IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

The question stays though ... aside the nice box and controllers (and theirs maybe future std connector for this kind of things) ..... why bother when you can have all that today on an RPi 2/3 with RetroPie (or other setup)?

Is the box really that worthy? If so someone should start making lots of RPi cases to replicate old systems just for RetroPie sake.

I understand that the SW layer (presentation/selection) is likely much more polished in the NES mini maybe that justifies the added value .... maybe!

Indeed. I'd like to build a mini-5200 of a sort. The machine's styling is timeless. And I'm pretty sure its roomy enough to house a mini-itx AND an R-Pi. Question is, what would I do with the cartridge slot?

Anyhow -- I think that a polished front end, plug-n-play, NO configuration, and it-just-works, is totally essential to a consumer product. I know people that are scared shitless to set up an AirPrinter for chrissakes! An AirPrinter!!! Can you believe it???

• Like 2

I can believe it! :D

I was primarily a PC gamer throughout the 90's, and later got into a few consoles of the time, and I can say there is great value in things that "just work".

With that said, I also know a lot of people that are just so unmotivated, fear of anything beyond plug n play, is an easy out to preserve their lack of motivation. :)

I have used emulators since the days of DOS, and that experience is the core of my appreciation for the actual Plug-N-Play systems. With all their flaws, at least these AtGames systems "work" for the most part. I welcome improvements to come. :)

MrBlackCat

• Like 2

Also, doesn't a PI require a proper shutdown (software-wise) to avoid potential boot problems? The NES Mini is likely designed to boot safely after being turned off manually via its power button.

yes any of the sb'c will do that, but there's ways to handle that, which brings me up to my main point, you can not buy a pi and plug it into your tv and play mario3 within 60 seconds of walking in the door with it, its a computer, you have to setup an OS, you have to find the roms, you have to setup your controllers, wifi tv type etc and if you want a power switch that shuts down the system properly you need to buy or make a circuit

what do you have to do with the mini, apply power plug in tv and controllers and your off

• Like 2

I have used emulators since the days of DOS, and that experience is the core of my appreciation for the actual Plug-N-Play systems. With all their flaws, at least these AtGames systems "work" for the most part. I welcome improvements to come. :)

MrBlackCat

I think that a lot of the improvements are smaller things, details. And oftentimes I believe the developer, when working against a corporate induced deadline, pushes those finishing touches by the wayside. Not all that different than the point of diminishing returns.

As for why not just get a PI. Well the case has nothing to do with it. This is official (licenced and endorsed) by Nintendo. Raspberry is not official. I know nobody ever got into trouble. But why take a chance.

Officially sanctioned by Nintendo too. Not a Janky Famiclone cased in an N64 controller.

Also setting up a Retro Pie is not for the faint of heart. I spent a couple days fugging around with my Raspberry Pi Mame Porta Pi arcade before I got it running correctly.

• Like 1

Anyhow -- I think that a polished front end, plug-n-play, NO configuration, and it-just-works, is totally essential to a consumer product. I know people that are scared shitless to set up an AirPrinter for chrissakes! An AirPrinter!!! Can you believe it???

What is this? A wifi printer driver? "Shitless" how?

When Keatah said this, my first thought was, "3D printer that prints air..." :lol:
  • Like 1

They are selling like hot cakes this morning on ebay,,, For around $225 dollars. :ponder:

I for one, feel sorry for all the yuppies out there buying it at this price. The fact its still scalping on ebay for 3-4x market price shows it's still a hot item. I hope Nintendo floods the market on Black Friday so the scalpers can "eat it..." :roll:
  • Like 1

Indeed. I'd like to build a mini-5200 of a sort. The machine's styling is timeless. And I'm pretty sure its roomy enough to house a mini-itx AND an R-Pi. Question is, what would I do with the cartridge slot?

I saw the other day a kickstarter that funds creation of SNES and NES cartridge slots for the RPi. I think someone here linked it. Why not such a project for other consoles? I'd love to add that to my Pi project!

Officially sanctioned by Nintendo too. Not a Janky Famiclone cased in an N64 controller.

Also setting up a Retro Pie is not for the faint of heart. I spent a couple days fugging around with my Raspberry Pi Mame Porta Pi arcade before I got it running correctly.

Problem with Retropie is that, for better or for worse, it's a jack of alltrades, and while that's not neccesarily a bad thing, when it comes to controller emulation, that could be a huge problem. I'm considering setting up multiple SD cards for different systems to make it so I'm not putzing around with configurations all the time. Like Intellivision, Colecovision and 5200 on one card, 2600, 7800, NES and Genesis on one, SNES on another, A couple different mame cards based on controller setup and so on.

• Like 1

I'm considering setting up multiple SD cards for different systems to make it so I'm not putzing around with configurations all the time. Like Intellivision, Colecovision and 5200 on one card, 2600, 7800, NES and Genesis on one, SNES on another, A couple different mame cards based on controller setup and so on.

If you're going that deep, why not take it up a notch? Everything is cheap enough you could just make/buy dedicated cases for different console types. https://www.etsy.com/market/raspberry_pi_case

I am a filthy Philistine, I just use a SNES-like controller for everything.

• Like 1

Everytime something good comes out that people can't have, it gets ripped on badly. Just shrug off the one star reviews and laugh at all the scalpers who get stuck with unsold inventory when Nintendo restocks the hell out of this thing after Thanksgiving.

That said, this strategy could seriously backfire on Nintendo if the promised restocks don't come. :roll:

• Like 2

I saw the other day a kickstarter that funds creation of SNES and NES cartridge slots for the RPi. I think someone here linked it. Why not such a project for other consoles? I'd love to add that to my Pi project!

Have you seen the Retrode?

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/71-retrode-2-retrode-4260416650091.html

Edited by Newsdee