IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Of course I can always remove a couple of the more redundant Flashbacks, but I have at least two slots left in the middle of this cabinet I made for my Flashbacks. I look forward to having an NES Classic in there this year. :)

I have to admit I don't like having to convert from HDMI to Composite to maintain compatibility with my existing setup and other units, but I understand the move toward this.

th_IMG_20160718_200907_zpsoexbla7j.jpgth_IMG_20160718_201213_zpsxscoyxbm.jpg

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat
  • Like 4

Ohhh, seems to be some good news, they won't be using the terrible dark color palette from the Virtual Console.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/nes-classic-edition-games-look-better-than-virtual-console-emulation/

I'd wait for some firsthand accounts to be sure about that. The article is basing their comments on the promo video, and someone easily could have boosted the contrast and saturation in post production.

• Like 2

They look dark on my HD TV when using them with the Wii U VC.

I'm pretty sure if I go into the Wii backwards compatibility mode and run the original emulators there, they look bright. Just differences in the emulator I suppose.

They look fine for me on the Wii, played on a CRT.

For NES, the Wii counterparts were very dark, too. I can't take screenshots, but jumping back and forth on my Wii U a couple of times in Super Mario Brothers 3 and Zelda shows little difference between the Wii and Wii U versions on the same system.

Here's a quick comparison off Google Images showing screenshots taken from original hardware on the left and the Wii Virtual Console running in 240p mode via composite on the right. Both were taken by the same capture equipment.

tumblr_nnv85ae7PA1rpku4no1_1280.png

And one for SMB3 via the same conditions.

tumblr_nnv85ae7PA1rpku4no2_r1_1280.png

007 would notice in a second if he ever compared with original hardware on the same television to his NES Virtual Console downloads. They're not so dark as to be significantly problematic, so it can sneak by some people unnoticed. But if one ever made a direct comparison, it's like night and day. Or put in NES Remix on your Wii U and see just how bright and colorful they are thanks to this one more accurately presenting the brightness and colors of its source material.

And while I have no first hand experience, I've also read that it's very dark on the 3DS as well. But my 3DS is always played within range of my Wii U, so I have little need to double dip for NES Virtual Console downloads.

Especially without remappable button controls on the 3DS...

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

TRU preorders sold out almost immediately this morning. Still nothing on Amazon yet. I hope this isn't Amiibo all over again... :sad:

These units really need to get in the hands of nostalgic fans, not collectors/resellers/hoarders... :sad:

If preorders are selling out like hot cakes big N will likely commission more, there's plenty of time ... and big N does not like when someone else makes the profit so they will make sure there's as much as needed (yeah the Wii was a little of a surprise for them too).

• Like 1

I tend to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. They usually know what they're doing. For instance:

1. They don't always sell popular hardware on Amazon (new 3ds comes to mind), because they know evil scalpers will grab them easily that way

2. Perhaps the NES side of the Virtual Console is deliberately dark, to avoid the kind of bright static images that could burn into a CRT or plasma display.

I'm HOPING I can walk into my local Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. on release date or soon after and find one on the shelves.

Or am I just being silly? :ponder:

I never seriously considered pre-ordering this considering that I expected a ton to be made and don't want to pay shipping.

• Like 1

I'm HOPING I can walk into my local Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. on release date or soon after and find one on the shelves.

Or am I just being silly? :ponder:

I never seriously considered pre-ordering this considering that I expected a ton to be made and don't want to pay shipping.

Better to preorder than fight lines on release day. If people will stand in line for Amiibo, they will definitely stand in line for this.

I even preorder 5 Amiibo on Best Buy Site to store. Rosalina, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Boo. It will be nice to re-experience walking past the posers standing in line at the door for ONE Amiibo, then checking out with five... :twisted:

• Like 1

TRU preorders sold out almost immediately this morning. Still nothing on Amazon yet. I hope this isn't Amiibo all over again... :sad:

These units really need to get in the hands of nostalgic fans, not collectors/resellers/hoarders... :sad:

I'm not surprised one bit. Going to be tough getting a hold of one before the holidays.

Yeah, there's a selection of about 15 different Super Nintendo games for the New 3DS Virtual Console for sale at eight bucks apiece. This is fairly new, and only on the revamped New 3DS model from 2015.

I am aware of the SNES games. In fact I beat the special world in SMW on my N3DS with the help of some save sates. :grin:

The subject was NES Mini and you mentioned SNES VC games. I do hope they make a SNESClassic Mini sequel. ;-)

It's too early to lose hope, with high probability it's the 3-screen version as there's no indication to the contrary, but given they already have the 4-screen version available until someone gets to play it we can't say for sure. Again, not a high chance by any stretch of the imagination but it could happen.

Thanks for the reply. I sure hope so!

Well, if anyone has a good website to pre-order these from, share the link. :)

Probably wont help most here, but Nintendo has them in the UK for preorder on their site

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-classic-mini/nintendo-classic-mini-nintendo-entertainment-system.list

you can also order from amazon.co.uk and they ship to the US. probably will come with the wrong power supply though. works out to be about $66 shipped.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Entertainment-Electronic/dp/B01IFJEWTM

edit:

actually comes with a USB cable for power so should be good to go!