IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

It would make sense to me if it were a test to see the demand for a bundle of games. When people describe the value of it I see more of it in the sense of the games than the hardware looking like an NES to an extent that the hardware is worded like the free part. For an example, I have read things like,"It is $60 for 30 games. That is only $2 per game." as if the games are the only thing that is being paid for which implies that the hardware is the free part instead of people saying things like,"It is $60 for the NES mini that comes included with 30 free games." In other words, it seems that people describe the value more in terms that it is the ability to play a bundle of 30 games on an HDTV than to have a cute mini NES hooked up to their TV or sitting on a shelf. So, since Nintendo is seeing a high demand mostly for the bundle of 30 games part then they could be using it as a test to come to a conclusion something like,"Why completely exhaust the demand for this bundle of games by using it to sell NES Classic Editions when we could use the same bundle latter for the Switch? Maybe we could sell the same bundle in a Switch Game Card? Or maybe we could sell the same bundle in the Virtual Console? Maybe we could come up with new bundles to sell with either of those methods? Maybe latter we could have a limited edition NES themed Switch that comes with the bundle?"

To put that another way, Nintendo has said(paraphrasing) that one of the reasons they are starting to get into mobile games isn't just to get mobile sales but to get people more interested in their franchises to create demand to get them to buy dedicated Nintendo gaming hardware. For an example, they have Pokemon Go so people may buy a 3DS for Sun and Moon or later buy a Switch for a Pokemon game that is exclusive for it. So, just as their mobile gaming strategy includes giving a taste of games to get more on the 3DS/Switch the plug and play strategy could be about giving a taste of Virtual Console bundles. Just look at the hype and demand over these 30 games. It already has people wanting a Super NES mini. Why focus on completely exhausting the demand with the NES Classic and a future demand with a Super NES Classic when they could switch the demand for both to the Switch along with potentially even emulating up to the Game Cube in Virtual Console/Game Card? It doesn't get much more mini through HDMI than small downloads and/or small Game Cards that all conveniently play on a handheld that can dock to an HDTV.

You forget the fact that maybe the people buying the NES Mini don't want a full fledged console, that they have to buy more shit for in order to use it. Consoles cater to diehards and fanboys. Plug-and-plays cater to casuals. Anyone with a half dozen or more systems ranging from retro to modern and a shelf full of games and a box full of controllers is not the intended market. Nor are the geeks and otakus who only want to hack it to bits and make a custom Raspberry Pi enclosure.

You are not buying an 30-year-old NES that takes carts; you are not buying a replica that looks cute on a shelf; you are not buying a software bundle of 30 games that needs some other expensive hardware platform to play. You're buying nostalgia in a box essentially, and it's a damn brilliant idea. I just hope that Nintendo is serious about marketing this unit (and possibly sequels) and not just "throwing the dog a bone" while we wait for the switch to drop, the dog meaning the investors who expect quarterly profits.

• Like 1

How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

dang it! how???

Click the spoiler tag below to see how to keep an idiot busy for hours...

Okay smartypants, you've clicked the spoiler tag a dozen times now. If you're still reading this, newsflash!!!

You're an idiot!

:lolblue: :roll: :lol: :ponder: :rolling: :dunce: :???: :razz:

• Like 3

....................../´¯/)

....................,/¯../

.................../..../

............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.·´

............\..............(

..............\.............\...

Right back at ya!

........./"\

........|\./|

........|...|

........|...|

........|>~<|

........|...|

..___/'\|...|/'\__

./..|...|...|...|.\

|...|...|...|...|..\

|...|...|...|...|...\

|...|...|...|...|....)

|.................../

.\................./

..\.............../

...\....____...../

....|--//''`\--|

....|.((=+==)).|

....|--\_|_//--|

• Like 2

Consoles cater to diehards and fanboys. Plug-and-plays cater to casuals.

Something about people going ape shit over a shortage, racing to get their preorders in, hunting down stores that may have it, waiting in lines or for stores to open, scalper prices on eBay, looking at the close details like the quality of the emulation, comparing the quality to the Virtual Console, the internal components, controller extension cables, third party controllers, etc. doesn't seem very casual to me. I bet the majority that currently owns one are the diehard fanboys because the casuals would be unaffected by the hype and therefore wouldn't be as competitive at racing to get the limited stock. What do they call people who display similar behavior over the launch of a new iPhone? Diehard Apple fanboys. I have yet to see any evidence at all that Nintendo released the NES Classic Edition with casuals as the target market. All the evidence seems to point in the opposite direction. For an example, why would Nintendo have as an additional selling point for the controllers be that they could also be used for the Virtual Console if they aren't targeting the people who are diehard Nintendo fanboys to an extent to still own a Wii and/or have bought a Wii U? That is a catering to their core gamers selling point. The same thing with having a CRT filter. Since when did casuals care about emulation being able to approximate a tube TV experience? That is the kind of added value that a hardcore retro gamer would be interested in. A casual gamer wouldn't even notice, care, or even know if that was left out.

That is the kind of added value that a hardcore retro gamer would be interested in. A casual gamer wouldn't even notice, care, or even know if that was left out.

^^^^ The guy makes a few good points ^^^^

At the same time nostalgia may warrant the CRT effects just as a "do you remember those?", and the controller thing may extend appeal to people already in possession of Wii/U with a few VC games just so they can "reuse" the controller .... for example the Famicom Mini does not have detachable controllers so what I say does not apply there .... I think I had a point at some point but now I believe I missed the point.

Oh well .... sleep deprivation!!!

• Like 2

Right back at ya!

........./"\

........|\./|

........|...|

........|...|

........|>~<|

........|...|

..___/'\|...|/'\__

./..|...|...|...|.\

|...|...|...|...|..\

|...|...|...|...|...\

|...|...|...|...|....)

|.................../

.\................./

..\.............../

...\....____...../

....|--//''`\--|

....|.((=+==)).|

....|--\_|_//--|

LOL

Something about people going ape shit over a shortage, racing to get their preorders in, hunting down stores that may have it, waiting in lines or for stores to open, scalper prices on eBay, looking at the close details like the quality of the emulation, comparing the quality to the Virtual Console, the internal components, controller extension cables, third party controllers, etc. doesn't seem very casual to me. I bet the majority that currently owns one are the diehard fanboys because the casuals would be unaffected by the hype and therefore wouldn't be as competitive at racing to get the limited stock. What do they call people who display similar behavior over the launch of a new iPhone? Diehard Apple fanboys. I have yet to see any evidence at all that Nintendo released the NES Classic Edition with casuals as the target market. All the evidence seems to point in the opposite direction. For an example, why would Nintendo have as an additional selling point for the controllers be that they could also be used for the Virtual Console if they aren't targeting the people who are diehard Nintendo fanboys to an extent to still own a Wii and/or have bought a Wii U? That is a catering to their core gamers selling point. The same thing with having a CRT filter. Since when did casuals care about emulation being able to approximate a tube TV experience? That is the kind of added value that a hardcore retro gamer would be interested in. A casual gamer wouldn't even notice, care, or even know if that was left out.

Xmas gifts for casual friends, perhaps? And no, casuals aren't going to notice the slightly off noise channel in a game they haven't played for 30 years. In fact I'm extremely sensitive to stuff like wrong pitch or reversed duty cycles, and I barely noticed the noise defects in the preview videos.

We are like the top 1% of the market for this thing. It's just that Nintendo undersold this thing by 99%. The casuals this thing should be going for would just grab one off the shelves and have a blast playing if for like a week before it goes into the closet. But casuals can't have one because Nintendo only made enough copies for the 1% of die hards out there, creating a lucrative market for resellers. Would you stand in line for a potential triple digit profit with minimal investment?

I'm gonna try to pick up a second unit at TRU this Sunday. The first one is not mine to play with...

Is Boogerman on the Crap Edition?

Yes it is! :D

8A554FE3-C97C-C175-7D0B2DA5276334F6.png

^^That's my personal copy btw. It was never the mintiest copy to start with but I lost it in the couch and it got mangled bad in the mechanism. Ironic that the crappiest game in my collection got even crappier... :dunce:

I would absolutely buy the NES Crap Edition. I realize this doesn't reflect super well on me, but it's true.

If you're looking for B-listers, the Retrobit Generations has them in spades! :P