IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

so the analogy is a VW owner with a Porsche engine :-) and it is still VW ;-) ... because it has an internal combustion engine and we do not give it a jet engine.

No, it's actually a little more fine-grained than that. It's more that the 6502 itself is enhanced, not completely replaced. This processor supports all of the formally documented functions.

We're getting away from the point, though. You said, "there is a trend that you must change cpu to 16bit for smooth efects". I don't believe anyone is saying a 65816 is necessary for smooth effects, but rather that is can be fun and useful to own such an upgrade.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

exactly. No Porche driver will say that he has VW, he does not try to register car in VW fans club, and does not encourage the manufactory to produce parts that match VW and Porche simultaneously :-)

Whether it's still an Atari or not is really a matter of viewpoint.

Is the Apple II GS an Apple II? Sure, and enhanced Apple II, because Apple made it and they said so.

This upgrade was done by hobbyists; it's not a machine manufactured by Atari themselves; but it's not too far removed from what was done with the II GS.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

It made me laugh (and trust me I don't feel much like laughing at the moment) when I heard the "A lie" and heard thanks to Shanti's post that it was "Alert", the arcade sounds the same...Good grief it was poor :)

Well, how about the "Condishu Wed"? :D

I like the "English as a second language" voices, though. It gives you a clear sense of where the game is from.

• Like 3

I can hear and understand everything being said except.... when the alert alert or alarm alarm is said... everyone thinks it's saying a lie a lie or Allie Allie unless we are saying aline aline? It's the only thing we can't make out... all else is spot on...

My memory is from 30 years ago, but the arcade machine sounded exactly the same to me...."Allie Aliie". To me it's part of the charm of the game.

• Like 3

And here's the finished white-background version.

[Note: It's a completely separate work from the black-background version, as there's more to the differences than just the background color.]

Lighter Blues

post-6369-0-08329600-1513303220_thumb.png

Darker Blues

post-6369-0-92054600-1513303230_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 5

Well, how about the "Condishu Wed"? :D

I like the "English as a second language" voices, though. It gives you a clear sense of where the game is from.

And the classics like "All your bases belong to us" and Castlevania's "Have at you" (although this is a genuine fencing term I'm told) but these are not in the same 'deformed' English like Condishu Wed, still as you say, they give the game a sense of where its from. Mind you, its all more understandable than the language the youth use around here ie 'Fam' and 'Brah' (the easier ones).

Take me back to a time more kids stayed in school and applied themselves!

One response to several comments...

This is an awesome port! I have always sucked at this game but that is my problem.
Thanks for sharing the sample playing code, I've been looking for something like that.

The darker logo looks better IMHO.

Upgrading the 6809 to a 6803 isn't quite the same as upgrading from a 6502 to a 65816.
The 6309 doesn't really have any compatibility issues. Nobody seems to have used undocumented opcodes on the 6809.
The reason for upgrading is similar though... to get more out of the machine.
It's a shame the 65802 wasn't introduced sooner and that it had caught on better.
I think 65816 owners are more interested in just being able to run everything first, and enhanced speed or features are secondary.

One response to several comments...

This is an awesome port! I have always sucked at this game but that is my problem.

Thanks for sharing the sample playing code, I've been looking for something like that.

The darker logo looks better IMHO.

Upgrading the 6809 to a 6803 isn't quite the same as upgrading from a 6502 to a 65816.

The 6309 doesn't really have any compatibility issues. Nobody seems to have used undocumented opcodes on the 6809.

The reason for upgrading is similar though... to get more out of the machine.

It's a shame the 65802 wasn't introduced sooner and that it had caught on better.

I think 65816 owners are more interested in just being able to run everything first, and enhanced speed or features are secondary.

Oops... too much time on the MC-10. 6309 is correct.

• Like 2

I downloaded the last versions, but I couldn't get them to load completely. I didn't mention it because no one else was, so I figured it was a issue with my equipment. It turns out, after trying again yesterday, it is something to do with A.P.E and the APELoader for loading .XEX's. probably something in the settings I have to change. But I loaded it with AspeQT. I've only made it to level 4 so far, but I'm enjoying the heck out of this game. I remember playing it in the arcade years ago (I have played betas of this 8-bit version as they were released) and I always loved it, but was terrible at it. It's great to have such and accurate version on our Ataris. I WILL get good at it now, no quarters needed!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I thought he was talking about this: Liber809

Ah, switching to a 6809, not from one on anther machine.

I misunderstood, but it's still people trying to push the hardware to it's limits..

I'm pretty sure a 65816 will be more useful in an Atari, but the Liber809 is certainly interesting... at least if you just want to run OS-9.

If it had supported switching between the 6502 and 6809 I might be more thrilled about it.

I'm pretty sure a 65816 will be more useful in an Atari, but the Liber809 is certainly interesting... at least if you just want to run OS-9.

It's a neat upgrade, but pretty much an academic exercise in the final analysis.

If it had supported switching between the 6502 and 6809 I might be more thrilled about it.

This should have been the goal of the project. It's a pretty lonely place for an Atari to be, with only a 6809 inside.

• Like 2

so the analogy is a VW owner with a Porsche engine :-) and it is still VW ;-) ... because it has an internal combustion engine and we do not give it a jet engine.

Thats perfect. You DO know that VW and Porsche and Audi have been together for years, right?

I put a Porsche engine in my VW, and it was almost a Drop-In fit. Very easy to do.

More power, very little work required.

Sounds just like an 802/816.

Thats perfect. You DO know that VW and Porsche and Audi have been together for years, right?

I put a Porsche engine in my VW, and it was almost a Drop-In fit. Very easy to do.

More power, very little work required.

Sounds just like an 802/816.

What Porsche engine did you put into what Volkswagen? I can't think of any that would be that easy...

Depends on your definition of easy... for some cutting out motor mounts and welding new ones in, is easy and fun, they do it before corn flakes finish up by lunch and and are cruisin by night... for others it's a 3 month long project... depends on you and what you do..

Edited by _The Doctor__

I don't know how easy it is, but I know some people have put Porsche engines in the old air-cooled Vanagons. I remember seeing one for sale, in fact, when I was looking to buy my Westfalia 15 yeas ago.

I think it had a 911 engine in it. The one thing I do remember about the install is that it sat higher in the engine compartment (maybe 3 - 5 inches). So the guy had built an extension over the top (in place of the stock, flush cover) and used a thinner cushion (that sits over the top of the engine), in order to keep the height in line with the back seat when folded down into a bed with it.

Edited by MrFish

We did state it deserves the full treatment... not sure they want to do all the work and put it out there as we've not heard anything saying yeah awesome expect to see in the future.. I can understand that it's a big undertaking to do the whole shebang maybe some one who enjoys putting the stuff together will offer to do it for them or get permission to do so..

A full on multi physical release. It is that good... and after a few more people play it a while longer I am sure we'll know of anything that's gone wrong... I haven't run into anything that didn't work properly on the earlier installments and don't expect these final releases to have any issues either, so far it looks and sounds spot on, it's wonderful.

• Like 1

Let me first say what an awesome job that has been done on this rendition of Bosconian. I downloaded the latest version a few days back, and although I only had a chance to play it for a short while, it totally blew me away as to how well done and amazing it truly is. And the most amazing thing of all, is that something so fantastic was done for FREE. This would easily surpass anything I've seen that requires $$$ to play. What a great gift you've given to this community!!!

- Michael

• Like 5