IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Finally, I strongly suspect they are going to use the Namco version of Pac-Man for the NES compared to the Tengen one, given how they are using Galaga on here which is also a Namco game. I'm not even sure who has the rights to Tengen's video games now.

Galaga was technically published by Bandai in the US, which is all but moot anyway because they later merged with Namco. The 1993 reissues of Pacman and Ms Pacman were the only NES games originally published by Namco in the United States, though they had a stronger presence as a developer for the Famicom in Japan. Fun fact, Namco Pacman is exactly the same as the Tengen version, but like the Tetris scandal, Ms Pacman got a completely different and arguably inferior licensed variant of Ms Pacman. Ms Pacman was never released on the Famicom, and the SNES and Genesis/MD got the superior Tengen version ported over.

We can actually be thankful that Namco reissued Pacman on the NES in 1993. Nintendo refuses to acknowledge that Tengen ever produced three licensed games games for the NES including Pacman, Gauntlet, and RBI Baseball. The other two licensed NES games they refused to acknowledge the existence of are Mike Tyson's Punchout and Stadium Events, which were reissued as Punchout (featuring Mr Dream) and World Class Track Meet. Were it not for the Namco reissue of Pacman in 1993, we would likely have never gotten it released for Virtual Console.

• Like 1

My gripe is that I wouldn't have put all 3 Mario's on the system, they could've spread them out, would've made it a bit more exciting. You know, put it onto the next version. I'll bet there will be another NES featuring Duck Hunt (plus a mini gun) and several other shooters.

This might be a neat little seller for Nintendo, seeing they are further down than third here in Europe.

Edited by high voltage

What a strange gripe to complain that Nintendo included all three domestic releases of what was the Nintendo Entertainment System's flagship franchise.

I think you'd be the only one to find it enjoyable to have seen that set be left incomplete. I for one am glad to see that Nintendo didn't leave any glaring holes of major significance where their 1st party lineup is concerned. The major pre-NES arcade ports are here, all three primary Super Mario Brothers titles are here, Metroid is here, both Zelda's are here, Kirby's Adventure is here, etc.

All that was left behind for domestic NES releases are sports games, a few sequels to less beloved franchises like the StarTropics sequel, Zapper titles that would've resulted in a substantially higher price point, and B tier releases like Mach Rider and Clu Clu Land. Sure beats the NES Remix model where it was obvious they were planning for a sequel from the start.

Excitebike for the NES has the save option, you just need special and custom hardware to connect it to a tape drive. Excitebike for the VC has the save tracks options omitted. The NES Classic Edition will have multiple save and restore states, so they will have to do for your custom tracks.

This isn't true. I just tested it on the Wii and Wii U versions to confirm my recollections. Both allow for a track to be saved, just as the Famicom original did.

I don't own any NES downloads on the 3DS so I can't vouch for how it handles this over there, but I don't see why Nintendo would've done it any differently here or on this upcoming NES Mini. [Edit: Wikipedia says it was removed for the 3DS Virtual Console release.]

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

No footage here of menus and such that would be unique to this, but here's a trailer for it just the same.

And a size comparison...

Cn55xCeVMAEVDF7.jpg

In addition, I've seen 7' cited as the controller length, although I haven't seen any source of that information.

And comparing YouTube videos from the Wii U to that trailer sure makes it look like the brightness is much more like original NES hardware rather than the dimmed output as seen on the Virtual Console that makes NES games look sort of dull and drab.

Well if the controller cables are too short, Couldn't you just get a real long HDMI cable and bring the MiniT right where you need it? :)

Thanks for the updates, guys.

I wonder how they are going to handle the letter for Startropics? I know the Wii release used a 'virtual letter' that you used the remote to dunk in water, if I recall correctly. Could do something similar here.

I seem t recall gameplay differences between the two Pac-Man's. I'll have to fire them up.

Thanks for the updates, guys.

I wonder how they are going to handle the letter for Startropics? I know the Wii release used a 'virtual letter' that you used the remote to dunk in water, if I recall correctly. Could do something similar here.

I seem t recall gameplay differences between the two Pac-Man's. I'll have to fire them up.

To me it seems like the Tengen version is harder to control compared to the Famicom version on my 400 in 1 cart. Along with the monster names. Anyone concur?

What a strange gripe to complain that Nintendo included all three domestic releases of what was the Nintendo Entertainment System's flagship franchise.

I think you'd be the only one to find it enjoyable to have seen that set be left incomplete. I for one am glad to see that Nintendo didn't leave any glaring holes of major significance where their 1st party lineup is concerned. The major pre-NES arcade ports are here, all three primary Super Mario Brothers titles are here, Metroid is here, both Zelda's are here, Kirby's Adventure is here, etc.

. [Edit: Wikipedia says it was removed for the 3DS Virtual Console release.]

I agree -- better to do ONE kickass release than spread a bunch of mediocrity across two volumes, whether they're cheaper or not. The two-volume Atari collections on DS and coming soon to ps4 and xbone come to mind.

I don't think we have the straight NES Excitebike on the 3DS, it's a remade 3D Classics version like Xevious.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. Was hoping for all 4. Bummer.

It's too early to lose hope, with high probability it's the 3-screen version as there's no indication to the contrary, but given they already have the 4-screen version available until someone gets to play it we can't say for sure. Again, not a high chance by any stretch of the imagination but it could happen.

It will the the original 3-screen NES versions. I think they would have said something if they were special editions.

Donkey Kong Jr. always had four screens on the NES. Donkey Kong for the NES on cartridge has three screens unless you play the "Donkey Kong Original Edition", which is Nintendo's ROM hack.

• Like 2

I have bitter sweet feelings. The scalpers are going to hog these things. Its going to royally suck.........

Is Gumshoe available on the Wii U store?....kind of liked it as it was my only zapper game back in the day.

There is almost no doubt the resellers will hoard these units. In my area, they line-up at the doors before the stores open. We have a store here that sells vintage & newer toys, and the owner likes to sends out his employees to scalp this kind of stuff.

• Like 1

I have bitter sweet feelings. The scalpers are going to hog these things. Its going to royally suck.........

If Nintendo floods the market, hopefully scalping will be minimal. And if they do strike, I don't think the scalpability will survive past Christmas.

Given it's gonna be on Amazon I am not sure what the scalpers would really do? It's Nintendo I doubt they will produce only 10K units or so ..... we'll see, maybe the scalpers may manage to get a delay, it's a long time from Nov 11th to Xmas, surely Nintendo can crank them up fast.

I wonder what kind of demand they forecast? These things have to be built, packed, packaged and shipped .... so they need to know a reasonable ballpark or they will end up with warehouses of inventory or not enough to satisfy demand. Anyone with manufacturing background (no MK please) can chime in and explain how long does it take to order, build, pack, package, ship etc... for units like these? Are we talking 2 weeks time or months?

Well... I don't know much about manufactoring but my SNES was made in AUG of '91 so I can assume that manufacturing must begin months or weeks before the launch of a system. If any of you guys own early SNES's, flip it over and look at the printed date code on the gold sticker, we may just get an idea that way...

Not worth a thread of its own and I think Bill already said that no major changes are happening for this year with it anyways, but the Sonic 25th Anniversary edition iteration of the AtGames Sega Genesis system was announced today.

http://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-tablets/nintendo-wii-u/c-744/wiii-u-consoles/p-19534/sega-mega-drive-classic-game-console-with-80-games/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-UrNoWiAUnaDOP8QQaz5tbw

Well... I don't know much about manufactoring but my SNES was made in AUG of '91 so I can assume that manufacturing must begin months or weeks before the launch of a system. If any of you guys own early SNES's, flip it over and look at the printed date code on the gold sticker, we may just get an idea that way...

Of course, they have to make them in advance, several months in advance.

Well maybe at the time of the SNES, it was only "weeks" in advance, but for example, we now know that the huge falure rate of the Xbox 360 was already planned by Microsoft almost 6 months before the Xbox 360 launch, but Microsfot preferred to make a first batch of console, then solve the issue (including a program for replacing the consoles, as the KNEW they were going to fail), rather than delaying the relaese of the 360.

Interestingly, the PAL SNES might have been made only wekks before the release; since the PAL SNES only have some writings being different from the Super Faicom, meant that Nintendo probably started making PAL SNES by taking SuFami chells and printing the PAL markings on them, makign the process much faster than the US SNES that had a different shell.

Not worth a thread of its own and I think Bill already said that no major changes are happening for this year with it anyways, but the Sonic 25th Anniversary edition iteration of the AtGames Sega Genesis system was announced today.

http://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-tablets/nintendo-wii-u/c-744/wiii-u-consoles/p-19534/sega-mega-drive-classic-game-console-with-80-games/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-UrNoWiAUnaDOP8QQaz5tbw

I asked them to get the press release out this week, but it didn't happen (argh!). Interestingly, that listing omits the special feature, which you can probably infer from what games are included.

EDIT: Actually, their game listing is completely wrong, so you might not be able to infer what the special feature is.

EDIT 2: The press release will go out on Tuesday.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1