IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Well I looked through the manual and didn't see any required specs for a TV. I am curious as to what TV you have.

Sure I can verify 2 different TVs it will work on, both LED TVs.

Vizio 29" E291-A1 TV from 2012 with a 25ms input lag (displaylag.com)

And currently using Samsung 32" UN32EH4003 which has a 26ms input lag

On both of these I have no problems with mario, tyson, or when I had a PS2(mini) going uptight stuff like Gradius 3/4 and 5, or the music game Gitaroo Man.

This site has a nice index of TVs that work great for gaming needs, I used it to buy the top one, the second I inherited from my grandma and lucked out.

• Like 1

Not sure if this was posted, but Eurogamer's Digital Foundry covered it.

One of his more lackluster attempts, I'd say. And why ignore the RetroUSB AVS for in the comparisons? Even if he didn't own one, he doesn't even acknowledge its existence. At one point he even mentioned a cheaper option than the Analogue NT and I figured he'd finally at least give it a nod, yet he was leading up to the upcoming FPGA based Analogue NT Mini.

The point is, it does matter, not all TVs are alike.

Not all users are alike, either. You can have the exact same conditions experienced by two people, yet get two drastically different opinions on this topic.

Two people going back and forth on how bad or non-existent the input lag may be, is an exercise in futility.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

True enough some people are sensitive more to things than others, and a select few would fall into a level of hyper sensitivity to one thing or another, maybe input lag, or perhaps a game like DOOM or Quake would make them want to vomit. You just never know.

That's not a bad review DF did there. I really hadn't noticed the audio on the DPCM was off, but it's not glaring either so it's not a huge problem. I've seen clips of games that use it a lot like Gauntlet II on a busted open hakchi2 cracked system and all those vocals and sfx sound right to me but perhaps a side by side would show otherwise.

• Like 1

One of his more lackluster attempts, I'd say. And why ignore the RetroUSB AVS for in the comparisons? Even if he didn't own one, he doesn't even acknowledge its existence. At one point he even mentioned a cheaper option than the Analogue NT and I figured he'd finally at least give it a nod, yet he was leading up to the upcoming FPGA based Analogue NT Mini.

As I was watching the video, I was constantly reminded of the AVS being 2.5x cheaper than the NT Mini. An AVS plus Everdrive or PowerPak will certainly set you back some coin, but overall is very worth it.

Also found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Classic-Edition-154-games-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-Mini-/142268414943?hash=item211fdbbbdf:g:z~4AAOSw2xRYc~cm

I have seen multi carts before but not with the nes classic logo. And famicom not even nes. Wow amazing what people will do to profit.

Don't ever buy on eBay. AliExpress is cheaper if you must buy their Chinese bootleg crap...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-Best-Games-of-NES-game-cartridge-Earthbound-FinalFantasy123-Faxanadu-TheZelda12-Megaman123456-Turtles1234-Kirby-sAdventure/32744705881.html

• Like 1

Zonie, on 06 Feb 2017 - 02:37 AM, said:

I thought about buying a bunch for the folks here. My wife was with me...

I'm in Hsinchu the rest of the week If I come across any, who wants what?

No promises, but maybe I can score a few.

Thanks for the offer Zonie!

At any other time I might take you up on it. Unfortunately for me, money's tight 'til next month. My post was just a dream at this time...

Maybe there'll be some other takers.

Thanks for the offer Zonie!

At any other time I might take you up on it. Unfortunately for me, money's tight 'til next month. My post was just a dream at this time...

Maybe there'll be some other takers.

To be honest, I've overspent my wad on Switch preorders, but thanks for the offer. I'm really holding out that I can just pick one up for retail at some point, and maybe get a Fami version at a later date if Play Asia or Amiami or eBay Japan reellers ever gets them in stock without excessive gouging.

I'd take another to hack it, but that's greedy for now with so many who can't get one. My attitude would change though in person if I saw one on a shelf but not going to milk it online. Yeah I could bust open what I have, but it was a early Christmas gift and two if i did break it I'd be screwed with a brick.

So does the hack involve accessing via the "power" port on the back which is basically a micro USB connector? Or is there some other method internally?

The controller ports?

You plug in the MicroUSB connector to a PC, then hold RESET while you POWER on, and it boots into diagnostic mode. From there you can use a software app to dump the OS, tamper with the files, then reflash the device. Turn off the Mini and pray to the Lord it isn't bricked when you power it on again. If successful, you'll have new games added to the menu. I totally get adding a few extra games to the menu, but these ass clowns attempting to preload 700 games on it would be better off buying a Raspberry Pi 3 and cheap enclosure.

If I could add 30 additional games...

Tetris

Tengen Tetris

Tengen Ms Pacman

Bomberman

Bomberman II

Megaman III

Castlevania III

Contra

Loopy's SMB2j MMC3 hack

Duck Tales

Duck Tales II

Tiny Toon Adventures

Tiy Toon Adventures II

Chip & Dale

Chip & Dale II

Darkwing Duck

Bubble Bobble II

Bonk's Adventure

Panic Restaurant

Little Samson

Fire N Ice

Earthbound

River City Ransom

Blaster Master

Wario's Woods

Yoshi's Cookie

Devil World

Rodland

Gradius II (VRC4 - if supported)

Parodius Da! (VRC4 - if supported)

Prolly missing some essential hits but there's my list. :P

• Like 1

Way off topic, but since you're in Taiwan right now, I am compelled to tell you to make sure you catch some budaixi/budaihsi glove puppetry, which you can do either via the Pili Taiwan Channel on TV or via DVDs purchased at the ubiquitous Family Mart or 7-Eleven shops (new episodes are released weekly at those shops in this format; the TV channel shows older material). Taiwan is the world leader when it comes to making puppetry look jaw-droppingly amazing, using it as a medium for telling wuxia-style stories. Pili is the most well known studio (but not the only one), and your average Taiwanese citizen should at least be vaguely aware of Pili budaihsi, in the way that every American at least has heard of Star Trek. The single-episode (~1 hour) DVDs are cheap and make fun souvenirs, especially since they're now made without region coding (they used to be Taiwan's Region 3)--just be aware that there are no English subtitles, so it would mostly be for the novelty value of a visual storytelling medium almost completely absent in Western television. Supermarionation would be the closest thing, and that's comparatively primitive.

As an example, here's the opening title from Pili's current series, Pili Destiny: The Battle of the Immortals and Demons. A word of caution: if you have a fear of puppets, this will not help in the least!

Okay, done with my sidetrack! The NES Classic Edition . . . I don't have one! Do I want to spend more than MSRP for one? No! Do I even want to spend the MSRP? . . . Uh, not really, actually. Not much of an NES guy. I mostly follow this thread just out of curiosity regarding the stock issue.

onmode-ky

Edited by onmode-ky
  • Like 1