IGNORED

Worst Jaguar cartridge title?

WozzyCat

To add though, it's 2016 and aside admitting it had a seminal idea later reused, I can't understand why I would want to spend more than a passing play with it.

There's recognizing the train is an evolution from horse carriages, and then there's forcing myself to a horse carriage trip across the country .... the second one is NOT an option.

You're talking about Club Drive, but the same could be said of the majority of the games on the Atari Jaguar. Even the favorites like Tempest 2000 and Aliens Vs. Predator. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

You're talking about Club Drive, but the same could be said of the majority of the games on the Atari Jaguar. Even the favorites like Tempest 2000 and Aliens Vs. Predator. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Disagree strongly about T2K, it's still a blast to play. AvP hasn't aged very well, though.

• Like 5

I finished a complete play through of the marine scenario in AvP last year. It was the first time I played it for an extended period of time since it was new (at that time I completed the alien and predator scenarios.) I had a great time playing through it. Nostalgia can only take you so far. On HLTB I submitted 10h18m49s as my play time. That's a little long for nostalgia alone.

My basis was that ClubDrive was already a subpar game back then, not true for the other 2.

T2K and even AvP although may/may not have aged well can still be played without thinking at them as unfinished ideas, or simply unfinished.

Do you still own a Jaguar and a Tempest cartridge? I've found that Cyclone 2000 on Android scratches the itch sufficiently, and that TxK on PSTV/Vita clears up the symptoms altogether.

Yes, still own a Jag (two, in fact), and T2K is about the only cart I have remaining for it. Haven't tried Cyclone 2000 or TxK, although I played plenty of T3K on the Nuon. I still prefer T2K for many reasons, though, and love firing it up every now and then.

Mmm...it's tough but i have to go with both skycopter and speedster II

Well, sure, but we're probably outside of the target demographic. My kids just love Speedster II and ask to play it whenever they can. :)

It's also probably got the tightest controls of any racing game for the Jag. :(

• Like 1

Well, sure, but we're probably outside of the target demographic. My kids just love Speedster II and ask to play it whenever they can. :)

It's also probably got the tightest controls of any racing game for the Jag. :(

Super burnout begs to differ

• Like 4

Re: T2K - I liken TxK on the PSTV as a direct hi-def evolution of T2K. I like T3K, but it's a bit of a different game than both T2K & and TxK, and somewhat hampered by various Nuon related issues.

Re: Blackout - the music that's good on it is by a musician called cTrix (look him up, he created an instrument called the gTari :) see the link). He's a good mate, if I ever get around to completing any game stuff for the Jaguar (or Unity or whatever, I never finish anything game code wise) I'll definitely be using his .mod files. One of the best chiptune / gaming musicians in Australia IMHO. There's a bunch of his .mod files online in the usual places, they're highly recommended. Check this out:

Re: Club Drive. Atari hired one Eric Smith, who I believe had been involved in the Unix like project 'Minux' (?? I think), to work on MultiTos for the Falcon. When they shifted focus to the Jaguar he worked on some games. How in hell they thought a OS type coder would be good for a 3D polygonal racing game I don't know. They should've got him to work on creating user friendly or at least 'better' coding coding tools for developers. Anyway, back in the day I thought the engine they used for Club Drive was 'good enough' (not great by any stretch, why they didn't use the Iron Soldier or Battlemorph engines for more games I don't know...reinventing the wheel for each game seems stupid to me) to port arcade perfect versions of STUN Runner, Hard Drivin'/Race Drivin', as well as containing original content, perhaps based on those titles. Imagine that. The player chooses different zones and gets full versions of arcade games as well as new stuff. I'm not a massive fan of HD and RD, but imagine three arcade perfect games plus more in the one cart. Hell, they could've even included I, Robot, and even simple polygonal versions of Breakout, Major Havoc etc.

Instead, we got a half finished, half arsed, pseudo game, with the shittiest music, worst physics, ugliest 3D models that was ever released.

CF, FFL, WMCJ, DDV, and even FO have lots of faults, some more than others (I quite liked WMCJ and FO back in the day, go figure), but at least they somewhat qualify as games. Club Drive is probably the biggest disappointment and the biggest clue from back in those times that Atari had absolutely no idea what they were doing. By they time they did during the Jaguar era (right near the end) it was already too late. One could argue that it was too late before they even released the Jaguar, some people do, I think we all knew and agree to at least some extent. ;)

Despite all this, I did spend a fair bit of time back in the day trying to eke some fun out of the game. Sucker for punishment I guess. Edited by skip
  • Like 1

In terms of biggest waste of potential...

Checkered Flag...The Jaguar hardware could of pulled off a decent Virtua Racing clone, but Rebellion were not the team to tasked with it.

Club Drive...which i recal James 'Purple' Hampton talking about in the eraly days, describing how they didn't want any bugs or frustrating gameplay aspects in, by time game was finished.

And whilst not going to be a popular choice, this is based on myself buying on day 1...

Defender 2000.

Such a massive let down after the wonders of Tempest 2000 and yes i know Atari messed Jeff about, 1st wanting it on CD, cue massive sprites etc as that was what Atari thought CD games should feature and Jeff was going through a nightmare time in his personal life, his Father seriousily ill etc, but Jeff simply wasn't the person to do Defender, IMO....

ST featured a massive sprite for your craft, as did Defender II and i just never took to the art style, nor gameplay changes Jeff had made.

Crying shame as i'd loved Jeff's take on Robotron with Llamatron.

I personally felt Archer Maclean did far better take on Defender with Dropzone on A8/C64 (though not so impressive on C64) and Super Dropzone on SNES, where i believe he said used around 90% of the original 1984 6502 code, just went to town adding a lot more Aliens, threw in 'Bosses' and more of Jupiter's moons....

So would of prefered Atari approached someone like him, rather than Jeff for Defender 2000.

No offence meant Jeff :)

:-) It would be dull as ditchwater if everyone had same views on gaming.

We are gamers,not drones.

My Defender tastes are rather unique, I was rather taken with 2600 Defender, which I know many loathe.

Jaguar wise,again i'd include Hoverstrike and Syndicate among my personal favourites, I doubt many would agree though.

It's interesting that everyone agrees that Club Drive is an absolute mess...and yet give it more than its fair share of play time. I know I secretly enjoy driving around the inside of a house, even if I feel like I should slap myself while doing it.

If you enjoy a game, then it is a good game. :) \\//,

• Like 1