IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Okay I got a clear head now (was high on the moonshine last night) and I wanted to give my two cents on what the poster was referring to by single button turbo operation.

Lots of 3rd party controllers with turbo, especially 3D era and up, have a "Turbo" hotkey. To activate turbo on button X, you press Turbo+X and X gets assigned to some non-adjustable turbo fire rate. Press Turbo+X again to disengage turbo on the button. You can selectively turn turbo on and off for each button independently of each other. And some of the better models allow you to reset all turbo functions by holding down turbo for some predetermined length of time, in case you forgot which buttons were active. For a game like Megaman, you would have it turned on for "B" but not for "A". I've used N64 and Game Cube controllers with a single dedicated button for Turbo. Starting with the PS1 generation, it just wasn't feasible to add eight or more turbo sliders to a controller anymore, and since nearly all controllers for 5th gen and beyond used cheap microcontrollers rather than discrete logic chips, it was much more economical to add a single turbo button as opposed to discrete actuators for every button. A single microcontroller was responsible for handling all the turbo logic as well as the translation logic for sending the buttons or analog stick inputs to the console.

The NES Advantage only had two logic chips, a 7404 and a 4021, quite an impressive engineering feat given the added functionality that turbo function provided. Turbo controllers for 16-bit era often had discrete switches for each button, but later on it was much more economical and less confusing to just add a single Turbo hotkey that toggled functionality on and off for each button.

See, thanks...

I agree, what's the point of posting about the stock status of retailers when it's out of stock? We all know they're out of stock, so we don't require a notification of it.

If you want a suggestion, save the news for when it's actually in stock somewhere, or perhaps create a blog to post this stuff in. Maybe someone's interested and you can still supply this information to anyone that's been following your dates, while the thread itself can be returned to discussion on the unit itself rather than these status updates that haven't gone over very well it seems.

Edited by Atariboy

My brother-in-law obtained one off Craigslist as soon as the launch was over and probably paid only double the MSRP. I had an opportunity to play it this weekend at his house. I liked the controller, it felt pretty good even if had a more plasticky sound. That was about the only aspect of the device I could honestly praise in his presence.

The rest was negative between the shortness of the cords, the response latency, the audio inaccuracies, the missing video effects and the screen crawl. I am not sure whether his LG HDTV has any kind of game mode and I didn't get to try the Classic's video settings, but meh. $60 is halfway to a High-Def NES kit.

My brother-in-law obtained one off Craigslist as soon as the launch was over and probably paid only double the MSRP. I had an opportunity to play it this weekend at his house. I liked the controller, it felt pretty good even if had a more plasticky sound. That was about the only aspect of the device I could honestly praise in his presence.

The rest was negative between the shortness of the cords, the response latency, the audio inaccuracies, the missing video effects and the screen crawl. I am not sure whether his LG HDTV has any kind of game mode and I didn't get to try the Classic's video settings, but meh. $60 is halfway to a High-Def NES kit.

HiDef kits and likewise are not for the feint of heart! One could buy an AVS + PowerPak for the prices the Minis sell on eBay though. I plan on getting a Mini after Christmas anyway.

Interesting. I'm not sure I completely buy their story, given that this is the same company that gave us "The Great Chip Shortage of '87" and swore up and down that SMB3 was never intended for the NES (while they were making a deal to put the game in a movie). Given that the Classic was announced in JULY, with the deliberate intent of drumming up interest, it just seems absurd to me that Nintendo would fail to capitalize on the demand they spent a lot of time and money creating.

Then again... stupider things have happened. It may just be that Nintendo's marketing department really had no clue how well they'd done their job. It may also be that six months wasn't enough time to increase logistics without compromising quality. Possibilities do exist beyond "Nintendo just hates money".

This is the part I found particularly interesting:

He promises that production will continue until everyone has the games they want, and he also stresses that this release is an important part in Nintendo’s long-term strategy of reaching out to multiple generations.

Which does indicate that other plug-and-plays are in the works, or at least being strongly considered.

• Like 2

Yes, remarkably clueless. It wasn't like it wasn't blindingly obvious even before we knew this existed that something like this would sell boatloads considering what other plug and plays sold. They really need to inject some more new blood into management. They're doing better with the idea side of things, but their execution is still lacking.

• Like 4

The Nintendo of 1985 was a bold company, taking a huge risk to reopen the market for console games. The Nintendo of 2016 is a timid creature more afraid of the possibility of unsold inventory than confident of success. This bodes ill for the switch, a far more complex device to manufacture than the NES Classic Edition. People camping outside Gamestop for a week, scalpers selling for $1,200, employees monopolizing the trickle of shipments for a year, trucks getting hijacked by organized crime, the future could make people look back on the NES Classic with rose-tinted glasses.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 2

nintendo of 2016 is a company with a decade of being a pain in the ass trying to march to their own drum

they missed CD

they missed DVD

they missed HD

we got fog and ram expansions, and a wonky controller

we got 4 discs for 1 dvd game and a wonky controller

we got motion controls and limited software due to low horsepower

we got tablets like 5 years after tablets peaked

we got something we wanted, hyped to hell and back like madmen on the internet, and no stock

switch? we are promised a already released nvidia gaming device playing last gen games ... let me line up for that

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 7

nintendo of 2016 is a company with a decade of being a pain in the ass trying to march to their own drum

they missed CD

they missed DVD

they missed HD

we got fog and ram expansions, and a wonky controller

we got 4 discs for 1 dvd game and a wonky controller

we got motion controls and limited software due to low horsepower

we got tablets like 5 years after tablets peaked

we got something we wanted, hyped to hell and back like madmen on the internet, and no stock

switch? we are promised a already released nvidia gaming device playing last gen games ... let me line up for that

Nintendo should hire a company analyst...

I'm thinking Osgeld!

What's a fog expansion?

Technically, they didn't really miss DVD. It just didn't play DVD videos and they went with a mini DVD derivative with lower capacity for their medium. But it's DVD technology through and through. One of the smaller issues that have plagued them in recent decades. Doubt they lost out on many titles due to capacity concerns.

Technically, they didn't really miss DVD. It just didn't play DVD videos and they went with a mini DVD derivative

keep in mind of the time where the PS2 was the biggest selling DVD player at the moment, then fast forward today where when you buy a gamepube copy of tetris its always missing 1 out of 29 (yes I know) mini dvd's

• Like 1