probka+1
		lda sampleDiv,y  ;tab = /16 ora %10000
		sta probka1+1

inc sam
		beq pok0end

@		lda sam
sam1	equ *+1
		cmp #$ff	;sam1
		beq @+1

.IF .DEF A800		
@		lda #4		;reset pokey
		sta IRQEN	
.ELSE
@		inc IRQEN    ;fast pokey reset, does not work on A800 emu
.ENDIF

pok0a	lda #$ff	;register A
pok0b	ldy #$ff	;register Y
		rti

@		lda sam+1
sam1s	equ *+1
		cmp #$ff
		bne @-1

dec repeat    ;alarm alarm
		beq @+
sam2	equ *+1
		lda #$ff
		sta sam
sam2s	equ *+1
		lda #$ff
		sta sam+1
		jmp @-1

@		lda #0		;OFF IRQ
		sta sirq
		sta IRQEN

lda pok0a+1
		ldy pok0b+1
		rti

pok0end	inc sam+1
.IF .DEF A800
		lda #4
		sta IRQEN
.ELSE
		inc IRQEN
.ENDIF
		lda pok0a+1
		ldy pok0b+1
		rti

org 0
pok1	equ *		;second half
		sta pok1a+1
probka1	equ *
		lda #$ff
		sta AUDC4

.IF .DEF A800		
		lda #0
		sta IRQEN
.ENDIF		
		lda #4+128
.IF .DEF A800		
		sta IRQEN
.ELSE
		inc IRQEN ;fast pokey reset
.ENDIF
		sta $fffe

pok1a	lda #$ff
		rti		

;		
Edited by shanti77
  • Like 4

Currently there is a trend that you must change cpu to 16bit for smooth efects, fortunately there are still coders who can write smooth code without the need to modify the hardware

You're exaggerating: people are interested using 65816 because it's possible, plausible, and it's fun to see what can be done. The problem for them is that they need software to be compatible. I don't think the existence 65816 upgrades should keep people from using illegal ops when they're of benefit to a production. But, I do think it's a reasonable request that compatible versions be made available, if they can be done with a minimal amount of difficulty to the one doing the coding.

• Like 1

I would like to thank the developers for a wonderful port. I am not a Bosconian expert, btu I think it plays very well. Right now, I stink at the game but the fault is all mine :-)

I especially want to thank them for a 64k NTSC port so I can play it on my XEGS rather than having to depend on the awesome Altirra. I miss the voices, but Im glad they still produced a 64k version.

Well done!

Bob C

• Like 3

I would like to thank the developers for a wonderful port. I am not a Bosconian expert, btu I think it plays very well. Right now, I stink at the game but the fault is all mine :-)

I especially want to thank them for a 64k NTSC port so I can play it on my XEGS rather than having to depend on the awesome Altirra. I miss the voices, but Im glad they still produced a 64k version.

Well done!

Yes, it's very good version of Bosconian that exceeded my initial expectations and a real bonus to have all these different versions. And to top it all off, it's free.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 6

It really does deserve the full treatment... box, cart, disk, manual perhaps a save function for scores... Atarimax carts and or floppy can do that... it's so well done it deserves that kind of permanence, a physical existence.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 5

You're exaggerating: people are interested using 65816 because it's possible, plausible, and it's fun to see what can be done.

people exchange 16bit processor for benefit, you've heard about the trend of exchanging processors on 6809, because it can be done?

It made me laugh (and trust me I don't feel much like laughing at the moment) when I heard the "A lie" and heard thanks to Shanti's post that it was "Alert", the arcade sounds the same...Good grief it was poor :)

But that aside Shanti's game is a bloody amazing port, what he's shoved in to both versions defies belief but more importantly, its PLAYS REALLY WELL....

/me passes Shanti a virtual beverage of his choice as a thank you...You are a star...

• Like 2

people exchange 16bit processor for benefit, you've heard about the trend of exchanging processors on 6809, because it can be done?

Of course it's a benefit; It's kind of like driving a Porsche in the city when a Volkswagen will do. No Porsche owners are saying "you must" drive a Porsche; but they might say it's "a lot of fun to drive" and that it's "nice to have the power under the hood when you want to use it", especially when you get out on the open road.

When I say, "because it can be done", I mean that there are several mass produced options available that weren't there just a few years ago.

Edited by MrFish

Of course it's a benefit; It's kind of like driving a Porsche in the city when a Volkswagen will do. No Porsche owners are saying "you must" drive a Porsche; but they might say it's "a lot of fun to drive" and that it's "nice to have the power under the hood when you want to use it", especially when you get out on the open road.

When I say, "because it can be done", I mean that there are several mass produced options available that weren't there just a few years ago.

exactly. No Porche driver will say that he has VW, he does not try to register car in VW fans club, and does not encourage the manufactory to produce parts that match VW and Porche simultaneously :-)

Edited by xxl

um many of the same parts were on VW Audi and Porsche.... ;) not that it matters. There were some major difference between them. Distinctively different handling and body. and for the Porsche major engine changes. Still amazing the number of parts that still had VW molded, stamped, or etched into them.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

exactly. No Porche driver will say that he has VW, he does not try to register car in VW fans club, and does not encourage the manufactory to produce parts that match VW and Porche simultaneously :-)

Haha... it's an analogy related to the speed only; don't extend it beyond it's use. Achieving the speed in this case is just upgrading the engine. The engine is still in the same family and the rest of the machinery is still from the maker.